Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 10:18 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,744,124 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I think the cat's the best choice. We have 4. (we're suckers) They're more inside than outside cats at the new house but we still have fewer problems than the neighbors. At the old house neighbors on both sides complained about mice and actually asked if we'd mind if our cats went into their yards to help with their mice problems.

The funniest was when we looked out front to see the three cats we had at the time triangulated around a rat in the front yard. DH said I didn't want to watch. We peeked out a few minutes later to discover that the rat had been replaced with a possum that was happily munching away on the rat. Two of the cats had backed up and the youngest one was looking at this "giant rat" with the most puzzled look on his face.

Good luck with your new furbaby mice killer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 10:50 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,420,365 times
Anyone know if Riddex

OFFICIAL RIDDEX PLUS DIGITAL REPELLER

works? Have heard the testimonials but of course they're selling the product. Sounds like you need one for each floor for it to be effective. Anyway, just curious.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:12 AM

37 posts, read 107,027 times
I just battled mice in my garage. My husband thought we only had one, but we all know that you never have just one. I went to the store and bought some of those sticky traps and put them through out the garage. By the time it was all done we had caught 12 mice. We have not had a problem since. The only bad part is if you are in a rural area the mice will attract snakes. Then you have a snake problem instead of a mice problem.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:47 AM

430 posts, read 1,358,862 times
Get a rat terrier. They will chase and kill anything with four legs that is rabbit size or less. They make good guard dogs as well.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:14 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
I'm NOT a fan of cats running loose. As a matter of fact if I do find the dark grey cat that was in our backyard (8' tall fence) and attacked our little dog I'll trap it and haul it off to the animal shelter. Most cities have leash laws even for cats and in some areas there are other more "wild" critters that will get the cats. We have owls & coyotes most around us.

You CAN have a rat/mice free home/yard. If your moving into a brand new home then the first thing you do is go get some rat poison and put it out in the attic, garage and under sinks in the cabinets. DO NOT PUT IT WHERE ANY OTHER ANIMAL OR CHILD CAN GET TO IT!!!!! This also goes for the sticky rat traps. There are bait traps that only rats/mice can get into and can be left out around dogs/cats/children. You just have to put it out where it is along their path. By eliminating them from coming in the first place by putting out bait BEFORE moving in helps longterm. If you DO get some afterwards the pest control companies CAN get them or rid your house/propery of them. Ours did one time when they came up from the creek by our house. Arrow Pest Services out of Garland. They put the safe traps out for the dogs and kids. It did not take any time to get rid of them. They looked around outside and found where they thought they were trying to build a home and took care of that (they were digging a hole by the pool pump as they like the noise and water). However, when these critters eat the poison they usually try to hide and then die. When they do it will STINK like something died for sure for about a week. You will KNOW IT too.

Other things to do that keep rats/mice away beside putting out bait in the attics, garage and under sinks:
Do not leave ANY dog food outside at all.
Keep dog food in a plastic container w/ a tight lid. I have a small garbage can w/ a lid that I keep the bag of dry dog food in the garage.
Keep trash picked up.
If you have a LOT of ground cover, get rid of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas