Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 05:57 PM

312 posts, read 797,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
correction:

Suburban/Exurban Dallas is the fastest growing region in the US - because it's the only place on the planet where you can work at a fast food restaruant, and qualify to buy a brand new 3000 sf house for 150K. Who said growth was good especially when the environment caters to this type of demographic? In 30 years everything past GWB Freeway will be a ghetto wasteland to the OK border filled with cheap vinyl houses, Costco's and strip malls. Don't get me wrong, urban Dallas is great, but 90% of Dallas is suburb/exurb.

People are moving to the Dallas suburbs for 3 reasons:
1. it's cheap.
2. it's cheap.
3. it's cheap.

not a distinction I would wear proudly, and Austin does not want the same fate.
I lived in Dallas 2002-2004 and now live in Phoenix. The only thing different between most of Phoenix and most of Dallas County is Phoenix has less humidity and more saguaro cactuses and "rock gardens" in front of the Chase bank. Phoenix is also cheap, cheap, cheap, and getting cheaper because of all the foreclosures out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 06:56 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
That is right I said I don't like a lot of social conservatism, religion or traditionalism. The Woodlands is very pretty and has everything you need especially for being such a tiny city.

Austin is mostly so-called Democrat which is fantastic I guess but the culture has a lot of old school Texas traditionalism which I am not really into at all. And unfortunately there are churches in Austin. Unfortunately with liberalism comes more liberal control of the government over the people and such strong beliefs of collectivism that perpetuate in the culture.
Churches?!?!?!? Oh NO! What a terrible place! That's EVERY CITY AND TOWN IN THE UNITED STATES!

The Woodlands certainly doesn't have everything you need unless you're a very boring person who is content with bible study and Little League and high school football (somethin tells me you ain't), but it's also a town of 85,000 and a suburb of one of the largest cities in the nation.

So basically you are looking for a pro-gay, anti-religion, anti-government control city without collectivism? Except for the pro-gay and the collectivism, you could try Cuba. If you don't want the collectivism and anti-government control, you ain't gonna find it anywhere in the world.

You expect a lot from your ideal place--something that DOES NOT EXIST IN THE WORLD WE LIVE IN!

Dallas and Austin both do a damn good job of being great places to live in, and there is very, very little difference in the cities except Austin is very much more openly socially progressive and very less diverse. That's the only difference.

You really need to get out and experience what the world actually looks like, because you have an incredibly distorted vision of reality.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:27 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,774,901 times
I am from Austin, and I don't hate Dallas. I've actually never been there before. I've heard mixed things. Some people really like like, and others don't. The most common complaint I've heard about Dallas is that the people who live there are unfriendly, conservative, materialistic, shallow, and yuppies. I am sure its a generalization, but there must be a degree of truth. I imagine quite a few of them think people from Austin are weird, pretentious, nerds, liberal, etc.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:34 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,929,154 times
That's why I just said Dallas/Houston areas are the best areas. I'm pretty sure my perception isn't distorted. No need to screech at me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post

You really need to get out and experience what the world actually looks like, because you have an incredibly distorted vision of reality.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:35 PM

I hear that too. A lot of people from Austin think Dallas is filled with angry stuff shirt republicans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
I am from Austin, and I don't hate Dallas. I've actually never been there before. I've heard mixed things. Some people really like like, and others don't. The most common complaint I've heard about Dallas is that the people who live there are unfriendly, conservative, materialistic, shallow, and yuppies. I am sure its a generalization, but there must be a degree of truth. I imagine quite a few of them think people from Austin are weird, pretentious, nerds, liberal, etc.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:00 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,311,817 times
I dislike Dallas for its size (too big, too many highways) and its faceless, bland suburbs. I find it to be too socially conservative for me. What I like about Dallas is the art scene and the renaissance of Oak Cliff. That's cool, and very Austinsh. COLUMN: The New Oak Cliff | Articles & Archives | Oak Cliff News serving the communities of Oak Cliff, Kessler Park, Winnetka Heights, Stevens Park, and the Bishop Arts District (http://www.peoplenewspapers.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publicatio ns%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F7 91&AudID=3E017068694948C3BE75FD51480D8A7D&tier=4&i d=D720D2E551C3428799C410DFA3702AA6 - broken link)

Old 07-11-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I dislike Dallas for its size (too big, too many highways) and its faceless, bland suburbs. I find it to be too socially conservative for me. What I like about Dallas is the art scene and the renaissance of Oak Cliff. That's cool, and very Austinsh. COLUMN: The New Oak Cliff | Articles & Archives | Oak Cliff News serving the communities of Oak Cliff, Kessler Park, Winnetka Heights, Stevens Park, and the Bishop Arts District (http://www.peoplenewspapers.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publicatio ns%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F7 91&AudID=3E017068694948C3BE75FD51480D8A7D&tier=4&i d=D720D2E551C3428799C410DFA3702AA6 - broken link)
You can't attack Dallas for it's faceless bland suburbs when Austin has places like Round Rock, Pflugerville, Cedar Park, Leander, Georgetown, etc...

Big D and Austin have them in the same proportions but obviously there are going to be 5x as many here.

And highways come with growth. Dallas doesn't have "too many" highways or else traffic would be better, but Austin's traffic is some of the worst in the nation for a city of its size. They absolutely don't have the infrastructure they need given the growth they've had.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:40 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post

Where did you get the idea that Dallas is socially conservative? Also, I don't use highways except as a last resort.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Where did you get the idea that Dallas is socially conservative? Also, I don't use highways except as a last resort.
Compared to Austin it is. We don't have the tolerance for freaks and hippies and the homeless and gays they have.

"Socially permissive" would probably be a better way to describe Austin, because Dallas isn't particularly conservative anymore.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:24 PM

Hey Loneranger,

Are these not freaks? If those aren't then I don't know what is....and this is all located in DALLAS,TEXAS and NOT in LIBERAL AUSTIN. OMG.

You don't see this stuff in Austin. Check out Zombie Prom. I nearly gagged all over my keyboard when I saw it LOL.

The Church Dallas Event Pictures

bwa ha ha ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Compared to Austin it is. We don't have the tolerance for freaks and hippies and the homeless and gays they have.

"Socially permissive" would probably be a better way to describe Austin, because Dallas isn't particularly conservative anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas