Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 12:03 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,066,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
There is often hostility in those areas when they find out you are from Dallas or Texas.
Quite true... the very mention of Dallas or Texas enrages those people... they shift into some kind of sociopathic rabid state. Just think of an entire city full of people like Glassbox.

This is definitely a form of mass psychosis, not normal human behavior. One clue is the weather.... where people live in cold, gloomy weather, you find an alteration in human personality that corresponds to a manic-depressive state. The clinical term for the exposure to lack of sunlight is SAD, seasonal affective disorder.

And we still have the question... why hate people from Texas? One theory is that the psychological alterations and compromises they must make to live with their madness is fragile. The existence of places like Texas threatens their ability to see their mental state as normal. You can similarly ask why Al Quaeda wants to harm individual Americans. It's a combination of mental defensiveness and a sense of defeat.... exactly what a depressive condition consists of.

I was talking last night to my daughter in Portland, Oregon, another rainy, cool, sunless place. She is saying that it's now taking her 6 months to get over the depressive gloom she encounters in the winter. She's had enough and wants out.

We whine and moan about our summers, and our sun, but the net effect of sunlight on the human psyche is mental health, at least more of it than they have in the cold-weather zones. That's why our sunbelt cities, and Dallas in particular, work so well economically, why people want to move here.

It's interesting to me that places where the fear of Global Warming is the strongest are the colder, drearier parts of America, where you'd think they could use some warming. It's as if people with personality disorders want to preserve and defend those disorders, at all costs, by defending the environment that creates their disorder. The subject is definitely politicized.

So why do they get hostile? People become that way when faced with, or forced to confront, defeat and loss. They snap into rage to defend the ego. And when your subconscious wants to defend your ego, it isn't particularly rational. The mere existence of Texas as a prosperous, happy place is a genuine affront to them, a repudiation of everything they believe in.

Last edited by aceplace; 07-14-2008 at 12:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 08:21 AM

6 posts, read 11,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
There is often hostility in those areas when they find out you are from Dallas or Texas.
Having grown up and lived most of my life in the heart of New York City, the prevailing view of Midwesterners and Southerners was that they are all intolerant hicks. Imagine my surprise when I visited the Midwest and found the level of friendliness and openness way above anything in New York. People actually wanting to be pleasant?? Who ever heard of such a thing? I have to say, though, that if you have a strong regional accent, especially a southern one, New Yorkers will go out of their way to help you. They are intrigued by a real, live Southerner.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:35 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Quite true... the very mention of Dallas or Texas enrages those people... they shift into some kind of sociopathic rabid state. Just think of an entire city full of people like Glassbox.

This is definitely a form of mass psychosis, not normal human behavior. One clue is the weather.... where people live in cold, gloomy weather, you find an alteration in human personality that corresponds to a manic-depressive state. The clinical term for the exposure to lack of sunlight is SAD, seasonal affective disorder.

And we still have the question... why hate people from Texas? One theory is that the psychological alterations and compromises they must make to live with their madness is fragile. The existence of places like Texas threatens their ability to see their mental state as normal. You can similarly ask why Al Quaeda wants to harm individual Americans. It's a combination of mental defensiveness and a sense of defeat.... exactly what a depressive condition consists of.

I was talking last night to my daughter in Portland, Oregon, another rainy, cool, sunless place. She is saying that it's now taking her 6 months to get over the depressive gloom she encounters in the winter. She's had enough and wants out.

We whine and moan about our summers, and our sun, but the net effect of sunlight on the human psyche is mental health, at least more of it than they have in the cold-weather zones. That's why our sunbelt cities, and Dallas in particular, work so well economically, why people want to move here.

It's interesting to me that places where the fear of Global Warming is the strongest are the colder, drearier parts of America, where you'd think they could use some warming. It's as if people with personality disorders want to preserve and defend those disorders, at all costs, by defending the environment that creates their disorder. The subject is definitely politicized.

So why do they get hostile? People become that way when faced with, or forced to confront, defeat and loss. They snap into rage to defend the ego. And when your subconscious wants to defend your ego, it isn't particularly rational. The mere existence of Texas as a prosperous, happy place is a genuine affront to them, a repudiation of everything they believe in.
If climate is the main reason for Texas hatred and global-warming theories, how do you explain the many Southern Californians' disdain for all things Texas?

Old 07-27-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
If climate is the main reason for Texas hatred and global-warming theories, how do you explain the many Southern Californians' disdain for all things Texas?
The hatred of Texans is more predominant in parts of California that have cool maritime weather. I.e., the coastline. Santa Monica and Malibu, etc., are more left wing than places like the hot Inland Empire. That is even more true of the San Fran Bay Area, where areas beyond the coastal hills and out of the way of the cold ocean air are more likely to contain Republicans. Thus, the differences between Berkeley and Sacramento.

Yes, people believe in a particular ideology not because it is logical and natural, but because they are affected by the climate. And the effect is so subtle and subconscious, they are not aware of it. Basically a low-level but chronic form of mental illness, caused by years of exposure to cold temperatures and a lack of sunshine. Someone who is chronically hostile to groups of people, Archie Bunker style, is definitely off his rocker.

Parts of California that have hot weather, i.e. inland, are a different world from the coast, not only in climate, but in social and ideological attitudes. It's my experience that people with a leftward ideological bent are particularly sensitive to a hot climate, and tend to avoid it. And people on the far left seem to be very prone to feel threatened by, and hostile to those who do not share their ideology, for the same reason that Catholics and Protestants tried to kill each other in Europe in the 1600s. People then felt threatened by heretics, enough to go to war with heretic countries, and the far left today is threatened by, and hostile to, the politically incorrect.

Global Warming? People who live in hot climates are already acclimated to heat. That is why the government of India has declared that it will ignore carbon emissions in order to generate more electricity for its people.

Last edited by aceplace; 07-27-2008 at 11:22 AM..

Old 07-27-2008, 12:43 PM

979 posts, read 2,092,631 times
Sacramento is predominately Democratic and liberal. Sac suburbs is republican.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
Sacramento is predominately Democratic and liberal. Sac suburbs is republican.
That is pretty much a predominant pattern of cities. The central part of the city is more radical, and the edges are not. The center of metro Dallas is also somewhat Democrat, while the suburbs are not.

The difference between Sacramento and San Franciso, however, is pretty stark. People in central Sacramento do not bear any particular onus against Texas and Texans. They are not pathological in their social and politiccal attitudes. I lived in Sacramento for several years and was an eyewitness to the sort of suburban, middle-of-the-road town it actually is.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:33 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
yes I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnorthchicago View Post
I went to visit Austin because of all the hype, and decided it wasn't for me. I have found, like you, that progressives generally talk a great line in the abstract, but when it comes down to being just plain friendly on the one-to-one I'd rather be with more conservative people, even if I may not agree with them on all points. They just seem more empathetic and try harder. Ironic, isn't it.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:39 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckellyb View Post
Austin has the San Antonio riverwalk a little over an hour away.

HUH??? Saying that makes ABSOLUTELY no sense at all. Thats like saying Dallas/Fort Worth has the Waco Suspension Bridge just an hour and a half away.........

And Austin IS MORE Pretentious than Dallas (if thats possible). I used to like Austin in the late 80s when KOOL clubs like Planetarium, and The World made you appreciate Austin. Now the clubs and the rest of the city itself is starting to remind me of Dallas.....Talk about trying to be something your not. Austin wins hands down. Austin wants to be as Glamourous as Dallas or as Hip as Houston, but it will never be more than an overgrown town with hippie-wannabes who just happen to have made a few bucks in their lifetime! Sad....SO SO SAD!!!!

Old 07-27-2008, 09:02 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
That is pretty much a predominant pattern of cities. The central part of the city is more radical, and the edges are not. The center of metro Dallas is also somewhat Democrat, while the suburbs are not.

The difference between Sacramento and San Franciso, however, is pretty stark. People in central Sacramento do not bear any particular onus against Texas and Texans. They are not pathological in their social and politiccal attitudes. I lived in Sacramento for several years and was an eyewitness to the sort of suburban, middle-of-the-road town it actually is.
So I guess traditionally conservative-verging-on-libertarian New Hampshire (Free State Project Home [ Free State Project - Liberty in Our Lifetime ]) and Alaska, about as cold and dark as you can get and still be in the US, don't count in this theory?

Old 07-27-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
So I guess traditionally conservative-verging-on-libertarian New Hampshire (Free State Project Home [ Free State Project - Liberty in Our Lifetime ]) and Alaska, about as cold and dark as you can get and still be in the US, don't count in this theory?
Probably not, due to exceptionally different circumstances.

It's a truism that the exception proves the rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas