Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2009, 10:10 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,068,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I don't care as much what the majority do, but rather knowing that someone of a moderate income like myself can afford to live in an area where I can ride the bus to work, or bike or take the car is a boon.
I'm sure that Dallas and Houston have many neighborhoods where moderate income people ride the bus to work.

Quote:
There is no "drive until you can afford a mortgage" situation unless you "need" a McMansion.
In Austin, as in any other metro, the farther out you are, the longer the commute, the less costly the land and the cheaper the housing.

Quote:
There is a growing and thriving residential core in Austin, we are getting light rail in March, transit oriented developments are popping up, and density via plans like envision central texas has support. Fortunately Austin is not yet large enough to doom it to the sprawl of other larger cities though it may happen eventually.
These things are already a fact of life in Dallas, and there is no qualitative difference between Dallas sprawl and Austin sprawl, other than the fact that DFW is larger than Austin.

Quote:
Not every Metro area looks like that even though they all have suburbs. The newer cities in the sunbelt were built off the idea of cheap gas and a car in every driveway whereas older cities like Boston were not.
True, Boston has a large urban core, but the vast majority of its metro population live in single-family housing suburbs that require a car to exist. The suburban revolution was just as popular in the dense Northeast as anywhere else because travel by car as opposed to public transit is objectively more useful to the immediate needs of the people.

The significant factor is that Austin people do not hate Dallas because Dallas is sprawled and Austin is supposed to not be sprawled. Austin is no different than Dallas in that regard. And I don't believe that the vast majority of Austin people hate Dallas, even though they may prefer Austin out of personal preference. The ones who have a visceral antagonism toward Dallas or Houston feel that way because they have some personal psychological episode or trauma that they blame on Dallas. That is the usual reason that an individual has a chronic background of hatred or antagonism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 12:06 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
I just moved from Austin, and while things are different and some things took some getting used to I like Dallas. Out of the two, though I would prefer Austin.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:19 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
I went to Austin one time about 4 years ago with my girlfriend and we both weren't that impressed with it. I've even wanted to give it a second chance for another visit but we always seem to go to San Antonio or Dallas when we want to get away from Houston. Aside from the gorgeous hills and 6th street, Austin just doesn't have the IT factor to where we really look forward to going there. I'm still planning on making another trip out there in the near future. Just don't see how a city like Austin gets more buzz than a grand city like Houston. Dallas has never had a problem getting a buzz.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:26 AM

464 posts, read 1,360,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_mom View Post
You are right - everyone already had their own friends and own agendas and they took no interest in getting to know new people.
****, dallas is like that. Dallas people are exactly like that. The only friends I have are friends from other states. I have yet to maintain a friendship with any Texan...these people are very popular hermits...meaning they have lots of friends and such but cling to them like static on a cold, yucky dallas morning....like today. This place is just downright weird.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
If you're a TRUE Texan, you must love all of Texas. Cut the nonsense and love your state inch by inch because if you don't, you're only contradicting yourself about the wonderful state of Texas that should be its own country.
She's right, she said it. Listen, Im from out of state ok and you know what comes to mind when I mention dallas, houston, austin, san antonio? its all the same ****, Cowboys, Mexicans and stockyards! Texas people and attitude pretty much remains static mile for mile. The pioneers wanted it that way, hence the name of every city after each one (i found myself watching 'the first texans' last week Yea Im sure there's a slight difference between the cities here, just like in most states...but its probably not big enough for people from elsewhere to notice. I can hardly notice it!

A texan is a texan is a texan....If I met one right now I wouldnt notice if he/she was from Dallas or Austin or wherever. The accent, the attitude and etc. are all there. Im sorry if it comes off a bit harsh, but this is coming from someone who doesnt have 'texan' glasses on. I see right through that. The people are overall similar.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:56 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Hate to break it to you, but Texas is not hip. Austin is the closest you will get. But hey, why be a follower? Be where YOU want to be.
What is *hip* anyway?

Old 01-27-2009, 07:40 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
What area do you live in Dallas? I found Denton to be as you described. In order to make new friends you have to "jump through hoops".

Whatever you do. Do not move to Austin. It is far worse there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
****, dallas is like that. Dallas people are exactly like that. The only friends I have are friends from other states. I have yet to maintain a friendship with any Texan...these people are very popular hermits...meaning they have lots of friends and such but cling to them like static on a cold, yucky dallas morning....like today. This place is just downright weird.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What area do you live in Dallas? I found Denton to be as you described. In order to make new friends you have to "jump through hoops".

Whatever you do. Do not move to Austin. It is far worse there.
i live in arlington but I hang out more in dallas much more than arlington...I wont even start on Arlington, I have yet to meet a single friend from here. This has got to be the worst place in the world to make friends....Arlington makes Dallas seem friendly....

Old 01-28-2009, 06:14 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Funny thread to me, and lots of interesting comments.

I moved to Memphis, Tenn. this summer - a city that is constantly ragged on and deeply misunderstood.

One of the alternatives I had was Austin. I actually had a much better offer there financially and professionally, but I just couldn't feel at home there. And I'm a native Texan.

When I first moved here, though I had been here many times on business. I was really taken aback with how friendly the people are. Not just friendlier than Austin, but than DFW too. I feel much more at home in Tennessee where you can strike up a conversation with a stranger and they don't act terrified or offended.

I don't THINK that's the way it's always been. I've lived most of my life in the DFW area, and in my experience the people I encounter there have become more callous over the years. But it is and always will be my hometown.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:52 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
I'm sure that Dallas and Houston have many neighborhoods where moderate income people ride the bus to work.
I wouldn't ride my bike anywhere in Dallas or Houston if half the stuff I heard from fellow cyclists is true. I guess what I was trying to say is that it is relatively easy to find a place here where you have multiple ways of getting to work.

Quote:
In Austin, as in any other metro, the farther out you are, the longer the commute, the less costly the land and the cheaper the housing.

Actually East Austin, 0-4 miles from Downtown, and parts of South Austin, 3-6 miles from Downtown, are affordable. Mueller Airport redevelopment is a prime example of this. In the Austin area the most expensive homes are out in the hill country - think Lance and Sandra - though the CBD is getting more expensive by the minute.

Quote:
These things are already a fact of life in Dallas, and there is no qualitative difference between Dallas sprawl and Austin sprawl, other than the fact that DFW is larger than Austin.
I would say the difference is the scale of the sprawl though at the point Austin may be where DFW was X years ago. There is some political will to head the other direction here but only time will tell if that comes to be.

Quote:
True, Boston has a large urban core, but the vast majority of its metro population live in single-family housing suburbs that require a car to exist. The suburban revolution was just as popular in the dense Northeast as anywhere else because travel by car as opposed to public transit is objectively more useful to the immediate needs of the people.
I think the difference is that in those older cities many people still have the option of never learning to drive if they have the will to live near transit. So even though many people do choose to live in the suburbs that choice is not dictated to them. In most southern cities a single family dwelling in a suburban setting is the ideal and only real option.

Quote:
The significant factor is that Austin people do not hate Dallas because Dallas is sprawled and Austin is supposed to not be sprawled. Austin is no different than Dallas in that regard. And I don't believe that the vast majority of Austin people hate Dallas, even though they may prefer Austin out of personal preference. The ones who have a visceral antagonism toward Dallas or Houston feel that way because they have some personal psychological episode or trauma that they blame on Dallas. That is the usual reason that an individual has a chronic background of hatred or antagonism.
Some areas of Austin have sprawled like Kyle and Cedar Park, but we also have mostly self-sufficient communities like San Marcos (TSU and outlet mall) and Round Rock (Dell) that don't function like bedroom communities.
Thankfully we have also started to "tax" our sprawl in the form of toll roads. Some people take them everyday b/c of their commute while others have never taken them in almost 2 1/2 years. And if there is another gasoline spike you will see even less outward momentum which is a good opportunity for some infill/TOD development development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas