Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 02:42 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times

Advertisements

I just don't get it.
I've been in Austin for about a year, everything seems slower but that doesn't mean it's any better. I like getting fast service in Dallas. People are still very busy/schedule orientated in Austin and making friends is a bit more difficult than in Dallas since the college campuses are not as small and people are so busy. Everybody is in their own world, on their own schedule and they do not have time to make friends or get to know you.
Before I moved there everybody said it was the most liberal and friendly city in Texas. I just don't see it. The gay church consists of like 20 stand-off-ish people. The gay bars are tiny and you see the same exact groups every weekend, month after month with the occasional out of towners. The more progressive churches in Austin are pretty superficial, this has been the first time ever that I've never made a friend at a church. And guess what, I've made friends at conservative churches before and I'm pretty progressive. Austin has outdoors events and nice scenery out in the hill country but that is really about it.....Dallas just seems to have much more to do and many more styles of people to befriend or meet hence much more exciting in my opinion...your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 09:13 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,239,812 times
I find Austin to be way more pretentious than Dallas. Yes Dallas has a lot of yuppies, but they all tend to congregate to a few areas. Dallas is more diverse, we have people from all corners of the globe. We have liberal, conservative, and middle of the road folks. We have Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Sikhs, and Hindus. Dallas for all its reputation of being filled with narrow minded hate mongers is a very accepting place.

I think people in Austin hate Dallas because, one its the cool thing to do. Also, because Dallas is larger, progressive, and more open minded.

Austin as a whole reminds of those kids in school who wore all black and lamented how terrible their American suburban life was, and wallowed in pseudo rebellion. Whereas Dallas would be the people who came from that same background but were happy with who they were and where they came from.

The phrase keep Austin weird just makes me want to gag. That alone is more pretentious than a Highland Park social function. :P

Old 06-08-2008, 09:33 PM

3 posts, read 12,940 times
I totally agree with your statement about it being difficult to make friends in Austin. I graduated from UT and those were some of the loneliest days of my life! You are right - everyone already had their own friends and own agendas and they took no interest in getting to know new people. Honestly every person I have ever met who "loves" Austin is either a young adult who was desperately trying to avoid growing up by clinging to that college kid lifestyle, or the drifter type who really had no desire to live the adult life either and they therefore blended in with the "keep Austin weird" mentality. Having lived in both places, I think Austin is a wonderful city to VISIT (because it is absolutely beautiful!) and Dallas is a FANTASTIC city to live in (for too many reasons to list!)

Old 06-08-2008, 09:42 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Actually, I don't know anyone in Austin that hates Dallas...I have a friend that moved to Wylie and hates his commute in to work, but he doesn't have anything against Dallas. Come to think of it, I don't really know anyone personally that has every said that they hated any other Texas city besides Houston, and that is typically based solely on the humidity and nothing else . I know there are some people that talk smack, but it is generally all in good fun with their friends in the other city.

Btw, I do love Austin, but I can't find my category listed above .

Old 06-08-2008, 11:15 PM

I know....how sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
I find Austin to be way more pretentious than Dallas. Yes Dallas has a lot of yuppies, but they all tend to congregate to a few areas. Dallas is more diverse, we have people from all corners of the globe. We have liberal, conservative, and middle of the road folks. We have Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Sikhs, and Hindus. Dallas for all its reputation of being filled with narrow minded hate mongers is a very accepting place.

I think people in Austin hate Dallas because, one its the cool thing to do. Also, because Dallas is larger, progressive, and more open minded.

Austin as a whole reminds of those kids in school who wore all black and lamented how terrible their American suburban life was, and wallowed in pseudo rebellion. Whereas Dallas would be the people who came from that same background but were happy with who they were and where they came from.

The phrase keep Austin weird just makes me want to gag. That alone is more pretentious than a Highland Park social function. :P

Old 06-08-2008, 11:16 PM

Yes...boy am I glad to be out of there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_mom View Post
I totally agree with your statement about it being difficult to make friends in Austin. I graduated from UT and those were some of the loneliest days of my life! You are right - everyone already had their own friends and own agendas and they took no interest in getting to know new people. Honestly every person I have ever met who "loves" Austin is either a young adult who was desperately trying to avoid growing up by clinging to that college kid lifestyle, or the drifter type who really had no desire to live the adult life either and they therefore blended in with the "keep Austin weird" mentality. Having lived in both places, I think Austin is a wonderful city to VISIT (because it is absolutely beautiful!) and Dallas is a FANTASTIC city to live in (for too many reasons to list!)

Old 06-09-2008, 09:45 AM

212 posts, read 1,154,022 times
I lived in Austin for about 7 years before I moved to Dallas (with a 1 year stint in Waco in between). I've been in DFW for about 7 years now, so having lived in both places for a similar amount of time, I prefer Austin.
I think a very very large part of that is that I consider those 7 years in Austin to be a key part of my "growing up" years, and I still have a ton of friends down there. By the time I moved to Dallas I was married, had a mortgage, was going to school again (to learn and get out, rather than party which is what I did in school in Austin), and was an adult. It's just more difficult to make friends as an adult than it is as a wild and free teenager or young adult with few responsibilities. I think that goes for whatever city you're coming from/going to. Adults are just more focused on work, home, and family, and are therefore a lot less likely to be seen hanging with their friends at Denny's at 2am or hitting the clubs or driving around aimlessly with friends because there's nothing better to do on a Wednesday night.
You've mentioned before that you're from DFW, so I bet a lot of your love for Dallas comes from growing up here- you feel like you know this area better, you might have more friends here, you feel like you "know" the people here better (even the ones you've never met). Austin isn't intrinsically worse than Dallas (and Dallas isn't worse than Austin)- people just tend to prefer places that are familiar and that they have memories in.
If you can't be back in Dallas, try to enjoy Austin for what it is. It's not Dallas, but you mentioned yourself it does have some nice things to offer, and keep in mind that it's natural for it to be more difficult to meet people and make friends as you get older. It's not the city's fault- just keep trying (maybe get a new hobby, or join meetup groups).

Old 06-09-2008, 01:18 PM

lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlosmTX View Post
I lived in Austin for about 7 years before I moved to Dallas (with a 1 year stint in Waco in between). I've been in DFW for about 7 years now, so having lived in both places for a similar amount of time, I prefer Austin.
I think a very very large part of that is that I consider those 7 years in Austin to be a key part of my "growing up" years, and I still have a ton of friends down there. By the time I moved to Dallas I was married, had a mortgage, was going to school again (to learn and get out, rather than party which is what I did in school in Austin), and was an adult. It's just more difficult to make friends as an adult than it is as a wild and free teenager or young adult with few responsibilities. I think that goes for whatever city you're coming from/going to. Adults are just more focused on work, home, and family, and are therefore a lot less likely to be seen hanging with their friends at Denny's at 2am or hitting the clubs or driving around aimlessly with friends because there's nothing better to do on a Wednesday night.
You've mentioned before that you're from DFW, so I bet a lot of your love for Dallas comes from growing up here- you feel like you know this area better, you might have more friends here, you feel like you "know" the people here better (even the ones you've never met). Austin isn't intrinsically worse than Dallas (and Dallas isn't worse than Austin)- people just tend to prefer places that are familiar and that they have memories in.
If you can't be back in Dallas, try to enjoy Austin for what it is. It's not Dallas, but you mentioned yourself it does have some nice things to offer, and keep in mind that it's natural for it to be more difficult to meet people and make friends as you get older. It's not the city's fault- just keep trying (maybe get a new hobby, or join meetup groups).

Old 06-09-2008, 01:59 PM

989 posts, read 2,498,383 times
I live in Austin and have spent some time in Dallas/Fort Worth. I think DFW folks are a bit more in-your-face friendly (i.e. small talk), but that friendliness can also bring with it gossiping, nosiness, inappropriately inquiring into someone's personal business, etc. I do find that in your face friendliness very nice, but I do concede that it brings some bad things with it.

Austin isn't as friendly, maybe because of the transplants and/or people who are attracted to the superficial allure of "keep Austin weird". And there's a lot of elitism that manifests itself in ways like hating Dallas, for example, which I don't get at all. I personally love every city I've been to in Texas.

"Keep Austin Weird" makes me gag, too, by the way. But we do have a great nightlife, great restaurants, greenery, and other positives that more than make up for it. It's well-educated, people don't care what church you go to or if you go at all, very party-oriented, reasonably priced, youthful, and friendly enough in my opinion.

Get out there and join some clubs, take a class, etc and you'll meet people fast enough. Just be yourself and put some effort into it.

Last edited by ATXIronHorse; 06-09-2008 at 02:13 PM..

Old 06-09-2008, 02:25 PM

no thanks. I am leaving town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
I live in Austin and have spent some time in Dallas/Fort Worth. I think DFW folks are a bit more in-your-face friendly (i.e. small talk), but that friendliness can also bring with it gossiping, nosiness, inappropriately inquiring into someone's personal business, etc. I do find that in your face friendliness very nice, but I do concede that it brings some bad things with it.

Austin isn't as friendly, maybe because of the transplants and/or people who are attracted to the superficial allure of "keep Austin weird". And there's a lot of elitism that manifests itself in ways like hating Dallas, for example, which I don't get at all. I personally love every city I've been to in Texas.

"Keep Austin Weird" makes me gag, too, by the way. But we do have a great nightlife, great restaurants, greenery, and other positives that more than make up for it. It's well-educated, people don't care what church you go to or if you go at all, very party-oriented, reasonably priced, youthful, and friendly enough in my opinion.

Get out there and join some clubs, take a class, etc and you'll meet people fast enough. Just be yourself and put some effort into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas