Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,678 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are a homeschooling family looking for a house with some land (5-20 acres)on the outskirts of the DFW area. We want to live in the prairie/lakes area in a friendly, safe, small town but also need someplace my husband can get a job. Any suggestions? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 12:21 PM

14 posts, read 49,479 times
Not sure it will be all you envision it to be here. We moved recently from WA state as well and I know it is not quite what we thought... The economy is stronger here so jobs shouldn't be too hard. To get acerage, you are looking about an hour out of Dallas in any direction. They call it a metroplex because of the sheer enormity of it. We are north dallas so you could look at Wise county area. I have seen pretty reasonable land out there. Are you relocating because of jobs or because of some vision you have of a life here in Texas?

Good luck to you....

Old 06-16-2008, 12:54 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
for 5-20 acres...how much are you looking to spend?
and since your husband doesn't have a job...I think that should be the first order of business.
The are of DFW is very large and consists of 2 major cities Dallas and FT worth and lots of smaller cities in between and ALL around.

Land within the metroplex is expensive and hard to come by. Cheaper land is west of Ft Worth and south of the metroplex and east of Dallas. Land north of Dallas is more expensive due to good schools and growth towards Denton.

so, get the job nailed down first. you don't want to live out in Rhome and then have your husband have to commute to Rockwall for work. etc...

Also, If you have never been here....come for a visit this summer. You will get to see what the hot summers are like. It is a climate and topography VERY different from WA state. You may hate it.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:11 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
Great advice above... This metroplex area is 3500 square miles and that does not include most of the areas that have the large acreage you are looking for.

Knowing where your husband will be commuting to and what type of budget you are working with are a must to help steer you in the right direction.

Naima

Old 06-16-2008, 01:19 PM

869 posts, read 2,953,877 times
How much are you looking to spend, and just how far out do you want to be?

There's a home in Sunnyvale on almost 8 acres of land going for $560,000. It's around four miles from Town East Mall (and all the other shopping and all the restaurants which are right there).

Old 06-16-2008, 02:06 PM

339 posts, read 707,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW2TX View Post
Not sure it will be all you envision it to be here. We moved recently from WA state as well and I know it is not quite what we thought... The economy is stronger here so jobs shouldn't be too hard. To get acerage, you are looking about an hour out of Dallas in any direction. They call it a metroplex because of the sheer enormity of it. We are north dallas so you could look at Wise county area. I have seen pretty reasonable land out there. Are you relocating because of jobs or because of some vision you have of a life here in Texas?

Good luck to you....
Wy wasn't it quite what you thought if I might ask?

Old 06-19-2008, 12:46 PM

JDTD-

I do not want to get flamed here. I like Texas, I just thought it would be different. We live in a very nice area and where we come from in WA people are pretty curt and rude on the surface but once you make friends, they are deep friendships. From what we have noticed here is that it is the opposite. People are generally nicer to strangers and once you get to know people their isn't much deep connections. I realize that people treat you how you treat them blah blah blah. There is just a difference between relationship building on the West Coast vs the South. Not bad, just different. We are trying very hard to settle in, be friendly etc. We do not push where we are from on anyone. I just wonder if Dallas is such a jumble of transplants that no one really has the time or energy to build lasting relationships with others. They are too preoccupied with getting to and from wherever they are going. We expected Texas to be more laid back, quieter, conservative etc... However, our assumption is that Texas may be but Dallas may not be. I also am not too terribly crazy about the state political views here. As someone moving into the state and learning all of the state laws and how the infrastructure is maintained in this state. Again, I am not providing the fuel for a debate here. It is just the differences from moving cross country. Based on the OP, I got a sense that they are looking for a vision of getting into the "wild open spaces" and get a mini farm to sustain their family for a lot less then in WA, Texas has always been touted as being one of the most homeschool friendly states, and live happily ever after. While I am sure that is attainable here, as one who was hoping for a similar situation, because of the job placements in the area and the drive it would take along with other cost of living factors, I think it may be different than they envision that is all....

People keep touting the cost of living is sooo different. I beg to differ. I spend just as much here for a moderate home in suburbia as I did for 5 acres and a modest home in WA. Sure real estate is cheaper here, but energy costs are not. Sure fuel is cheaper here, but you have to drive further here. It is comparing apples and oranges. For us this was still a smart move and we are not sorry to be here and we are not longing to be back in the west. These are just my observations from my personal experience.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:33 PM

I reread my post and want to clarify that I am not saying anything bad about texas. We like it here. I am just saying moving anywhere can be hard to build friendships is all. It takes some adjustments and I belive that people are basically the same region to region. I just think that when you move cross country you naturally build up a utopia in your mind telling yourself that it will be the perfect place and you realize that people are naturally the same.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:20 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,066,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW2TX View Post
I reread my post and want to clarify that I am not saying anything bad about texas. We like it here. I am just saying moving anywhere can be hard to build friendships is all. It takes some adjustments and I belive that people are basically the same region to region. I just think that when you move cross country you naturally build up a utopia in your mind telling yourself that it will be the perfect place and you realize that people are naturally the same.
Good point. If someone is dissatisfied with their current location, it is not necessarily true that somewhere else will be an improvement.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:20 PM

21 posts, read 77,388 times
I have to agree with other former WA residents on many points.

First things first - get a job nailed down if you can, and if you can afford the taxes on 5 acres or so, by all means save up and come out here for an extended visit before you commit.

+1 on the one comment about comparing apples and oranges. Absolutely true! Property is less expensive out here, but taxes are twice what they are in WA, and at least in the suburbs, 4x that amount. No, I'm not kidding.

$4.25/gal for gas in WA vs $3.99 here isn't all that much difference when your commute time can easily double.

We're right in the middle of our relocation out here - we sign closing papers on the 27th - it's an adjustment for sure, but do-able IF you do your homework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: