U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2008, 07:46 AM

13 posts, read 42,115 times

Advertisements

Hi there, we will be moving down shortly and I'm madly trying to find a rental in an area near White Rock Lake / Park. I love Lake Highlands, but haven't been able to find a rental there for very cheap. We have one 2-year-old son and another baby on the way. I've found a really nice house (hardwoods, nice colors, rooms we need), but still for cheap ($900 per month), but I have no idea what the area is like. I looked at various zip code sites for demographics, but that doesn't really tell you much, like if people don't keep up their houses. I know the stigma of an area with a lot of rentals, but we plan to be very kind to ours, though not many people do. Anyways, this area the house is in is just west of Eastfield College (Zip 75228) and to the southeast of White Rock Lake. It looks like the major roads Oates and Ferguson to the north, John West to the south, La Prada to the east and Peavey to the west.

I grew up in Detroit (the actual city, my dad was a cop), so I'm not naive on how city living can be and how you need to be aware of where you are at all times, but if this area is riddled with violent crime, obviously, I don't want that. Is anyone familiar with this area? Would I be afraid to come home alone with my two little kids? Could I walk my dog around the neighborhood? The home has an attached two car garage and an alarm system, btw.

I appreciate any insight you can give me. We are trying to go cheap because of the new baby coming and me not working/or working fulltime for awhile because of that. Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 12:21 PM

11,189 posts, read 24,464,873 times
I know the neighborhood. We lived not too far from there a few years ago. It's an OK area. The houses are OK, but the problem is the low-rent apartments on Buckner and Peavy nearby. Here's the Dallas interactive crime map: City of Dallas Interactive Maps
It seems that violent crime is pretty unusual, but theft and residential and car break-ins are pretty common. You will definitely want to move before your 2-year old gets school-age.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:20 AM

2,974 posts, read 9,018,021 times
The general area around Oates and Ferguson is ok. Bishop Lynch (Catholic HS) is close by and has a good rep. On Oates is a great Montessori school called White Rock Montessori and the people in this area care for their homes quite well.

Peavy can be hit/miss because of the low rent apts. But there are nicer pockets like off Crowberry and Carnegie/Mercer.

John West is sketchy to me. I'd avoid it.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:32 AM

Thank you so much for the very specific info. We'll have to see the place and see what it feels like, but, if there is no violent crime really, that's great! Plus, if the house has an alarm, that should help with the theft issue? Hopefully.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:22 PM

16,086 posts, read 39,359,484 times
If you can give us some specific streets it might help. There are some really nice homes for the money just south/east of Ferguson around Lakeland (Dorrington, etc). If you can get closer to 75218 it will be nicer - also if you plan to stay Sanger Elementary is ranked exemplary.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:30 PM

308 posts, read 1,180,110 times
It depends on what type of neighborhood you are looking for. The area you describe is 100% blue collar, which is not a bad thing, it just depends on what you are used to.

Just about all of the homes are older. Some are well kept, others are not. Tons of rental houses.

The problem is that for $900, you can't get into a nicer neighborhood for a house. You can get a duplex/townhome, but not a house.

I agree with Lakewooder that something with the zip code 75218, it will be much nicer and you may be able to find a house for around $1000.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:50 PM

The actual house in 75228 is on "Jonesboro". The house itself looks great, but I can't tell what's around it. Those streets I mentioned earlier are the main cross streets.

I also saw a house for $1050 in "Parkdale" in the 75227 zip code. The house in on a street called "Overlook" and it says it is 3 miles south of White Rock Lake. Do you know anything about this area? That particular house was built in 1935, but has been really updated and is definitely something I could see us living in.

Thanks!!

Old 06-16-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdfw View Post
It depends on what type of neighborhood you are looking for. The area you describe is 100% blue collar, which is not a bad thing, it just depends on what you are used to.

Just about all of the homes are older. Some are well kept, others are not. Tons of rental houses.

The problem is that for $900, you can't get into a nicer neighborhood for a house. You can get a duplex/townhome, but not a house.

I agree with Lakewooder that something with the zip code 75218, it will be much nicer and you may be able to find a house for around $1000.
The area we live in now is mainly blue collar, so we are definitely used to that. The homes are comparable, built in the 50's, treed streets, blue collar. But most people keep up their homes. We also have rentals in the area. The only difference I see is that, in my current city, there are very few home invasions. There is some breaking into cars reported (about 1-2 per week). It looks like these areas of Dallas have a little more of that going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: