Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 05:58 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,486,338 times

Advertisements

We are all settled in our Deep Ellum apartment and so far everything is going great! We finally got internet/ cable today and I couldn't wait to let you all know. This week we've been getting furniture, mattress, etc., etc. - all the no fun stuff and next week we're doing fun stuff (aquarium, zoo, six flags, etc. etc. - not all next week, haha). We're pretty proud of how well we're learning the area. Deep Ellum is a tiny bit of a drive to places (the closest grocery store we've found - that's not Whole Foods) is the Walmart grocery store. We'd never seen a Walmart that's just grocery stores. If anyone else has a better suggestion, we're open to it.

We explored Deep Ellum today; ate at All Good and even picked up some sausage for breakfast at our local meat market. We will be getting cheese next time from Motzerella, the cheese market. The lady who owns Rush is super nice and the almond croissant is to die for. We also went in the furniture stores and the Mid Century place is soooo cool. We ended up scoring furniture from West Elm - all open box discounted stuff. So we've done well so far.

Sorry this is a little long winded, but wanted to let you all know and also say thanks for ALL your help. You won't believe all the places that I see and drive around that I feel like I know. We've been to Chuy's b/c of here, Rush, Weirs, etc. - so many places, so thanks so much.

Now to have a little fun and to find a job...haha!

Have a great weekend everyone and thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 06:03 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,761,665 times
Welcome! Sounds like you are getting around quite well :-)

Old 06-14-2008, 06:46 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,032,189 times
Invest in a Mapsaco book. You should be able to find one at your local Walmart. It will make getting around the DFW area a whole lot easier and well worth the $20 or so. I like Walmart for everything but beef. Since you have a meat market in the area just use them for you meat purchases. Welcome to the area.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:09 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,481,511 times
Yay! Sounds like you are making a good dent into things.

I hate the neighborhood Wal Marts...any of them. Also dislike the other closest grocery to you (the Albertson's on McKinney at Lemmon).

I drive kinda far up to SuperTarget for normal grocery shopping. Go up I-75 (Central) and exit Northwest Hwy. Take Skillman north (it's like a highway exit on your right) and go up to Abrams - the SuperTarget will be on your left. You will pass a regular Target on Northwest Hwy at Skillman/Abrams - go past this one to the SuperTarget.

And a Mapsco will save your life!! I need to update mine from 1995

For 6 Flags, are you getting the cheap pricing - $29.99 and free parking? I have an email that I can forward to you if not...let me know.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:14 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,095 times
Yay, fisher, you're here! Good job! And what the others said - invest in a mapsco. They are really handy! The Dallas and Fort Worth mapscos also include the suburbs in their respective counties.

Welcome and good luck!

Old 06-16-2008, 12:54 PM

308 posts, read 1,232,304 times
No need for mapsco. Google maps is great for dallas and you can even get it on some cell phones.

Please don't shop at Walmart. I (and a lot others) don't support them and don't want them in the city.

Congrats on the move and be sure to check out the burger place in Deep Elum (can't remember the name of it), but it is near the Adams Hats lofts and 75.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:58 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Welcome fisher! Next time you are in Century Modern tell Joe hello from one of his kindergarten friends (who recently had a big birthday party).

Some other cool places to buy food around here:

Civello's Raviolismo - Dallas̢۪ Original Ravioli since 1950

Jimmy's Food Store Italian Market

Rudoph's Meat Market (since 1895) HOME (say hello to Justine if she is there)

Two Sisters Catering is a full-service caterer that has been serving Dallas and Ft. Worth, Texas since 1989.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:00 PM

78 posts, read 297,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdfw View Post
Congrats on the move and be sure to check out the burger place in Deep Elum (can't remember the name of it), but it is near the Adams Hats lofts and 75.
Twisted root or angry dog. Both are near there. Twisted root is better in my opinion. Both are good though.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:38 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,486,338 times
thanks everybody for the replies!!

mapsco - will get one (i know google is good and we use it a lot, but sometimes you switch plans in the car)
supertarget - will go there!!
been to angry dog and it was just ok (we had wings so that may not be the best thing to try) - will try twisted root! there are so many restaurants around here to try...we will be busy trying everything just around us. i have never seen such restaurants - there are restaurants everywhere here in Dallas.
we got some sausage from rudolph's - it was delicious!! we will go to jimmy's too. i saw the ravioli place, we will check that out.
lakewooder - i remember you knew the person who owned midcentury but the person who was in there (kind of a bigger guy, very nice and a bit chatty) was in there and had to call the owner about a couch that i just love in there. it's the black floral couch...I LOVE IT and if i were going to be here for longer than a year, i would definitely purchase it. do you know that person? he was funny. my husband, as you know, is doing the general dentistry residency at baylor and he must have talked to him for 15 minutes about teeth and going to the dentist. he was so nice. everyone here in our 'hood has been so nice.

pepper, are you the "croissant" girl at rush's? i asked about you!

Six Flags - NOT a smart idea for today. it was way too hot and someone passed out in front of us. we got the $30 tickets but not free parking...bummer. oh well. i don't think we'll be back there until it cools off significantly!!! we are TIRED now!

thanks everyone for writing - we feel so welcomed and we have had SO much help from you all. thank you, thank you, thank you!!

stay cool - it's a hot one!

Old 06-16-2008, 08:41 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,481,511 times
Hmmm...I may be the croissant girl. Usually, by the time I get there, she is out of croissants so I settle for some other d-lish treat!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas