Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 20,103 times

Advertisements

First of all, thank you for reading my note.

I am a thirty year old single guy who is moving from Chicago to Dallas. I do not know anything about the different areas in Dallas and I was wondering if you could help me with my decision.

After doing my research, I found good housing (what I am looking for) in Uptown Dallas an Irving. Are these very different areas? I have no clue of where "the action" is: restaurants, shopping areas, etc. Although I value quiet areas, I do NOT want to be isolated. Given that I do not know anybody in Dallas yet, I would like to be relatively close to areas where I could socialize.

Finally, is there any bad area I should avoid altogether (dangerous)?

Again, THANK YOU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2006, 10:14 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,654,088 times
Knox Henderson area is a good area to live for being single as well as Addison.
I will let others here tell you of some other major areas, maybe give you some streets to look off of for apartments. I am a married old lady and don't have alot of info since I haven't been single in years. Most of the info on singles I have is from my nephew and from here. There are more learned people here on where to live being single in Dallas. Ohhh jmo burbs are for families here it seems.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:22 AM

702 posts, read 2,722,951 times
The action is in the neighborhoods immediately north of downtown Dallas (Uptown). If you're more the bohemian type then I suggest you look into East Dallas and maybe even Oak Cliff. Just don't move to some far out suburb.. you will hate it.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:14 PM

33 posts, read 69,315 times
Is Plano consider as far suburb? Housing seeems cheap there and it's only 30 minutes commute to dowtown.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydata2006
Is Plano consider as far suburb? Housing seeems cheap there and it's only 30 minutes commute to dowtown.
Plano, at one point in time was considered to be far out, but things have changed. Frisco and beyond have taken claim of that title and pretty soon Dallas will extend out to the Oklahoma border! If you're looking for fairly new suburban style housing then Plano is a good choice. The schools are good, crime is low, and the city is just neat. People tend to prefer West Plano over the more established neighborhoods to the east. Plano can also offer people a more urban lifestyle at it's East Side Village neighbhorhood. The area is very convenient to those who work in downtown Dallas as the train station is a walk away! Feel free to ask more questions.

Old 06-04-2006, 05:46 PM

5 posts, read 32,457 times
Tell me about Tool, TX. and Cedar Creek Lake!!

Old 06-05-2006, 08:57 AM

33 posts, read 69,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan#1
Plano, at one point in time was considered to be far out, but things have changed. Frisco and beyond have taken claim of that title and pretty soon Dallas will extend out to the Oklahoma border! If you're looking for fairly new suburban style housing then Plano is a good choice. The schools are good, crime is low, and the city is just neat. People tend to prefer West Plano over the more established neighborhoods to the east. Plano can also offer people a more urban lifestyle at it's East Side Village neighbhorhood. The area is very convenient to those who work in downtown Dallas as the train station is a walk away! Feel free to ask more questions.
Why take the train??? So, one cannot drive to Dallas, is driving a lot of trouble from Plano to downtown Dallas?? How long would it usually take driving...what about train... how much does train cost per trip?

Old 06-05-2006, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydata2006
Why take the train??? So, one cannot drive to Dallas, is driving a lot of trouble from Plano to downtown Dallas?? How long would it usually take driving...what about train... how much does train cost per trip?
Why take the train? good question! The traffic on 75 Central Expressway can be rough during rush hour and MANY that live in Plano ride the train into downtown (the trains are packed during rush hour but run every 2-3 minutes). There are several convenient park and ride stations in Plano (I think there are 3) and the price is for an all day pass is $2.50 in which you can ride the train and buses all day long. Also, many companies that are located in downtown offer their employees DART passes free of charge for extended amounts of time. Some office buildings charge people to park their cars downtown too. You seem to be irritated with the notion of taking the train so I suggest you drive to work the first few days and ask your coworkers what they do.

Old 06-12-2006, 04:22 PM

3 posts, read 30,979 times
i'd also like to mention that the train is in very good condition. the dart railway was just finished 2-3 years ago so not only is it clean, but also safe. there are two very convenient stations in Plano: Parker and Downtown Plano station.

as for zeus, if you have no friends/relatives or a big family with you around the Dallas area, i wouldn't recommend Plano as a place for living. Plano is indeed a very good city with one of the best school districts and very little crime, however, it seems as a more peaceful, family-oriented city.

if you're more of a social seeker for culture and nightlife, i'd recommend moving closer to Dallas, as it takes at least 45 minutes to an hour to reach downtown from Plano. Downtown Dallas is going through a large residential boom, as they are starting to build more apartment complexes, rather than all commercialization. And if you live downtown or uptown, you're very close, if not a short walk away from the Art District, bohemic Deep Ellum, and some of the uptown nightlife.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 20,074 times
Uptown is the place to be right now! If you can afford the rent ($900/mo and up for apartments) it is a thriving neighborhood with living, shopping, working, dining, all in the same area, and if you get tired of that, there are the clubs in Oak Lawn or Deep Ellum or go check out the sights downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas