Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2008, 03:01 PM

5 posts, read 29,980 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be going to Baylor med center every day. I'd like to live as close as possible. But I want to pay about 600 a month for a 1 bedroom (not a studio), don't care how small it is.

I find things close to my range on craigslist, they're usually part of duplexes or fourlplexes in the buckner park area. It seems the popular name for this area on craigslist is "historic east dallas." So how is this area? Is crime generally a problem?

Oh and what is the area/neighborhood called around Baylor? Deep Ellum? East Dallas?

I'm completely new to Dallas so any advice/tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 11:25 AM

Moderator cut: orphaned quote & comment

What do you think about further east by Randall Park, where Abrams and S. Beacon meet.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-01-2009 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: orphaned - post referred to has been removed

Old 06-13-2008, 12:23 PM

308 posts, read 1,232,081 times
Most of that area is scary, altough there are some nice pockets.

Try looking in the m streets area or lakewood (From East of 75 to White Rock Lake) . Take a look at a map. You want to be north of Belmont. Anything further south is sketchy for the most part.

You also might want to check out the village apts TheVillageapts.com | Home

Good luck

Old 06-14-2008, 09:16 AM

473 posts, read 1,568,142 times
Yep, south of Belmont is pretty nice. Even the areas you are thinking were sketchy are being redeveloped. Have you driven down Henderson lately, or the first few blocks going east from 75 on Fitzhugh? It is barely recognizable from even 5 years ago.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:22 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,759,625 times
>> Even the areas you are thinking were sketchy are being redeveloped.<<

Would the OP be able to find something for 600/month there? I think that's what was meant by sketchy in that price range ... while there are nice areas south of Belmont, they might be out of the OP's price range.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:38 PM

Everyone, thanks for your help.

I went to Dallas and saw firsthand. I drove up and down Gaston and wow, yea, many of the "complexes" didn't look like something I'd feel comfortable in. The Swiss Avenue area, was very very nice, but also looked mega expensive -- besides most of them were houses. The power properties were, eh, okay... but they didn't have anything in my range. The Junius Heights area and Munger Heights areas looked good but then a few blocks would be shady places. Then I went to the Village -- I liked it. I think I'm sold on it. I read some complaints on apartmentratings.com and it seems okay. I'm not looking for luxury -- I'm looking for a simple, decently quiet, clean place with a safe community. I Liked the village's spread out suburban layout. Some of the complexes by Gaston felt really congested and "fenced in" in an attempt to protect from the "outside world."

My personal opinions. What do you guys think? Village - good choice?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-01-2009 at 11:27 PM..

Old 06-15-2008, 07:44 AM

3 posts, read 11,918 times
Yes, the Village is a great choice! You can't go wrong with commercial utilities, and the opportunity to meet a lot of people. I commuted from The Village to the downtown arts district and it was always less than 20 minutes during rush hour. If you'll be working at Baylor you can avoid 75 completely and just take Skillman to Gaston and that will still be less than a 20 minute commute.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:16 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,150,148 times
The Village is a good choice - also check out the complexes just south of Lover's Lane - free SMU/DART shuttle and many of the complexes are being redeveloped plus many of the older ones are converted to condos with mostly resident owners. Boundaries: Greenville, Lover's Lane, Skillman and DART rail/Katy Trail expansion. E. University runs through..

Most of the complexes on Gaston and Live Oak have been sold to developers so they aren't long for the world (some already have demolition fences) but you may not want to wait around for that...and closer in the Baylor and Deep Ellum DART stations are due to open in September of next year so that area is also changing dramatically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas