Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 11,926 times

Advertisements

how are the facilities at Scottish Rite? i've heard some bad things about hospitals in dallas, like parkland, and i was wondering if the same applied to the scottish rite children's hospital. is the neighborhood safe? is the hospital upscale? what is the clientele like? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 12:53 PM

869 posts, read 2,954,370 times
What's the clientele like? They're kids. I would have thought the name kind of gives that away. Kids of all races and creeds. They come from all over. When my nephew was there for some surgery, the girl in one room next to him was from Oklahoma.

As far as the neighborhood, I never felt any fear walking to my car when visiting hours were over. There's not much in the immediate area. The old Parkland Hospital is across the street, and was being remodeled when we were down there. And the streets in the area are all being torn up and repaired.

Sorry, I'm not exactly sure what an "upscale" hospital is. Do they offer Perrier with your pain medication or something? But it's a fine hospital, offering care to children with specific types of medical conditions care without charging the family.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:49 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,744,800 times
I don't get the question. Are you looking for a children's hospital? If so, aren't there more important criteria than if it's upscale or not?

FWIW - all of the Scottish Rite Hospitals (for Children and Burn centers) have excellent reputations and treat those who cannot afford other care.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:54 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,867,023 times
Scottish Rite has a WONDERFUL reputation. Not everyone can get in there and some of the top doctors practice there.

Parkland might be the county hospital and takes everyone regardless of coverage or lack thereof. HOWEVER, IF I were in severe trauma or a burn victim that is the ONLY hospital I would want. It ranks VERY HIGH nationwide as to the level of care they give for those two areas.

Zale Lipshy is an "upscale" hospital down in that area. It is more of a "boutique" hospital.

The area a hospital is in really does not determine the kind of care given inside. Most LARGE hospitals are decades old and in the older part of town anyway no matter what large city your in. The area that our large hospitals are in is such and those hospitals provide EXCELLENT care and I would not hesitate for one second on using them.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:35 PM

2 posts, read 11,926 times
i should clarify... i meant as a place to work
i'm not a dallas native, so i was wondering about good hospital environments where working would be more enjoyable and less hectic. i also care about the safety and quality of the neighborhood

Old 06-18-2008, 08:22 PM

869 posts, read 2,954,370 times
Oh...well...heck, that makes all sorts of difference...

Like I said, I never felt any concern walking to my car after visiting hours. If you like working with kids and making a huge difference in their life, I think you will really love the place. My nephew was in for two weeks because of a hip problem, and even though most of these kids have some pretty serious medical conditions, they were fantastic. The girl that was next door to my nephew had a spinal condition that had her in a halo...but she was the cutest little thing I believe I have ever seen. She was always smiling, and came in to say hi to my nephew every couple of hours. All the kids that I came into contact with would chat with me like I had been their friend for years.

We thought the staff were the best that we've ever dealt with in a hospital setting. Everyone actually seemed to enjoy being there.

I'm no expert in the medical field, but from my experience, it seems like a great place. I don't think you have to worry about your safety at work, or going to your vehicle after work. They even had off duty Dallas Police Officers working the table at the entrance after hours to make sure the riff-raff don't make their way in. They made us show our drivers license to access the elevators after 5 pm.

Sorry for my somewhat smart arsed response the first time.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:31 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,460,676 times
All services are free to the families. There is no billing department. No insurance to worry about. No paperwork. They treat orthopedic issues and dyslexia. It's very highly regarded. Neighborhood isn't that bad and will only get better as it's sortof adjacent to Uptown.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:21 PM

308 posts, read 1,232,165 times

Old 06-21-2008, 10:20 AM

430 posts, read 1,358,931 times
I knew two people who worked there and they loved it.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:37 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times
scottish rite since it deals with children with serious, life-threatening medical conditions who are more often indigent than not requires a special kind of personnel--some people can't take seeing kids in pain or having to serve their needs by doing painful things to them...
I don't know what Scottish Rite pays--but you need to consider this job is about more than money you make...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: