Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 07:19 AM

581 posts, read 924,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulip66 View Post
Does anyone have/had large "globs" of ants in the pool?? I know this
sounds strange, but about 3 times a month they are in the pool. It is
almost like a flying ant... they have wings.

What other "creatures" have you seen in your pool?? So far, a rat swimming
around and a bullfrog the other day. Not to pleasant!!

Although having been here for 3 months now, no bugs of any kind!!
I'm back, beloved forum members. I locked myself out and couldn't get back in. Sort of banned myself.
Anyway, when the crazy ants finally arrive up from Houston, there won't be any problems with fire ants, bugs, or any pest that moves. They agitate everything to extinction. The crazy ant looks like a fire ant but all the nests share queens. When you kill them, they will pile up their dead a quarter inch deep and keep right on coming.
Of course, any flying ant is going to be either a queen or a drone ant. Likewise for the termites. Interesting how the ant and the termite are analogous, but the termite is actually related to the cockroach. It is also interesting how these two insect are analogous with in how they bloom their queen and drone ants during the spring.
It is best to just get along with the bugs. Like us, they are just trying to eat, drink, and over reproduce.
Life is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,046 times
Default big-headed ants

if you ever find an answer to this big-headed ant problem in your pool, please let me know. i'm going crazy with this problem - my swimming pool is useless now - can't enjoy it at all. quote=jimmccarthy;23635813]I have exactly the same problem you are having with ants in the pool. Over the past year I have tried everything to get rid of them. The crux of the problem is the pavers around my pool. There are tiny gaps between them and the ants are burrowed under them. The research I've done has disclosed that they are called "big-headed ants". You'll notice that about every 100th of them is much larger than the rest of the colony, thus them name. I have (and you probably do to) what the experts call a "Super Colony". I'll list the things I've done and maybe one of them will work for you, but, so far they haven't for me.

1. Built a "wall" of duct tape all the way around the lip of the pool with the sticky side facing away from the pool. If nothing else, this will tell you where they are coming from. In my case it was all directions. After a single night the tape was nearly covered in dead ants who were snagged on their way for a dip. Many more were still in the pool however.
2. I sent away for a product called MaxForce, which comes in granular form. It cost about $35 bucks, but it hasn't worked and you don't want to use it if you have a pet....very lethal.....but not to my little critters.
3. I had my pool guy spray large doses of chlorine all over the pavers each week for about 2 months....no help.
4. I sprayed all kinds of ant killer, plus several other home remedies suggested by folks, including lemon juice and water, dishwashing liquid and water, etc. to no avail. I've since read that any kind of liquid is only going to kill those ants that come directly in contact with it.
5. I bought these floating mesh sleeves at my local pool supply place and they catch a ton of ants in them each day. It's a pain to clean them every night though. They attach to your water inlets and the flow of water forces some of the ants into the mesh sleeve. It's called a Pooldevil Pro and you can find it on the internet.
So, that's where I stand, scooping up ants every morning and you never get them all. Please let me know if you find a remedy.
Jim[/quote]

Old 07-23-2013, 07:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,963 times
Default Big-Headed Ants

I have the same issue, also in Florida. Every morning after it rains, there are thousands in the pool. Some in clumps, some separate. My pole skimmer only works so well as the majority of them pass right through the net. So I skim the pool and clean the skimmer about 10 times to get about half the ants, and then I put the pool skimmer on high (instead of the main drain) for several hours to try to get them out. So then my filter is filled with them and it takes an hour to clean the filter to remove them all. Definite headache to say the least. I haven't actually seen it, but I think they are actually ON the top of my pool screen and then get washed down through the screen whenever it rains. Just a theory. ANY help will be very appreciated.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulip66 View Post
Does anyone have/had large "globs" of ants in the pool?? I know this
sounds strange, but about 3 times a month they are in the pool. It is
almost like a flying ant... they have wings.

What other "creatures" have you seen in your pool?? So far, a rat swimming
around and a bullfrog the other day. Not to pleasant!!

Although having been here for 3 months now, no bugs of any kind!!
Awful, I'm the only house in the neighbor hood Very small ant like creature with wings glob on pool screen roof Fine them by the thousands in the pool no idea what to do jc

Old 02-03-2014, 04:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,236 times
I have fire ants all around my skimmper inside my pool cage !! HELP !!! Don't want to infect the pool with Home Defense !!

Old 02-03-2014, 04:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,236 times
Default Fire Ants Inside Pool Cage

I have fire ants inside my pool cage. They are swarmed around the skimmer of the pool so close to the water and I don't want to infect the pool with Home Defense ! Please HELP !!!

Old 02-04-2014, 06:30 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Sprinkle Amdro around the ant mound. In a few days come back and do a 2nd treatment.

Amdro is good for treating FA's when you see the mounds and keeping them in check.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,414 times
Mswes. A few years has gone by since your post about tiny ants. I too have a screened in pool. On the treasurer coast in Fl. I am having the same issue. I just skimmed out all the ants and I had gone inside for half-hour. When I came back out I noticed more ants in pool. I happened to look up and there they were laying on pool screen above the pool. They were in cluster (balls)! The question is where did they come from, it's as if they fell out of the sky. They are not crawling up the screen, nor are they on the pool deck. A messy mystery that I wish would go away. It was a hot humid July day, and it had rained that day. It has happened several days in a row. I clean them all out of pool and then the next day they are back! I am thinking to cover the top of pool screen with tarp. Any solutions, suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas