Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 02:09 PM

86 posts, read 401,950 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have/had large "globs" of ants in the pool?? I know this
sounds strange, but about 3 times a month they are in the pool. It is
almost like a flying ant... they have wings.

What other "creatures" have you seen in your pool?? So far, a rat swimming
around and a bullfrog the other day. Not to pleasant!!

Although having been here for 3 months now, no bugs of any kind!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 02:29 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
Quote:
flying ant... they have wings.
more likly they are termites, they swarm in the late spring, usually after a rain or very humid day.
(I now know about termites than I ever wanted to know)

Flying ants will swam too...they have segmented bodies and curved antennea, 2 sets of shorter wings.

see link... http://www.abailey.com/Ant.jpg

Termites have a strighter body, opague longer wings and stright antennae

we had a small swarm in the house this spring and then I recently found a mound under a tree while weeding.

I would put some in a baggie and call an exterminator to come check out your property...they will do this for free.

LOOK all around your faoundation for the "mud tubes" basically a pile of mud from the ground up the foundation...if you knock it off you will see the white workers.

Last edited by 5stones; 06-19-2008 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: picture wouldn't post

Old 06-19-2008, 03:00 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
We have one area right by the pool that ants are attracted to. We can treat the yard nonstop but they will look for places to hide. Due to the abundance of landscaping in our backyard and large rock formations sporadically around the backside of the pool they tend to get under the rocks right at the edge of the pool. If you have any rocks right by the pool go look around there as well for signs of a bed.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:38 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Usually 1 time a year I get ants so I make sure I have Amdro out to kill any fire ants and look for any other signs of ants we then treat.

One time a year I get a rat since we live near a creek. My wife always finds him as shes lying in the pool and he's doing a back stroke around the pool. I can usually hear the screams that let me know she found another.

We've also had (all dead) a small snake and baby rabbit.

Biggest pest I find in the pool is the kids, can't seem to get rid of them.

Note: Use caution sticking your hand down to empty the little baskets that trap leaves. I seen a few critters get in there & some are alive.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 50,619 times
Other than the tiny frogs in the skimmer baskets, no problems except for those darn ants by the millions after a rain. They cluster in groups and there are also the wings off the ants floating on the water. Is there anything at all that can be used to prevent them from "visiting".

Old 08-22-2009, 05:03 AM

9 posts, read 187,687 times
Unhappy I need "ant" help

I just bought a house recently w/ pool in Florida and I have one major problem.
Every morning the top (water) of my pool is covered in MILLIONS of Ants and no matter what I tried so far works. I can not find the colony (sat @ the pool @ night w/ flashlight trying to figure out where they come from)

I was told to try to get TERMADOR and use it (very expensive). Has anyone had any experience with it? Can anyone help me? PLEASE I am desperate. Thank you upfront..................

Old 08-22-2009, 05:39 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Millions of ants might call for having an actual pest control guy out to take a look. Here ants & termites can swarm but I don't see it this late in the year.

Do you see fire ant mounds in your yard ? if so, get some Amdro & start treating the mounds immediately. The best you can do with them is keep them under control.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Millions of ants might call for having an actual pest control guy out to take a look. Here ants & termites can swarm but I don't see it this late in the year.

Do you see fire ant mounds in your yard ? if so, get some Amdro & start treating the mounds immediately. The best you can do with them is keep them under control.

Actually NO I see no where a colony. I sat there for hours one night trying to see where they come from but I could not detect anything. I see no hills no nothing and in the morning I have to clean the pool for at least an hour. These are some itsy bitsy tiny ants. Someone told me to buy "TERMADOR" so I went to a self help pest control store and he told me it cost $ 90 so I may have no other choice but to call a terminator because just to try the product and get no results, that is too expensive plus I have a dog. According to the neighbors the pre-owner had the problem last summer too but he forgot to mention it to me (Of course)

Old 08-22-2009, 01:01 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,303,667 times
I have seen these flying ants too a few times over the past few weeks. In fact, I've seen them in different parts of the city - 20+ miles apart. I think they are flying carpenter ants. They literally fall out of the sky! They do not look like termites to me. I believe termites swarm only in the spring of the year when temperatures rise and the humidity gets just right. Obviously they came from a swarm, and I suspect are aided in their travel by the winds.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:25 PM

Here is a picture of my net after just one swoop through the pool! I have to clean the pool daily for at least an hour, sometimes twice!

I GUESS THERE GOES MY DREAM OF A POOL - If I can't find help I need to get rid of it

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas