Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:20 AM

49 posts, read 223,918 times

Advertisements

Hello All ! I thought one day we will be moving to Houston due to a job and I spent nearly 2 years on this Forum to find out everything about it.
Well, it will be Dallas. My Husband will be working in 75201.
Which area would be nice and safe to live with nearby shopping malls ?
We have Kids so we also need a good public school where they offer gifted and talented class. I believe we should better live outside of Dallas right ?
Wow, that will be a big thing. I am trying to research as much as I can but now I have to start all over again because things change so quickly. Thank you very much in advance.......for your advice.
Have a great day !

Simone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 10:25 AM

308 posts, read 1,228,375 times
There are alot of great areas. What is your budget and what type of house are you looking for?

Old 06-20-2008, 10:54 AM

We would like to rent a 4 bedroom home first before we buy. We will buy a home later for around 260K maybe more it depends on selling our home in Orlando or renting it out to family members.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:02 AM

473 posts, read 1,560,235 times
I don't think it is a given that you should live outside of Dallas. There are several terrific elementary schools in DISD as well as some gifted and talented schools. A lot of it will depend on how much of a commute your husband is willing to tolerate.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:03 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,440,765 times
When you were researching Houston, was your husband going to work downtown? And what area seemed to appeal to you most to live, schools, etc?

Old 06-20-2008, 11:04 AM

308 posts, read 1,228,375 times
Well, in my opinion it will be tough to live in an area in Dallas with good schools and a 4 bed house for $260. Lakehighlands is in Richardson ISD, which is decent, but by no means the best school district, and I don't know if you can get a 4 bed for that price.

You might want to look at the suburubs as most of the DISD is not good. Plano, Frisco, Grapevine, Flower Mound all have good school districts but the commute will be heavy traffic and about 1 hr each way. You can probably get an older 4 bed home for $260k, or if you want something newwer you will have to go even further north, about 50-60 miles or more out of Dallas.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:35 AM

18 posts, read 95,131 times
We just bought a 4 BR in Richardson ISD for around $200 - very well maintained, pretty good schools by all accounts - and we're very happy with it, so it's definitely doable. We couldn't find that price range around good schools in Dallas ISD though, so I do think you'll have to go outside the city - but outside (Richardson, Plano, Allen), you should have a ton of options. Just get informed about the commute first.

Good luck selling in Orlando BTW - tough market there right now!

Old 06-20-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote: When you were researching Houston, was your husband going to work downtown? And what area seemed to appeal to you most to live, schools, etc?

Answer: The Woodlands. We visited that area and it was beautiful and yes, downtown.
Everybody said it would be a long drive to work. Sugar land was another option.

I must say I really like the people in Texas.

Thank you for your quick responses.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:31 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,440,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimoneK View Post
Quote: When you were researching Houston, was your husband going to work downtown? And what area seemed to appeal to you most to live, schools, etc?

Answer: The Woodlands. We visited that area and it was beautiful and yes, downtown.
Everybody said it would be a long drive to work. Sugar land was another option.

I must say I really like the people in Texas.

Thank you for your quick responses.
Both of those would have been hour plus commutes. So comparable would be Plano for sure.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:02 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,374,853 times
Yes, there are houses in the city of Dallas, exemplary elementary schools, recognized middle and high schools for $175,000 (and higher, of course).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas