Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 11:44 PM

2 posts, read 9,353 times

Advertisements

I have found a place to rent near Junius and Munger. I was wondering your opinion of the area. Is it safe for a single female? I have a dog, and I would like to feel safe when I walk her. I know there is a small park and school nearby. I have also heard the Garden Cafe is nice. I am a bartender and would get home late at night, and I do not want to worry about aomwrhing happening that late at night. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 08:28 AM

73 posts, read 183,056 times
I used to live on Victor in Munger Place, just across Munger Boulevard from Junius Heights (and only a few blocks from the location you mentioned). It's a great walking neighborhood - the houses are charming, and still affordable compared to Lakewood or the M-Streets. Plus, the Garden Cafe is a great neighborhood spot (and you're not that far a walk from the Lakewood Shopping Center to the northeast).

The neighbors generally watch out for each other, and I'd say it's fairly safe as long as you are always mindful of where you are. There are some rougher areas just to the south and west (although they are beginning to gentrify as well), and occasionally the crime spills over.

I worked nights when I lived there, and would often take my dog out for a walk around 1-2 a.m. My dog was a 60-pound boxer and I'm 6'1", though, so I don't know if that had anything to do with me being left alone. I never felt unsafe, and the only crime that directly affected me in over 2 years of living there was the fact I had my bike stolen off my back porch while I was out of town. It wasn't locked up, though, so that was my own fault.

The best thing you can do is spend some time in the area, particularly walking, and get a feel for it. Does the place where you'd be living have garage parking, or some kind of protected lot?

Old 06-25-2008, 08:47 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,073 times
Junius Heights is a perfectly safe neighborhood. You will see lots of singles walking, or families with kids. I'm at Worth and Beacon myself. The Garden Cafe is great. You can also walk to the library at Worth and Abrams. The Tipperary Inn etc.
It's a wonderful neighborhood that I can't say enough good things about. I do Theatre so I'm often getting home very late as well, and the streets are nice and quiet about that time. I have walked home from The Tipperary Inn after closing as well and felt perfectly safe. The neighborhood is wonderful, and there doesn't seem to be the antipathy towards renters that you get from owners in some parts of town.
Now I'm a 6 foot guy, so I should point out that my 5 foot 1 inch wife also doesn't hesitate to be out late, or alone in this neighborhood.

Where you are talking about will be not only perfectly safe, but will also put you in one of the nicest, most fun, most convenient to everything great about Dallas parts of town.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:59 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
Before you rent, drive the area at different hours of the day and night. 3am is probably not the best time to walk your dog anywhere, talk to neighbors and ask them about your concerns, use your best judgement.

Naima

Old 06-25-2008, 12:12 PM

28 posts, read 130,684 times
Garden Cafe is fantastic! A group of us meets there once a month for brunch - we all bring our dogs (and now some of our friends have kids -- scary! - who come too) and bring a bottle of champagne - we sit and drink mimosas, eat incredilble food, and chat on the back patio. One of my favorite spots in Dallas!

Old 06-25-2008, 02:50 PM

308 posts, read 1,232,378 times
I would think twice about living there alone. It's a nice little area but it is still in transition. Also there are a lot of cheap apartments in the area that bring in some sketchy people. Everytime I am in that area there always seems to be a bums/weirdos/druggies walking around, but maybe it's just me.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdfw View Post
I would think twice about living there alone. It's a nice little area but it is still in transition. Also there are a lot of cheap apartments in the area that bring in some sketchy people. Everytime I am in that area there always seems to be a bums/weirdos/druggies walking around, but maybe it's just me.
I see that if you get into Peaks Suburban but not in Munger Place/Junius Heights. And she would be, from her description ,on the border of Munger Place and Junius Heights. I have known three of four female friends who lived there alone. That particular intersection is always crowded with kids playing on the playground in the evening.
My wife who is famously paranoid about being a small( 5 foot 1) women walks the area late at night when she can't sleep.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:21 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
I see that if you get into Peaks Suburban but not in Munger Place/Junius Heights. And she would be, from her description ,on the border of Munger Place and Junius Heights. I have known three of four female friends who lived there alone. That particular intersection is always crowded with kids playing on the playground in the evening.
My wife who is famously paranoid about being a small( 5 foot 1) women walks the area late at night when she can't sleep.
Walking the streets just about anywhere late at night is prob not the best idea. Having a 60 lb dog helps, but safety and common sense should be utilized. Feeling safe and being safe are two different things.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Walking the streets just about anywhere late at night is prob not the best idea. Having a 60 lb dog helps, but safety and common sense should be utilized. Feeling safe and being safe are two different things.
True and I should make it clear she walks a limited area, and around 11-12 not 2-3

Old 06-26-2008, 11:05 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
I have 'lived alone' here for 7 or 8 years, never had a problem - the only attack I worry about is that of the yuppies. Lots of people walk in our neighborhood and at all times. I have also walked home at 2 am from The Tip and Lakewood Shopping Center. There have been a couple of neighborhood "characters" who walk around but everyone knows who they are - perhaps bill doesn't.

Macbeth we are going to have to get together with lexy for mimosas! City Data member Texas Amy also lives in our historic district and often posts here about Lipscomb Elementary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas