Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 09:13 PM

216 posts, read 715,937 times

Advertisements

I have visited this forum on numerous occasions but never posted. As somebody already mentioned, some burbs here are underrepresented and therefore some erronous information about them have been posted. The above cities have low crime, cedar hill is booming with new business, and according to money magazine, is comparable to much loved northern cities such as rockwall and richardson (in terms of median income),so whats up?

as mentioned, cedar hill has become a grrreat shopping destination, If you are into active familly activities such as biking, hiking and boating then there is no better city than cedar hill which is minutes from joe pool lake state park. It is the most naturaly beautiful part of N. Texas and less than 30 minutes from downtown

so, whats wrong with this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 09:27 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
It needs better performing public schools.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
true. but the school system is no worse/better than schools in dallas, yes...even schools in north dallas. As in Dallas, cedar hill has exemplery and recognized schools. you just have to make sure you buy in the right area... as in dallas

there is also a wide selection of great private schools for those who choose that route

Old 06-28-2008, 10:01 PM

434 posts, read 1,481,668 times
Quote:
another erroneous comment.
Look at the TEA scores and you will see that on a whole Cedar hills stats are comparable to that of some of the far north burbs.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:39 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,694 times
There is really nothing wrong with those area. Even the much chastised oak cliff has nice areas. The problem is local snobbery. In the minds of those living in great white way aka the northern burbs anything to the south or east is just a deplorable hell hole and crime ridden ghetto. What those people are really meaning to say is that they are closet racists and deathly afraid to live near a minority.

The northeren burbs are no better than any other part of dallas, they just have that cachet and prestige.

people don't care if they have to drive an hour and half one way to get to work, so long as they can tell their friends they live in one of the coveted northern burbs.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern living View Post
true. but the school system is no worse/better than schools in dallas, yes...even schools in north dallas. As in Dallas, cedar hill has exemplery and recognized schools. you just have to make sure you buy in the right area... as in dallas

there is also a wide selection of great private schools for those who choose that route
Exactly, it's comparable to Dallas ISD. Do people in Frisco try to "sell" their school district to potential new residents by saying their school district is no worse/better than schools in Dallas?

Old 06-28-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Exactly, it's comparable to Dallas ISD. Do people in Frisco try to "sell" their school district to potential new residents by saying their school district is no worse/better than schools in Dallas?

Woa FarNorth check the stats. Frisco ISD is good but not excellent across the board.
Compare Cedar Hill ISD to Frisco. You will see Frisco HS academically acceptable(not so excellent) I pay taxes here and I am not so happy about that.
Frisco elementary recognized and many exemplary (right on!)
Frisco middle - some accademically acceptable, recognized and exemplary.

Cedar Hill ISD - H.S- Accademically acceptable
Elementary, Middle School - some recognized and exemplary

9th grade center- Accademically unacceptable.

From the TEA this shows the schooling between these 2 burbs not to be so far apart.

Maybe the other burbs should start beating their chests and self promoting more since people seem to only listen to what is said and not what is on paper

Old 06-28-2008, 11:04 PM

By the way I live in Frisco if you didn't catch that.
I am from out of town so I don't just go with the grain or what I hear. I have friends that make judgements without seeing or reading the facts for themselves and it is probably my biggest pet peave.
I hear Mckinney folks bash Frisco and vice versa - all of them baseless arguments.

I have a friend that was bashing fairview the other day and I asked him if he and I saw/visitted the same place. I found out he had never been there and was going off of what a neighbor told him. Geeeez

Oh well. Thanks for listening

Old 06-28-2008, 11:26 PM

Well, great, then if it's just a perception problem with Cedar Hill ISD and not a real problem, then it should hire a public relations person. Easy fix.

And maybe someday Frisco ISD will live up to it's hype.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Well, great, then if it's just a perception problem with Cedar Hill ISD and not a real problem, then it should hire a public relations person. Easy fix.

And maybe someday Frisco ISD will live up to it's hype.
lets look at the facts. according to the TEA 2007 accountability ratings,plano isd, frisco isd, allen isd, keller isd, even grapevine-colleyville isd are all rated accademically acceptable...as is desoto, duncanville and cedar hill. surprised?

What is disturbing to me is that for posters who decide that they would like to buy in these communities, it is usualy suggested to them that cedar hill schools are not good and if they HAVE to settle in this part of the metroplex, they are better off considering midlothian or mansfield school districts. well, here is onother surprise...midlothian and mansfield are also rated academically acceptable by the TEA. Okay, somebody will be quick to point out that the 9th grade center in cedar hill is rated unnaceptable. But allen isd has 2 schools that are rated unnaceptable and keller isd had 8, 8! and yet both of these cities are deemed to be some of the best places to live in the metroplex. As a matter of fact, Keller is ranked in the top 10 by D magazine as the best place to live in the megtropex

bias...what do you think? could you possibly be wrong?

my point: most of the misinformed posters mean well but they are just plain wrong. most comments about the cedar hill/desoto/duncanville area are based on negative perceptions and are just plain wrong. As a result, you will get more home for your money and schools that are just as good.

I admit, highland park isd is better than cedar hill isd. it is rated exemplery. too bad i cant afford to move there. cedar hill schools are just as good as MOST northern dallas schools. There is just no statistical significance between the schools as the data confirms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas