U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 09:27 PM

313 posts, read 1,660,244 times

Advertisements

Hi, Anyone know anything about Stonebridge ranch in McKinney?

We are moving in April to an apartment in Frisco and are looking at houses to buy afterwards. We liked the Frisco area when we were there last and Plano as well, what about Mckinney? It seems we can get a house for a little less in Mckinney? How is the neighborhood?

Thanks!

-LOK
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 06:59 AM

3,035 posts, read 13,919,982 times
The same developer built it that built the Master Planned Community in San Diego where I lived....so that was the first place we looked.

Stonebridge Ranch is gorgeous in my opinion - the terrain/feel out there is nice. It is also very well priced compared to Frisco. In fact, I was just looking in a community I looked at last Summer and in some cases the prices appear lower than Summer 06.

In Frisco, no way...prices go up what seems monthly, especially on new homes as the builders give you their sob story on building materials (ask them why the same builder isn't charging more in Stonebridge :-)

Things I hate about Stonebridge:

-Feels like a country club community dropped in the middle of a low income area. Recall that they were in the middle of developing this area during the Dallas S&L crisis, so went that went down.....our friends from Fox and Jacobs went out there and built sub-entry level housing. Mckinney and The Colony suffered this fate.
-Crime is actually alot higher than Frisco, in fact, I believe Plano even came in lower. But that's because Mckinney has some seedy older areas.
-You'll commute to any kind of shopping other than the grocery store
-I honestly didn't think people were friendly when I was looking out there. Everyone I met that I liked lived in Frisco/Plano. I believe this has something to do with Stonebridge being 'transplant central'. So there isn't much of that hospitality you get south. But this could of just been the day/circumstances. The kids in the Subway I ate at were rude. The old gals in the Stonebridge information center were rude and the gal I spoke to in the apartments there was downright annoying. Again, maybe just a bad day.
-The prop taxes are the highest in Colin County (~3%)
-The schools are hit or miss. Great Elementaries, but the middle and HSs seem to have issues.
-A bit far from the airport
-The community pools there feeds 10s of thousands of people, so I'd say public places like Heritage Fitness in Plano may have less people there on a hot day swimming.
-Seems that people from Dallas hate the area, transplants love it, but I talk to few locals that like it out there, so resale suffers because it's only a matter of time before transplants realize you can't buy a nice home for 150k anymore. That's a myth.
-I hate the 75
-I hate the 75
-I hate the 75

Did I tell you I hate the 75 ?

With all that said, it is still an area I like - it has a peaceful upscale rural feel I haven't seen anywhere else in DFW. I believe that as industry comes in, the taxes will go lower, more schools will be built, etc. If I worked at Raytheon, it would be a no brainer. And note that that division of Raytheon is a powerhouse (they build bombs and guidance systems), so they are not going anywhere.

But the 75 will always be the main artery in/out....yuck.

Last edited by socketz; 01-15-2007 at 07:08 AM..

Old 01-15-2007, 08:40 AM

313 posts, read 1,660,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
The same developer built it that built the Master Planned Community in San Diego where I lived....so that was the first place we looked.

Stonebridge Ranch is gorgeous in my opinion - the terrain/feel out there is nice. It is also very well priced compared to Frisco. In fact, I was just looking in a community I looked at last Summer and in some cases the prices appear lower than Summer 06.

In Frisco, no way...prices go up what seems monthly, especially on new homes as the builders give you their sob story on building materials (ask them why the same builder isn't charging more in Stonebridge :-)

Things I hate about Stonebridge:

-Feels like a country club community dropped in the middle of a low income area. Recall that they were in the middle of developing this area during the Dallas S&L crisis, so went that went down.....our friends from Fox and Jacobs went out there and built sub-entry level housing. Mckinney and The Colony suffered this fate.
-Crime is actually alot higher than Frisco, in fact, I believe Plano even came in lower. But that's because Mckinney has some seedy older areas.
-You'll commute to any kind of shopping other than the grocery store
-I honestly didn't think people were friendly when I was looking out there. Everyone I met that I liked lived in Frisco/Plano. I believe this has something to do with Stonebridge being 'transplant central'. So there isn't much of that hospitality you get south. But this could of just been the day/circumstances. The kids in the Subway I ate at were rude. The old gals in the Stonebridge information center were rude and the gal I spoke to in the apartments there was downright annoying. Again, maybe just a bad day.
-The prop taxes are the highest in Colin County (~3%)
-The schools are hit or miss. Great Elementaries, but the middle and HSs seem to have issues.
-A bit far from the airport
-The community pools there feeds 10s of thousands of people, so I'd say public places like Heritage Fitness in Plano may have less people there on a hot day swimming.
-Seems that people from Dallas hate the area, transplants love it, but I talk to few locals that like it out there, so resale suffers because it's only a matter of time before transplants realize you can't buy a nice home for 150k anymore. That's a myth.
-I hate the 75
-I hate the 75
-I hate the 75

Did I tell you I hate the 75 ?

With all that said, it is still an area I like - it has a peaceful upscale rural feel I haven't seen anywhere else in DFW. I believe that as industry comes in, the taxes will go lower, more schools will be built, etc. If I worked at Raytheon, it would be a no brainer. And note that that division of Raytheon is a powerhouse (they build bombs and guidance systems), so they are not going anywhere.

But the 75 will always be the main artery in/out....yuck.

Thanks! good info. We have been looking around at a lot of different places. Noticed that we can buy new in McKinney for cheaper than Frisco. We are moving to an apartment in Frisco soon and then can look at places in person but it is helpful to get info from people that know.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:20 AM

14,862 posts, read 40,507,118 times
Just a few quick issues w/ McKinney and Stonebridge.

The traffic. That and they drive FAST!!!!! My sis lives in Stonebridge and she is always calling the police to ask if they can patrol Stonebridge Pkwy. Only once, and this was last week, have I EVER traveled down Stonebridge Pkwy and not seen an accident. At those 2 & 4 way stops, you better be paying attention as others are not and they are FLYING!!! Had one lady on my tail going down Virginia into Stonebridge. Speedlimit was 45 and I was doing 50 yet she was on my tail and hot as a firecracker as I was not going faster. No thanks, I don't want a ticket. And as soon as I give them my DL that does not have a McKinney address I would get one. The Albertsons at the corner of Stonebridge and Virginia has been closed for over a year now. Nothing has gone in there at all. Kind of strange that with all of the housing around there they could not survive Noticed that even 5 minutes after school started (8:30 for elem) that there was still a ton of traffic of people getting their kids to one school. What's up w/ that? Is that everyday? Hope not. The high school had their hours shortened by 30 minutes. Asked my sis that teaches in McKinney about that. The parents petitioned and got it that way. Said their kids needed out sooner and they did not need that 30 minutes anyway. Okay. My sisters comment, "what the parents want in McKinney, they get. The school board bows down to them." Not a good thing. The elem does not give your standard grades. They have a different grading system that for the most part the teachers do not like. I want to say it is 1, 2, 3 or 4. Homework, you mean your child is too busy to do homework. Don't worry they won't get in trouble for it if you complain to the principal. Seriosly my sis has dealt w/ this every year in McKinney at more than one school. They are told not to count the homework below a certain grade and to give the students all semester to turn it in. Okay. And here my child sits doing a school project that she came home w/ on Friday and it is due this Friday. Yes, she IS doing it or she will be in trouble at home. LOL!!! There have been many other things that my sis has dealt w/ personally as a teacher that most residents do not see. Even she is planning on moving and getting out of McKinney before her child starts school. She does not even want them in the elem schoo there.

Recently they had in the news about some vandalism going on in McKinney. Windows being shot out w/ bb guns. LOTS of damage done and the police said they knew it was a band of about 20 juvies doing it. They had talked to 2 teens but made no arrests. Okay, parents KNOW that the pd talked to their kid. If it was MY kid I would have them at the pd, being a juvie and not wanting to ruin their entire life IF they got it straight I would be wanting them to make restitution in some way. Say ALL summer they have to do the yardwork (mow, etc) at EVERY home that they shot out a window in the house or the cars. They have now arrested a few of the teens but not all. Still trying to identify. Oh yes, this all happened during the wee hours of the night. Parental control?

Went to the new SuperTarget, it was nice and not crowded at all on a weekday morning. A handful of people and most were moms w/ small children. Pretty typical of even my area SuperTarget.

Road construction. OMG!!!!!! It is all under construction w/ new roads being put in. Then the fact they drive so darn fast.

Don't care for some of the homes in surrounding areas around Stonebridge. Small, and I mean REALLY small yards. Front entry garages and the driveways are so short that my Suburban would not fit in the drive. It was like they were built right on top of the street. Yet they did not call these "zero lot" homes. Stonebridge has some very nice housing but what is being built that is new is subpar. The larger custom homes on larger lots are pretty but I only see the problems that are going to be faced w/ school overcrowding and traffic jams on every road w/ the other construction. Homes piled high on top of each other.

Yes, 75 North is BAD. Your much better off stopping in Allen. Allen is nice and won't get as built up as McKinney.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:02 AM

64 posts, read 225,745 times
Thanks for that information on Stonebridge and Mckinney. I was going to take a look at that area before finally settling on The Shores in Rockwall, but now I don't think I will. It's hard not knowing a place and basing such a big decision on visits and whatever you can learn on the internet. Some of the houses in Mckinney seem too good to be true. Such a great value for the money. I thought the same thing about Rowlett until I went there. I wasted quite a bit of time and money investigating Rowlett because they too seemed too good to be true. They were. And that Waterview area is a downright red herring. Thankfully I ventured over to Rockwall and Heath, and although more expensive, there aren't so many of these other issues that come up about some of these other areas..."Why" not withstanding. Lol. I'll have to try and cheer why up if we become neighbors! Anyway, thanks again for the info and good luck to Sockets because I think he decided to move there (Mckinney). That guy seems too smart to make a mistake though, and Stargazer loves it, so maybe it's not so bad. Would the traffic be as bad going to Dallas from Rockwall?

By the way, when two cars crash into eachother why do Texans call it a wreck? We call that an accident. I want to get the correct vernacular down so that people don't label me a yankee. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:55 AM

I don't want to slam Rowlett because I have friends at work that live out there, but there is really no comparison between Rowlett and Stonebridge Ranch in Mckinney. Visit out there one day and tell me what you think.

Good luck on the new home.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:36 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,352,916 times
Property taxes in McKinney are much higher than Frisco. Something to consider especially if you're commuting and need to budget for tolls and gas.

best of luck to you!

Old 02-26-2007, 01:46 PM

157 posts, read 625,416 times
In regard to why people refer to a car accident as a "wreck", that is a good question! As a native, I just always heard that. But you can say "accident" and nobody will peg you an "outsider". Also, many natives use the phrase "fixin' to" where as you would probably say "about to".

Old 02-26-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulf5driver View Post
Property taxes in McKinney are much higher than Frisco.
Mckinney dropped from 2.99 to 2.76 this year.

Further reductions are expected next year.

Frisco on the Denton side is 2.32, the a little higher than that on the Collin County side.

Comes to about $100 per month difference this year.

I also understand that Frisco is looking to open 2 addition High Schools next year, so I expect at some point the taxes will climb back up there.

My thinking is that within the next 2 years Frisco and Mckinney will both even out somewhere in the 2.5 range (where Plano is). Both are pretty aggressive with regards to attracting new industry, so I don't see either town going higher at this point.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:26 AM

1,560 posts, read 6,891,446 times
The ISD portion of your tax bill should go down for 2007 based on what I've read on House Bill 1. (Unless hikes are approved in a general election.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas