Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 11:08 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,557,784 times

Advertisements

HIya.

Well, I would say Plano is middle-of-the-road as far as "uptightness" goes. You are still in Texas after all, so you do have a lot of conservative people. That being said, Plano is full of transplants from other states and countries...so I don't know how much the "typical" Texas conservatism necessarily applies. I am a liberal gal, and though I would never say Plano is my ideal place, I don't feel out of place here. There is a head shop, condom shop, beer & wine sold at grocery stores, cultural diversity (though many more asian/ indian than black or hispanic...from my perception at least). I would agree with an earlier poster that it is definately a "family-oriented" area...which is probably one of the reasons we will find it hard to leave here (now that we have a child), though it was never our intention to stay. It does seem that there are a bazillion churches, but I am not religious...so just pretty (or not so pretty sometimes) buildings to me. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 12:13 PM

28 posts, read 87,952 times
We just visited Plano and we loved it, so different than Reno. it was so clean and everyone was so nice! Plano girl gave a great insight and I love the "family-orientated' idea. It was a little strange that kids weren't playing in the housing developments or on the streets,which is different here, you see a lot of teenagers rooming around. I wonder if its due to the heat? or if kids are just different there? We are really considering a move to Plano!

Old 07-05-2008, 04:00 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,557,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jherbst View Post
It was a little strange that kids weren't playing in the housing developments or on the streets,which is different here, you see a lot of teenagers rooming around.
I think that depends on neighborhoods. We live down the street from a park...and have loads of people of all ages out walking around...though not so much in the day right now (due to the high temps) but lots in the evening/early morning. But overall, I do think kids just don't play outside as much as they used to, especially in higher income areas where the parents have the money to find alternate entertainment for them. It is sad.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:43 PM

26 posts, read 581,825 times
In my neighborhood I don't see many kids playing in the street because they are either playing in the backyard where it is safer, or in the pool as most homes have one.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:56 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
In my Christian school in England (Ages 3-10) the kids sold wine door to door as a fundraiser.
We turned out ok
No, you didn't.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Last edited by laysayfair; 07-05-2008 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-05-2008, 09:46 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
No, you didn't.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
I resent that. How dare you question the sanity of King of all the turtle People.
I shall have to send my minions up to cart you off to the peppermint palace of pain.

Implying I'm not right in the head. That'll teach you!

Old 07-06-2008, 12:35 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
I resent that. How dare you question the sanity of King of all the turtle People.
I shall have to send my minions up to cart you off to the peppermint palace of pain.

Implying I'm not right in the head. That'll teach you!
LOL! Not the peppermint palace of pain! Not the minions! Not the cart! Noooooooo!

Old 07-06-2008, 09:22 AM

341 posts, read 1,018,977 times
My own theory about all the wierd stuff that happens in Plano is that it has a
lot to do with the suppression of their inhibitions up there because of the their puritanical values, exemplified by local restrictions on alcoholic consumption. And I know some may gag at these attempts to be an arm-chair shrink, so my apologies for that.
But I dunno if any other of the large Texas cities have this hodge-podge collection of all the mid & small 'burbs (and with the city limits of Dallas as I understand it) re the "local-option" application like N.Texas has ? I just know the last time I was there ('bout '96 in Irving) for any length of time, it was a real inconvenience to find a place to get a couple beers. I would have thought they would have that changed by now.
On the one hand DFW is a very sophisticated, international metro area and on the other its like a little hick town in rural Alabama or Mississippi that wants to impose its teetotaling, church-going values on its residences and vistors regardless of their values.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:24 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
My own theory about all the wierd stuff that happens in Plano is that it has a
lot to do with the suppression of their inhibitions up there because of the their puritanical values, exemplified by local restrictions on alcoholic consumption. And I know some may gag at these attempts to be an arm-chair shrink, so my apologies for that.
But I dunno if any other of the large Texas cities have this hodge-podge collection of all the mid & small 'burbs (and with the city limits of Dallas as I understand it) re the "local-option" application like N.Texas has ? I just know the last time I was there ('bout '96 in Irving) for any length of time, it was a real inconvenience to find a place to get a couple beers. I would have thought they would have that changed by now.
On the one hand DFW is a very sophisticated, international metro area and on the other its like a little hick town in rural Alabama or Mississippi that wants to impose its teetotaling, church-going values on its residences and vistors regardless of their values.
And I bet you consider yourself a tolerant, open-minded liberal person...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas