Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 12:16 PM

549 posts, read 2,193,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
"We went to La Cima in Stonebridge and it was very nice but we were so exhausted by that time plus we were pretty much set on Frisco before we came that we didnt want to start having to learn about Mckinney."

Ironic. When I first started looking, all I looked at was Stonebridge, then the Realtor wanted to take me to Frisco....end of the week...burned out. We drove through for 30 mins and both my wife and I agreed that Stonebridge was nicer. That of course changed shortly thereafter for me as I went back to a full on search in Frisco. Then, it seemed like everything I wanted in Frisco had some catch to it. Mainly, for the price range I wanted (300kish), I wasn't that happy with anything. So my wife reverted back to "What about Stonebridge"...I then returned to the area I loved (La Cima) and found the last remaining lot on a greenbelt. Taxes are higher in Stonebridge, but I just got a better feel when I was out there vs. Frisco. It seems that Frisco always works out for me on paper, but I have never really gotten excited about it....since my time frame is short (2 years), I also worry that I will be competing head to head with new construction for many more years. Conversely, Stonebridge will be completely built out in 2 years. In the end though, I still love both spots. Stonebridge is so close to Frisco, I may run across you at the mall :-)
Are you moving back to CA in 2 years?

Congrats on your purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulf5driver View Post
What are "DW's" ?

thanks - b
David Weekly the home builder.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:54 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulf5driver View Post
What are "DW's" ?

thanks - b
Double Wides I did not know they allowed those in new neighborhoods in Frisco. jk

Really, it stands for David Weekly.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:06 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,174 times
David Weekly builds a nice home.

So Derek, are you looking at the 55 foot lots in Pearson Farms ? If so, check out the Northmoor plan from DW. It actually fits nicely on the smaller lots. Also, unless they sold them, there are a few lots there on Pack Saddle that back up to the 5 acre park there in the center. Nice lots. I liked those smaller DW plans, but my wife didn't. She also did not like anything from Landstar, and they had some smokin deals running (i.e. 35k off anything, spec or new build).

As for my stay....2 years is what's being planned at this point. That was the only way I could talk my wife into moving. You might try this approach as well ;-)

Old 02-07-2007, 10:04 PM

50 posts, read 299,776 times
Socketz,

How did you mentally overcome the hurdle of higher taxes in McKinney (2.9% vs. 2.3% in Pearson Farms) and the higher HOA of Stonebridge versus Pearson Farms? I seem to recall you previously mentioned a difference of something like $150-$200 month more in Stonebridge vs. Frisco.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:36 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,759,075 times
There is a Newland Community, the same people that build master planned communities like Stonebridge, here where I live. The people that live there have CDD fees tacked on to their property taxes. The fees from what I understand, are high. Does Stonebridge have CDD's? What about any other areas?

b

Old 02-08-2007, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
David Weekly builds a nice home.

So Derek, are you looking at the 55 foot lots in Pearson Farms ? If so, check out the Northmoor plan from DW. It actually fits nicely on the smaller lots. Also, unless they sold them, there are a few lots there on Pack Saddle that back up to the 5 acre park there in the center. Nice lots. I liked those smaller DW plans, but my wife didn't. She also did not like anything from Landstar, and they had some smokin deals running (i.e. 35k off anything, spec or new build).

As for my stay....2 years is what's being planned at this point. That was the only way I could talk my wife into moving. You might try this approach as well ;-)

Hey Mike,

It was the 55s, we liked the shadow ridge model best, so if we decide yes that would be the one.

Thats a good plan, but my wife knows that it would not be a move for 2 years so that won't work for me :-)

Old 02-09-2007, 09:21 PM

"How did you mentally overcome the hurdle of higher taxes in McKinney (2.9% vs. 2.3% in Pearson Farms) and the higher HOA of Stonebridge versus Pearson Farms? I seem to recall you previously mentioned a difference of something like $150-$200 month more in Stonebridge vs. Frisco."

Mckinney's taxes dropped down to 2.7 this year and they are projecting yet another big drop next year as well. The HOA is higher, but you have to admit that Stonebridge Ranch may have the best ammenities of any community in DFW (2 Aquatic Centers, Man Made Beach, 14 Ponds, Country Club, YMCA, Miles of BIke Trails, 4 major Parks, etc.). They are also $300 less per year than what I paid in CA, and there I had nothing except a marginal pool that was shared by too many people.

Overall, I think I'm partial to large master planned communities (my wife is as well). I just like the uniform feel of over 6000 acres of homes that look correctly designed and placed among one another. I also like that everytime I go to Stonebridge, I see people jogging, kids playing and lots of grass, trees with gentle rolling hills.

And there are tons of other Californians there to boot....so I guess it's my tribe out there :-)

I'm also somewhat bullish on home prices there as Stonebridge is slated to be completely built out in 2 years where as SW Frisco still appears to have 5-7 years to go. There are also just about 2x the number of homes on the market in my price range in SW Frisco as compared to Stonebridge (and Stonebridge is huge). That scares me a little as well. Add that Phillips Creek Ranch roles in next year, that adds thousands more new construction homes.

Don't get me wrong, I still love Frisco, but for a short term move, I think selling there in two years it will be alot harder to stand out.

Last edited by socketz; 02-09-2007 at 09:32 PM..

Old 02-09-2007, 09:42 PM

"There is a Newland Community, the same people that build master planned communities like Stonebridge, here where I live. The people that live there have CDD fees tacked on to their property taxes. The fees from what I understand, are high. Does Stonebridge have CDD's? What about any other areas? "

Where are you located ? I think they have another development over in Southlake.

I've never heard of any CDDs. In CA we call these CFDs or 'Mello Roos'....many times they are as much as the property taxes.

I need to explore these CDDs.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:21 AM

50 posts, read 299,776 times
I haven't heard of any CDD's in the three years that I've been here. However, there are a few areas around the Metroplex that are PID's (Public Improvement Districts). Sounds like it could be the same thing. I only know of one in the Frisco area, i.e., Panther Creek subdivision.

I have friends that bought in this subdivision a few months ago and they were well aware of the PID fees. Both they're realtor and the sales rep told them about it.

That's the key... some people don't mind paying the PID fees others do. It is only a real problem when people are not told or it gets downplayed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas