Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:13 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times

Advertisements

Some of you may remember the momentous minute or two when I recommended Plano over more far-flung places to a poster here...I had to warn her that you are just a number in such large schools but I would choose them because they at least have some diversity and blow away those other districts up there with National Merit numbers.

Then the poster came back and said something about the houses in Plano being too old!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 11:55 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Some of you may remember the momentous minute or two when I recommended Plano over more far-flung places to a poster here...I had to warn her that you are just a number in such large schools but I would choose them because they at least have some diversity and blow away those other districts up there with National Merit numbers.

Then the poster came back and said something about the houses in Plano being too old!
Yes, I remember that. It was rather humorous especially for many of us here someone say, "Plano is too old". LOL!!!

Old 07-02-2008, 12:02 PM

116 posts, read 448,072 times
Over 50k people come to work on Legacy Headquarters-Preston-Hwy121 every day. That is a concentrated high level of executives!

Quote:
Plano, is the ninth largest city in Texas and home to the corporate headquarters of companies such as Electronic Data Systems Corp. (NYSE: EDS) and J.C. Penney Co. Inc. (NYSE: JCP)

Old 07-02-2008, 12:04 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnSlaney View Post
Over 50k people come to work on Legacy Headquarters-Preston-Hwy121 every day. That is a concentrated high level of executives!
And exactly how many of them live within the city limits of Plano? THAT would be the interesting thing to see as I'm sure a good number of them don't.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:20 PM

430 posts, read 1,359,095 times
Quote:
but I would choose them because they at least have some diversity and blow away those other districts up there with National Merit numbers.!
National Merit has little to do with the schools.

You are born with an IQ >130 and your parents/schools can add 10 points, but that is it. The rest is innate. Most NM kids would be NM no matter where they land.

Some of those kids are Ruf Level 3/4.

Most of the other 4s and the few 5s are homeschooled or go to private school or to Dallas Magnet because the Public school cannot and will not accomodate them.

Plano HS are good schools, but they do not advance or skip grades irregardless of age nor do they have special classes, thus they cannot be a magnet for the truly gifted.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:20 PM

636 posts, read 1,916,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnSlaney View Post
That's an amazing stat! I remember in the mid 90's when JCP moved their headquarters to Plano from New York, and all of the New Yorkers that had previously never even owned a car moved into our neighborhood; you REALLY had to watch out.

And of course a large number of these headquarters' executives live in Plano; why would they not?

Old 07-02-2008, 05:01 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnetx View Post
National Merit has little to do with the schools.

You are born with an IQ >130 and your parents/schools can add 10 points, but that is it. The rest is innate. Most NM kids would be NM no matter where they land.

Some of those kids are Ruf Level 3/4.

Most of the other 4s and the few 5s are homeschooled or go to private school or to Dallas Magnet because the Public school cannot and will not accomodate them.

Plano HS are good schools, but they do not advance or skip grades irregardless of age nor do they have special classes, thus they cannot be a magnet for the truly gifted.
Maybe so but why is Frisco so highly touted when several regular Dallas comprehensive high schools regularly beat them at National Merit?

Old 07-02-2008, 06:55 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,754,879 times
Quote:
Maybe so but why is Frisco so highly touted when several regular Dallas comprehensive high schools regularly beat them at National Merit?
Because it is new and shiny.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:24 PM

116 posts, read 448,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
And exactly how many of them live within the city limits of Plano? THAT would be the interesting thing to see as I'm sure a good number of them don't.
I will find the source & article with stats. This was from research for a developer in Plano- Ridgeview area in 2006. I would think 60% of the employees that work in Legacy Headquarter corridor live in Collin County. The Legacy Corporate row employment is what built Frisco, McKinney & Allen housing developments.
**Plano schools are fantastic, with many older schools that are eligible for Blue Ribbon & Merit status. Their programs are expanded & more diverse in many subjects. Plano's class sizes are also much larger, than the new shiney Frisco schools- just like Richardson & Dallas schools.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:37 AM

434 posts, read 1,482,155 times
Quote:

Great marketing and people tend to get brainwashed with great marketing.

a lot of folks in Frisco are from out of town and depending on where they came from the public education is an upgrade so they can't help but be happy and talk about it (A Lot). When they finally take a deep look they realize that they are not perfect and there is tons of room to grow in education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas