Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 06:41 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Pretty funny, we have the same problem in our office. Our building has a pretty robust HVAC system and it's usuall yin the 60's in the office.

I don't know how cold it was but what's weird is that I love cold weather and hardly ever turn on my central heat in the winter so therefore, I don't know why the A/C makes me feel so much colder than normal cold weather which is colder than the A/C was. Wow! Now that was a long sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 07:45 AM

339 posts, read 1,435,679 times
Geez, I hope nobody calls me a troll simply because I positively HATE Dallas' summers and find them utterly oppressive. I may be feeding "it" but I found many of NorthDallasDan's comments throughout this thread rather witty and not too far fetched. (As I have other sarcasm drenched posts by non-trolls, in other threads, who also happen to dislike Dallas.) Perhaps because I'm not out baking in these temps, I'm not leathery skinned enough to ignore the types who get riled up when someone dares speak any ill towards this great Republic of Texas.

My particular relationship with Dallas is not unlike a marriage. I feel like filing for separation from June-September. Though I'm not going to divorce the whole city simply because I loathe the summers and wish autumn came much sooner. The ridiculous suggestion I've witnessed in many threads that people who gritch about our summers and aren't shy to voice their painfully low tolerances to it--the ones that dare post to forum designed for the discussion of city topics, whether good or bad--is that they should just leave this city altogether! I choose to stay in Dallas, my native city, because this is my HOME of 33 years. I admire anyone who keeps an active lifestyle during our summers but often find that us oddballs are awfully quick to be schooled on how hot is isn't.

So the Oh, it's not so bad here in the summer talk just gets as tiresome to someone who cannot abide the heat and has to defend their sensitivity to it, as it must be to the people who have grown accustomed and think we should suck it up. And no, I have yet to "get used to it" but I do keep waiting! I just don't understand how some folks take it so personally that a fraction of Dallas' residents think this city's weather is not ideal. Or that they feel irritated when they choose to defend temps that are to some people really quite stifling. Troll or not, people can have the opinion that Dallas is ugly, brown and h-o-t. Even when we have a 'mild' summer, it's still hotter than Hades to *me*. So all the hair-splitting about how high/low our humidity is or how many days it's 100+ degrees doesn't really make a difference to true heat heaters, lol. At some point hot is hot is hot is hot and however it's spun, oh yeah um.... it's still hot.

For everyone who is sick of reading complaints about the heat, and I know the Dallas weather threads must get super old especially to long tierm members who field some truly odd TX climate/insects/accent queries, I am just as sick of hearing that I should try Minnesota and shovel snow for 30 years, how if I can't stand the heat I gotta get out of the kitchen, how I'd commit suicide if I had to endure a climate as truly horrific and gray as the NW, or even how I'm not a "real" Dallassite. And lots of other snarky comments from friends and family and perfect strangers.... just because I prefer to hibernate until Fall and not live a life slathered in SPF 4000.

It's so nice to encounter the members here who sympathize with differences in tolerance and don't wildly defend these temps. And who understand it really is 'to each his own'. I already feel like such a freak as a native who wilts when it gets over 85.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:35 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I am just thinking what my Daddy would say (who had no experience with electricity until he served in WWII). "People are spoiled! We picked cotton all day".

Old 07-31-2008, 11:39 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacvb1974 View Post
Geez, I hope nobody calls me a troll simply because I positively HATE Dallas' summers and find them utterly oppressive. I may be feeding "it" but I found many of NorthDallasDan's comments throughout this thread rather witty and not too far fetched. (As I have other sarcasm drenched posts by non-trolls, in other threads, who also happen to dislike Dallas.) Perhaps because I'm not out baking in these temps, I'm not leathery skinned enough to ignore the types who get riled up when someone dares speak any ill towards this great Republic of Texas.

My particular relationship with Dallas is not unlike a marriage. I feel like filing for separation from June-September. Though I'm not going to divorce the whole city simply because I loathe the summers and wish autumn came much sooner. The ridiculous suggestion I've witnessed in many threads that people who gritch about our summers and aren't shy to voice their painfully low tolerances to it--the ones that dare post to forum designed for the discussion of city topics, whether good or bad--is that they should just leave this city altogether! I choose to stay in Dallas, my native city, because this is my HOME of 33 years. I admire anyone who keeps an active lifestyle during our summers but often find that us oddballs are awfully quick to be schooled on how hot is isn't.

So the Oh, it's not so bad here in the summer talk just gets as tiresome to someone who cannot abide the heat and has to defend their sensitivity to it, as it must be to the people who have grown accustomed and think we should suck it up. And no, I have yet to "get used to it" but I do keep waiting! I just don't understand how some folks take it so personally that a fraction of Dallas' residents think this city's weather is not ideal. Or that they feel irritated when they choose to defend temps that are to some people really quite stifling. Troll or not, people can have the opinion that Dallas is ugly, brown and h-o-t. Even when we have a 'mild' summer, it's still hotter than Hades to *me*. So all the hair-splitting about how high/low our humidity is or how many days it's 100+ degrees doesn't really make a difference to true heat heaters, lol. At some point hot is hot is hot is hot and however it's spun, oh yeah um.... it's still hot.

For everyone who is sick of reading complaints about the heat, and I know the Dallas weather threads must get super old especially to long tierm members who field some truly odd TX climate/insects/accent queries, I am just as sick of hearing that I should try Minnesota and shovel snow for 30 years, how if I can't stand the heat I gotta get out of the kitchen, how I'd commit suicide if I had to endure a climate as truly horrific and gray as the NW, or even how I'm not a "real" Dallassite. And lots of other snarky comments from friends and family and perfect strangers.... just because I prefer to hibernate until Fall and not live a life slathered in SPF 4000.

It's so nice to encounter the members here who sympathize with differences in tolerance and don't wildly defend these temps. And who understand it really is 'to each his own'. I already feel like such a freak as a native who wilts when it gets over 85.
The difference between a troll and someone who just really doesn't like the weather here (or any other aspect of Dallas or whichever city you choose) is to me 1.) Do they try to universalize their experience or do they accept that others do not struggle with the problems they themselves have and 2.) Do they then try and exaggerate the opposing view's viewpoint (All you Dallas lovers who claim Dallas is heaven on Earth....).

I can sympathize with those who hate the heat here because when I was in Washington, DC I could not bear the cold there - and it doesn't even get that cold! But I never once tried to say DC sucks because of the weather for everyone, or tried to make those from Boston, Chicago, etc. where the cold is really bad seem like they were mindless robots for telling me they don't struggle with the cold weather.

I know the reason I respond to these weather posts (and why I believe some others do as well) is that I silently read this forum for a long time before posting here and then ultimately moving to Dallas. I feel that I owe it to people who frequent this board for the purpose of considering moving here to present my viewpoint on what I see as pros and cons of the city. The weather is a big part of the Dallas experience, and I simply want to let folks know that yes, while it gets hot, some people can deal with it. I'm not sure anyone is trying to say the heat here is not that bad, we're just saying that "bad" in this context is an entirely relative term. I don't particularly enjoy a day like today where it's gonna hit 100 and it's muggy because of the cold front that rolled in yesterday, but I am not withering or dying from it. But I don't think you are weird or anything if you find it more difficult to bear.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I don't know how cold it was but what's weird is that I love cold weather and hardly ever turn on my central heat in the winter so therefore, I don't know why the A/C makes me feel so much colder than normal cold weather which is colder than the A/C was. Wow! Now that was a long sentence.
I don't like cold, but I enjoy chilly and brisk (yes, I love the Dallas winters). Maybe because the a/c is a processed, recycled air it doesn't feel as good as a crisp winter day.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:01 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,328,025 times
Speaking of weather, the little storms (nice to get some rain, finally) that came through last night made for a fairly dramatic sunset:

Old 07-31-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphOfTheSprint View Post
Speaking of weather, the little storms (nice to get some rain, finally) that came through last night made for a fairly dramatic sunset:

Last night's sunset was breathtaking. Thanks for the great pic!

Old 07-31-2008, 07:32 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,753,830 times
Yes - that sunset was awesome. Intense orange clouds in the west and blue skies in the west with a perfect color-fade in between.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:25 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Beautiful. Texas has some awesome sunsets and sunrises as well.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:45 PM

339 posts, read 1,435,679 times
What a beautiful picture, TOTS. I complain a lot about this city's weather but goodness do I so love our sunrises/sunsets and our frequently funky, beautiful clouds.

And on Wednesday evening I saw an amazing rainbow after a brief storm. One of the most vivid I've seen in recent memory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas