Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 11:22 AM

473 posts, read 1,568,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
Now... how do we encourage getting a rail station at Knox/Hendersen? It's one of my wife and I's favorite destinations in Dallas - and it's already popular. Providing an alternative way to get to this area would be a big win for Dallas and DART.

Brian
I am sure you are aware that there was initially supposed to be a stop at Knox/Henderson. I believe the space was dug at about the same time they created the space for the CityPlace station. But the powers that be decided they did not want a rail stop there and the plan now sits at the bottom of Dart's 2030 plan if it all.

I am not sure how, or if it would even be possible to get this moved up on the priority list. Most likely not a chance until the current green, orange, and Rowlett extensions are completed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 03:51 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,759,075 times
>> On my way up to the platform, I had a guy ask me for a couple bucks to "buy a bus ticket".<<

If you want to share, I'm curious as to what you did, did you give the guy money for a bus ticket?

I have been approached several times throughout the city Dallas for a "couple of bucks". Evidentally a mom driving a 10 year old mini-van is a good target to ask.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:04 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
>> On my way up to the platform, I had a guy ask me for a couple bucks to "buy a bus ticket".<<

If you want to share, I'm curious as to what you did, did you give the guy money for a bus ticket?

I have been approached several times throughout the city Dallas for a "couple of bucks". Evidentally a mom driving a 10 year old mini-van is a good target to ask.
I said sorry, but I don't hand out money and moved on. He said thanks and moved on himself.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:55 PM

428 posts, read 1,396,026 times
Sounds like a great way to see our city from a different perspective. I have been wanting to go on the TRE but always wonder "what the hell am i gonna do when i get there? Catch a bus?".

I have forced out of town visitors to use the TRE to go to DFW and catch their planes. After they do it, they told me they liked the ride.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:57 PM

6,796 posts, read 14,018,392 times
Quote:
I said sorry, but I don't hand out money and moved on. He said thanks and moved on himself.

I work downtown and thats pretty much how the discussion goes. They seldom even look at you. They typically walk by and ask for money at the sametime without making eye contact. With a simple no they just keep on moving.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:39 PM

983 posts, read 4,441,061 times
Wow really excellent report! See now I have one good BBQ place on my list. Will def hit it up last week of August while I'm there.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:41 AM

16 posts, read 54,528 times
Thumbs down The Metropolitan Dallas joke

Quote:
The Metropolitan seemed nice enough, so I headed in at 11:39am.
I agree, it seems nice enough on the surface. Talk to some owners about their experiences with the developer from DTZ Rockwood.

Quote:
There was a sign that said to go to the West side of the building. I chuckled to myself as I realized that I had no idea which direction I was facing... it would be beneficial to have an arrow directing people.
You must have staggered upon the vacant abandoned sales center on the bottom floor. Quite inviting, huh?

Quote:
The gentleman at the front desk was quite nice.
That's the best feature of the place, nice workers, but it ends there.

Quote:
I was heading up the elevator to the 24th floor to look at the biggest unit... it was quite nice, and at 2101 sq ft, I was a little amazed that it was only a 2br.
Make sure you check out the top floor, 26, to hear the attractive hum coming from the rooftop equipment.

Quote:
Since the price of that unit was well north of half a million, which is way out of my comfort zone, I wanted to look at something that I could afford. They have 2br, 2bath places in the 1100-1379 sq ft range, starting in the $280's, so that seemed more my speed. We headed to the 6th floor. One of the units I looked at was a 1219 sq ft, 2br, 2ba place. While the brochure said the plan "started at $305K", I was a little amazed that the particular unit I saw was listed at $378K due to the upgrades.
Guess what, they aren't selling. After more than a year of the building being open to residents, and even a longer period of time that the units have been for sale, the place isn't even 60% sold.

Quote:
Some things that I had inquired about that were interesting: the building submeters electricity, which means you get commercial rates instead of residential rates (which are roughly 35% lower) and since you only have one or two walls facing the exterior, the utility bills would be substantially lower than a comparably sized single family home.
Okay, I give, actually this is another good feature about the joint, cheap power.

Quote:
The sound proofing appeared to be quite good. The walls between the hallway and the units interior were obviously NOT your standard 2x4 construction - the walls were much thicker - and upon inquiry, the sales person did note that the builder put special focus on soundproofing. The hallways were all VERY quiet.
Hell, the building is almost half empty and you came during the day when everyone was out. The supposed soundproofing is a total joke. You can hear what goes on in the apartments from the hall. In addition, many residents, such as myself, are over being awake until 2 to 3 a.m. by the adjacent open air rooftop club, the Ivy, at 1217 Main. The first party in the building to complain, with a passion, was a real estate broker who resides in the building. Did the Garrison Partners Consulting salesperson mention the documented complaints and citations with regards to this matter? Probably not.

Quote:
At 12:09pm, I left the Metropolitan and headed down the Main Street District.
I hope you ran away very quickly and didn't look back.

The building will probably face one of two paths, apartment rentals or a fire sale. The current individual owners will not have a say in the place (HOA) until the threshold of 75% ownership is met. Good luck in this economy. The money backing the place is Lehman Brothers. Read anything good on them lately? The place is a ghost town.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:41 AM

I take it you didn't like the Metropolitan?

Seriously though - did you buy there and have a bad experience? I'd like to understand your perspective more than a bunch of your concerns.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:07 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Brian and I are on another forum where people who live in The Metropolitan seem pleased with the building.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:38 AM

Exactly. While not everyone will be happy with their condo, I definitely think it's worth listening to the full story of someone that isn't happy. They probably have some valid concerns, but each person's situation and position in life is so drastically different, it is important to take that information and determine if it is relevant or not based on your wants/needs.

The concerns of the outdoor club sound legit enough, but I would think that working the channels through the police to report the noise disturbance would put an end to that pretty quickly if it were coordinated and consistently reported.

Brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas