Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 12:09 PM

549 posts, read 2,194,440 times

Advertisements

I am curious about the cost of living. I realize housing is much cheaper and property taxes for me would be cheaper but I dont think day to day living is cheaper than other markets is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 12:18 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY - Dallas View Post
I am curious about the cost of living. I realize housing is much cheaper and property taxes for me would be cheaper but I dont think day to day living is cheaper than other markets is it?
Maybe grocery wise? Or gas? Right now it is around $2.06. Now that can change minute to minute and w/in a mile. LOL!!! As for groceries: gallon of 2% milk I paid $3.79 at SuperTarget. Loaf of bread, Mrs Baird's (Texas born and bread ) 1.89. Restaurants, dining out maybe? Entertainment wise possibly less expensive.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:20 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb9000 View Post
The cultural differences, stargazer, that you mention sound good to me. If the differences are family values, that is what I'm looking for.
I've lived in South Florida all my life and now that I have a family, I'm tired of my wife having to work 55 hrs. a week and me working about 70 hrs. a week just to get by. The cost of living being cheaper with the pay being about the (according to salary.com) and throw in the family values, I'm in.

However I am a little concerned about some of the things I've read about Texans not welcoming newcomers. My wife is Brazilian and I'm American so that may be a little different for Texas, I'm hoping Texans are welcoming to some diversity.

Don't worry. There are so many people in the Dallas area and in Texas that are not from here that you will be fine. The last census had something that like 1/2 the adult population was NOT born in Texas. Being a native, at times I can be where I'm the stranger. LOL!!! I've been to S. Florida, yes it is MUCH slower here than there. Dallas is "fast paced" for us but it is nothing like S. Floirda. Less congestion for sure.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:27 PM

549 posts, read 2,194,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Maybe grocery wise? Or gas? Right now it is around $2.06. Now that can change minute to minute and w/in a mile. LOL!!! As for groceries: gallon of 2% milk I paid $3.79 at SuperTarget. Loaf of bread, Mrs Baird's (Texas born and bread ) 1.89. Restaurants, dining out maybe? Entertainment wise possibly less expensive.
Gas around me is I think 2.35 so that is a nice difference. I cant remember how much milk costs but I think milk is expensive every where now. I may go to a super market when I visit to compare some items.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:30 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,494 times
My local Tom Thumb had milk on sale last weekend for 2 for $5.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:55 PM

97 posts, read 356,871 times
My dad is African American by way of the carribean. My step-mother is originally from Rice, Texas. After her experiences growing up in the south as a little girl, she wasn't even thinking about coming back to TX. Alot of what happened to her & her family wasn't nice, & she still finds it hard to talk about. They have lived in Seattle, WA FOREVER, & had no intensions of ever moving. But on a trip back to visit some family, my step-mother remembered all the good things that TX had to offer. My father, who had never even been to TX fell in love from just the visit. They have now permanently moved to Ennis. So far their experiences have been good. It does take a little bit to get adjusted. But that would be the same for any place new that you move to. Both my parents are out going & speak to anyone & everyone. I think that makes a difference to. For the most part you attract people with the vibes that you give off. Their neighboors love them. My 4 year old spent the summer last summer with them. The little girl 2 houses down from my parents was so happy to see someone new to play with, that she went right to my parents house to ask if she could play with my daughter. They played together all summer & still are good friends. They even talk on the phone. Can you imagine the conversation of a 4 & 5 year old! It's crazy! One of the reasons I am planning to relocate myself in the this summer.

Anyway, I think that as adults we think too much about what separates us. If a move to Dallas is for you, then you make the best of it. Make it an the experience that you want to have. Again like anything else, it will take a little adjustment period. But remember that each person's outlook on life is different. Take each person's opinion with a grain of salt.

Good luck to you & your plans. I hope everything works out in you & your family's favor.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:58 PM

313 posts, read 1,716,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Don't worry. There are so many people in the Dallas area and in Texas that are not from here that you will be fine. The last census had something that like 1/2 the adult population was NOT born in Texas. Being a native, at times I can be where I'm the stranger. LOL!!! I've been to S. Florida, yes it is MUCH slower here than there. Dallas is "fast paced" for us but it is nothing like S. Floirda. Less congestion for sure.
Mom, how do you think the pace is compared to DC?

Old 01-19-2007, 01:08 PM

11 posts, read 105,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeda View Post
I am hoping to move to Dallas at the beginning of next month.

I am a native Floridian. I live in South Tampa, from St. Petersburg, and went to school in Gainesville. I will miss parts of Florida but I will not miss; the hurricanes, the humidity, the inflated cost of housing, the lack of non-chain restaurants, the lack of public transportation, the lack of a real downtown. I could go on but I am sure you understand where I am going with this. Not all of the Florida cities are lacking but Tampa definitely is.

I find Dallas to be a nice compromise between "big city livin" and the lifesyle that I am used to. Meaning I want the amenities that come with a more urban environment but I don't want the hassles. I am hoping Dallas provides me what I am looking for.
Hey there fellow Gator. I grew up in Orlando and went to UF as well. Moving out to Dallas on Feb 23rd, so if you need any help on finding a place or getting to know Dallas, just let me know. This will be a complete break from everything I know, but I'm looking forward to it and am excited. Been wanting to move to Texas for as long as I can remember!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas