Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 02:20 PM

15 posts, read 49,712 times

Advertisements

In your humble opinion...will the house we just bought in the Shores of Rockwall hold its value? In this crazy market? It has nice wood floors, good location, and reasonable squarefootage. Yet, we have never lived in such a neighborhood and I am having some second thoughts. Does anyone live there? Like it?? We could still back out-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 02:33 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
The Shores has always done fairly well across all price points. I would not hesitate to buy a house in there. We don't live there but many friends do and all of them enjoy it and do not have any plans to move from there. THAT is the kicker to help make an area hold its value - not many people move FROM there. The desireability stays high, not many homes on the market, those that do go up for sale that are taken care of usually are sold quickly, great amenities, close to everything w/o being on top of everything.

If you want to join the club there it seems a lot of people hang out there at the pool and all know each other as well as many taking advantage of the workout facility they have. My kids did the Golf & Tennis camp there and really liked it.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:25 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Rockwall is a community that is growing very quickly and is a very desirable place to live, especially for young families. I'd say you have nothing to worry about!

Old 07-17-2008, 05:10 PM

Thanks sooo much, I feel better already!

Old 07-17-2008, 08:52 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
The shores in general is a very nice area to live in. As far as holding its value, only your Realtor will be able to tell you based on what you are paying for it vs. what it is really worth.

Good luck,

Naima

Old 07-18-2008, 11:03 AM

118 posts, read 597,675 times
I have never been there but we are planning to visit in about two weeks. I have spent countless hours on this forum and I hear a lot about "the Shores". I looked that area up on Google Earth and Realtor.com and it seems like a nice neighborhood.

Coming from Ca., I don't get that backyard alley stuff. Seems like every home I saw had a side yard or back yard alley with a rear-entry garage and very small backyards.

Does anyone know about this? Was that the Shores I was looking at?

Old 07-18-2008, 02:33 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
Yes Chad, that was probably The Shores. The alley entry is a very common thing here. The biggest advantage I see is the clean streets as you drive the neighborhood. Trash pick up is through the alley too so you don't have that unpleasant view of all the trash out especially that you have one for trash and another for recycling and some of us even have 2 of each...

I also agree that it takes away from the backyard... Some streets that back to the lake or golf course, would have a swing entry or front entry garage, but those street are usually developed to be wider than the rest of the neighborhood.

Naima

Old 07-18-2008, 06:32 PM

we are moving from 2.4 acres with big trees. beautiful. But - mowing and watering and raking and pruning and....the list goes on and on. So a small backyard will be o.k. OUr kids are older and don't spend much time there. Plus there is a park near by and of course the golf course/community pool. Any other affirmation on the Shores??? and/or Rockwall??? I am still a bit nervous.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:36 PM

109 posts, read 398,510 times
I don't think you have much to worry about. Rockwall homes seem to hold value. One of the few downsides to The Shores is that it is a bit of a hike from the interstate. I lived on the other side of highway 205 from The Shores and it took me just under 10 minutes to get to the interstate on a good traffic day. Also, The Shores is a LARGE suburban area (lots of homes crammed into a relatively small space). You will have lots of competition from homes very similar to yours if you ever decide to sell. Not to mention competion from the new home market, which never seems to stop in Rockwall. It took me a year to sell my house in Rockwall a year ago, although I did sell it for more than I paid for it. Rockwall is a nice town, but like most other small Texas towns, it is growing fast. It lost its small-town feel years ago.

Overall, I would not feel nervous about your purchase in Rockwall and I couldn't say that about some of its surrounding cities. It is a town where people want to be right now, so that can't be bad when it comes to home value.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:37 PM

3 posts, read 8,714 times
Are you in the New Shores, or the original Shores? The Original Shores is the older part of the development and has trees, larger yards, etc. The original Shores is well thought of and is a desirable neighborhood. Very laid back, pretty and quiet. It's hard to gauge resell right now with the economy the way it is. Anyplace you buy would be hard to turn around and sell right now. So, if it's not mandatory you have to sell in the next few months, just relax and enjoy living in a great place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas