Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 08:41 PM

983 posts, read 4,441,732 times

Advertisements

I have multiple personalities but only one identity... I think

Old 08-05-2008, 08:57 PM

869 posts, read 2,954,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb2522 View Post
No problem, but does that mean you don't want the lottery numbers?
Now that actually made me laugh.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:44 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb2522 View Post
Have to admit this one went right over my head. After googling it, I remember the story, but still don't understand the implication. Not baiting you - what is the relevance?
Schutze (Dallas Observer) is one of our more liberal voices and his son graduated from Woodrow a couple of years ago. Trey and the Dallas Morning New's Rod Dreher (who also lives in East Dallas) are on the conservative side and try to pick fights with him. Collegial journalism?

I find it entertaining - but I think Trey is misguided in turning this into a liberal vs. conservative issue. There are plenty of conservatives here who send their kids to public schools.

Last edited by Lakewooder; 08-06-2008 at 08:55 AM..

Old 08-06-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomInFrisco View Post
Actually, I do try to have thoughtful conversations with friends -- those who live in DISD and those who don't -- about Dallas schools. We talk about the pockets of the district with excellent elementary schools, the risks in general of middle schools everywhere but especially in urban areas, the high schools that are getting good press and those that aren't.

We talk about how much better schools would be if families made a bigger commitment to the schools -- the families who live in the attendance zone but choose private school out of fear and the ones who send their kids to school but aren't involved. (We also talk about the difficulty in deciding if private is best for your child, your family and your budget, no matter where you live.) We talk about how it is scary to make the biggest purchase of your life in an area that may be making a turn for the better -- but also may not.

We share stories of segregation within "desegregated" DISD schools -- stories that date to the early 1980s. We talk about North Dallas elementaries that were closed and then reopened. How Burnet is overcrowded and overburdened but also attracts awesome volunteers. How Cabell has a new principal that seems to be turning things around. About how great it would be to find an affordable house in certain neighborhoods. About how even the most highly rated suburban schools have problems with drugs and sex and other social ills that we want to protect our children from.

I understand Woodrow pride. My dad is a '65 graduate. I understand Lakewood and East Dallas pride. We have friends and colleagues who live there and love it. I don't understand blanket statements toward an entire group of people.
MomInFrisco - I am happy to know you are out there having reasoned conversations and taking up for the better Dallas schools. I think the 'resegregation' within schools has been more of a problem in North Dallas than here (i.e. the Preston Hollow incident - I defended them at first because they had a lot of pictures of white people in their brochures - they really had to prove to the neighborhood that actual white people attended the school - then I found out it went much further).

I do have a problem with people like Trey Garrison who totally dismiss all Dallas schools while never having visited one. I would like to ask him if there was an exemplarly school down the street from you why would you move to Plano? The only reason I can see is race - I would like for him to prove me wrong.

Glad to know your daddy is a Wildcat -- I probably know who he is or know people who know him - we have a monthly happy hour and I have met a lot of great people from the 60s.

Our principal at Woodrow is Ruth Allen Vail (class of 1991) - she is the daughter of Dr. Edward Allen from your father's 1965 class.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:09 AM

636 posts, read 1,916,389 times
And it always comes down to race. Just can't quit throwing that out there, because you know what, if you didn't, it just wouldn't have enough shock value for you.

Guess what, even if it is race, that's ok. Last time I checked, people can live wherever they want to live, and, brace yourself: they don't even have to justify to you why they make their choice!

Old 08-06-2008, 09:28 AM

Well I have seen how some of my friends who are minority have been treated by others who didn't go to diverse schools. Those incidents have been shocking to me.

I'm not saying you are automatically going to be a bigot if you go to one-race school, but if you don't really know others and have friends of different backgrounds how can you really relate that well? It's very easy to see another group as one monolithic stereotype when you aren't looking into individual faces each day. This does not just go for white people.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Well I have seen how some of my friends who are minority have been treated by others who didn't go to diverse schools. Those incidents have been shocking to me.
Unbelievable. So based on your vast experiences of the mistreatment of minorities by those who have gone to less diverse schools, you clearly have the empirical data to make such sweeping conclusions.

I assume in your spare time you are a sociologist who specializes in the relationships of the educational environment to the interaction of whites and minorities? No? Oh well, the fact that you saw someone from a non-diverse school mistreat a minority is enough to make you an expert I suppose. A woman cut me off on the road yesterday, so all women are crappy drivers....

I believe in a previous post you stated that you chose to attend SMU. What was the percentage of minorities compared to those at state universities when you attended?

Old 08-06-2008, 10:02 AM

Very small percentage but my 12 classmates from Woodrow who were with me were diverse. So I met most of the minority students at SMU. That's when my eyes were opened about how awful some people can be to their fellow human beings.

Your strident tone would probably be tempered the first time you heard one of your best friends called a 'n*gger' to his face.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Very small percentage but my 12 classmates from Woodrow who were with me were diverse. So I met most of the minority students at SMU. That's when my eyes were opened about how awful some people can be to their fellow human beings.

Your strident tone would probably be tempered the first time you heard one of your best friends called a 'n*gger' to his face.
Let me tell you something my friend; neither my strident tone nor where I went to school have anything to do with how I feel about someone being called that.

It's real easy to throw out that kind of emotional BS to create a diversion from the subject. I asked a fact based question, and you replied with trash.

You know, for the most part, in the past, you put together relatively coherent arguments. On this one, you are an epic failure. You're grasping at straws. I'll ask you the question that you asked yesterday: you can dish it out, but can you take it? Take it, that is, without creating a strawman to attack.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:37 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Moderator cut: Be civil or this thread will be closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas