Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:57 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_a View Post
Add to this the fact that you encounter people asking "what part of town is best to live in?" then describing themselves and if their ethnicity is included in the description, someone usually points them to the parts of town that have a higher concentration of that ethnicity, and no one calls anyone out on that one either.

I read a post yesterday of a person moving from India that was directed toward an area that had a high concentration of people from India and I immediately thought to myself "I bet that was offensive to the Indian poster." But it was never mentioned in a negative light, so it was ok with the Indian poster, and apparently everyone else that posted. So segregation is still a factor, however now it is voluntary segregation.

Most people tend to migrate to areas primarily populated with their ethnicity voluntarily with a small percentage of deviation.

Call it racism, reverse racism, or total misinformation between ethnicities, but the world is a long way from being an integrated society. The fact that everyone is blatantly aware of, and can point out areas that are primarily populated with each ethnicity is proof.

I guess everyone is willing to mix and mingle to a point, but they find security and comfort around others that share their primary ideals, views, religious outlook, and other aspects which can usually be found most readily in a group with their similar ethinicity. Because in order to integrate fully, everyone would need to loose thieir own views in these areas, and find a happy medium in a combined integrated society, and people usually don't like to give up things they are used to and in this case it would mean loosing part of themselves for the ability to fully "blend" into the general mix. If you stand out, you will be pointed out and people have a problem with that, so they go to where they blend in easier and we are back where we started.

The only problem with this is that "caucasions" are not allowed to openly discuss this and everyone else is. This is todays racism. It is some sort of payback from how "caucasions" treated everyone else in the last centuries.

So, does anyone here see a problem with answering a question from someone who is actually being honest about their desire to live in a location where they will be surrounded by an ethnicity that they are comfortable being around primarily? If you actually have a problem with this, then think about it this way - would you rather have this person living next door to you in your ethnic area, causing whatever problem they might cause as a result of "having" to live among a different ethnicity when what they really wanted was to be around their own ethnicity?

Think about it while you are laughing about your satiric responses among your friends and family who may be looking over your shoulder urging you on, who are probably also your same ethnicity.
Can you explain to me the "caucasian" culture? You know, like you would for Hispanic, AA, Asian or Middle Eastern?

Old 07-20-2008, 09:06 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Actually there was a post last week from a woman looking to find out what AA women did for fun in McKinney. Quite a few of those responses were "um, the same as non-AA women."
<shrug> Most go unquestioned. Listen, I get the fact that "white/caucasian/christian" culture is the default of our culture at large, thus the perceived need by some of those who see themselves as not being of that culture to self identify as a labled or hyphonated minority. But just as I myself not being of the dominant white/christian persuasion prefer to live amongst those who share my own background, others have the same right - even if the are white christians. It doesn't necessarily make them *racist* or bigoted.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:07 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
It doesn't necessarily make them *racist* or bigoted.
Sorry but you can't ignore history. Some people are held to a higher standard. In the US, white people don't have the luxury of racism. Sorry. It is worse for a white person to express wanting to live among whites than a black person wanting to live among blacks. Because of the history of slavery.

Just like I, as an Austrian, am held to a higher standard than a native US citizen when it comes to jewish matters.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:21 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
Sorry but you can't ignore history. Some people are held to a higher standard. In the US, white people don't have the luxury of racism. Sorry. It is worse for a white person to express wanting to live among whites than a black person wanting to live among blacks. Because of the history of slavery.

Just like I, as an Austrian, am held to a higher standard than a native US citizen when it comes to jewish matters.
To hold every white person in America repsonsible for slavery and thus render them completely unable to express any preference in the neighborhood they want to live in is ridiculous on so many levels. Hoe does one define "white?" What if you meet the definition of "white" but your family immigrated here after slavery? What about people whose skin is of a white appearance but they are not caucasian/christian/european etc.?

Your analogy, btw, of comparing your Austrian heritage vis-a-vis the Jews to whites in America is intellectually false. The ugly history of Austria's relationship with the Jews is one based on nationhood. Your guilt is for being Austrian, not White or Christian.

To bring this back around on topic, there is nothing inherently wrong for a white/christian person to desire to live in a Dallas suburb that is predominantly white/christian. It is not wrong to express who a person wants to live with, it is only wrong to express that they don't want to live next to a certain person. There is a difference.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:26 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,171 times
Quote:
Your analogy, btw, of comparing your Austrian heritage vis-a-vis the Jews to whites in America is intellectually false. The ugly history of Austria's relationship with the Jews is one based on nationhood. Your guilt is for being Austrian, not White or Christian.
How is this false? I didn't choose to be born in Austria. That is one fact that I can never change. Just like race. I can renounce my citizenship, yes, but that is pretty much the only intellectually different nuance.

You sure like to spin topics to the extreme.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:51 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzzi22 View Post
I need some suggestions for communities in the metroplex that are mostly middle-class white areas with good schools. I'm from the Northeast and could be making a move there within 2 years.

Also, do any of these towns fit that description:

Haltom City
North Richland Hills
Hurst
Colleyville
Flower Mound
Coppell
Carrollton
Plano
Allen
Oh, I see you wandered over to Dallas to ask your silly question, too. Do you know what demographics are? You found your way to C-D so I'd assume the answer is yes. Rather than stirring the pot, why don't you check out the stats available on this very site or Wikipedia to answer your question?

And please, people, DFTT. It kills me how people get suckered into responding to these types of lazy, asinine posts every time.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:07 AM

216 posts, read 716,138 times
rb4browns

the reason some people find the term "white" disturbing is because historically it suggests superiority and oppression. Now if the original poster had asked for irish american, german, italian neighborhood e.t.c, the reception would have been different i believe.

you are right though. if he/she would rather live in a caucasian neighborhood, i dont think that makes her a racist. The DFW metro is pretty much divided along racial bounderies anyway

Old 07-20-2008, 11:38 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,068,474 times
I don't recall any laws in New York in the 1920's forcing the Irish and Italians and Poles to live in specific neighborhoods. If they did so, it was out of convenience. And familiarity.

I'm glad that Galore brought up the question of Austrian nationality. Let me pose a hypothetical. Should Austrians be allowed to live in Austria? Or should the government of the EU in Brussels decree that the different nationalities in EU countries be mixed from country to country in order to promote a pan-European society. And if you disagree with this policy you be deemed a racist?

Well, Europe is filled with ethnic enclaves, not due to some racial quotas, but simply out of preference. And the history of immigrants in the United States also had ethnic enclaves. But that was 1920. Now in 2008, the old Euro ethnic divisions are a thing of the past, and their peoples have amalgamated into something called "white". But the social forces that have created ethnic enclaves throuout history still work. People still want to be among those they consider similar to themselves.

What would be the alternative? Fixed quotas by neighborhood for the permissible number of South Asians, East Asians, African Americans, white Hispanics, Indian Hispanics, etc?

BTW, is it less upsetting to the politically correct if we say "Euro-American" instead of "White"? After all, the only way that somebody would be deemed a racist in America is if they use the wrong words, or say the wrong things. So you can avoid the stigma of bigotry by an adroit choice of terminology.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:40 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,073 times
Quote:
Funny how nobody calls out AA/latino/asian/Jewish posters when they request to be among people primarily of their ethnic backgrounds. Welcome to 21st century racism, the definition changes indeed.
Oh believe me, when I see a thread where they ask that, I'll call them out. Racism is an evil thing, done by evil people no matter who does it.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:49 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,073 times
Quote:
It is not wrong to express who a person wants to live with, it is only wrong to express that they don't want to live next to a certain person. There is a difference.
See there really isn't. It means exactly the same thing. I don't want to live in a non white area, has no difference in meaning with I want to live in a white area none, I mean the definition is identical.
And I think there is something wrong with wanting only to live with people of the same religion, race, Sexual orientation, etc as ones-self. If not racist, it seems at the very least intensely closed minded.

Now sometimes for various reasons one ends up in a uni-racial community. Where one works etc can cause that, but to use it as a criteria seems to definition of racism. And I would say that no matter what ethnicity is preferred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas