Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 10:01 AM

53 posts, read 102,619 times

Advertisements

I was pretty excited when I thought I have almost pinpointed where we want to relocate our family from Canada. This is ofcourse without actually going there in person yet. Lakewood seemed to have everything I liked. Established neighborhood, diversity, close to a lake, walking trails etc.... Then I looked at the high school designated for that area which happen to be Wilson (Woodrow) I will have 2 sons attending High School, and the ratings are pretty bad actually eventhough it was rated as one of the top schools at one point, I think. I do think it could be because there is a large ESL population in that school now. I would think that has alot to do with the test outcome. It could be a great school, but I have read that they are going to reconstitute that school? Is it really the teachers faults? Now I am not sure where to go, but am not totally ruling out Lakewood based on that factor alone.

Any suggestions of other areas similar to Lakewood with good High Schools?

Thanks for any information!

Last edited by Elizabeth924; 07-20-2008 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: put more in than was comfortable for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 10:27 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,480,689 times
Woodrow is a good school and it is a handful of kids that keep the school from getting a good rating. Your son will most likely be in the more academic classes and that's where all the kids from Lakewood are. There are signs all over - in the yards of million dollar homes - that say Choose Woodrow. They know there school is good and want more of the neighborhood to attend.

Here are some things to read:

Editorial: 'Choose Woodrow' | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Opinion: Editorials (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/opinion/editorials/stories/DN-woodrow_03edi.ART.State.Edition1.46734ce.html - broken link)

Back Talk Lakewood/East Dallas: Why Choose Woodrow?

Unfair Park - Apparently, Some People Still Need to Be Sold on Diversity

Old 07-20-2008, 12:25 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,239,247 times
Woodrow serves a truely diverse population, not just racially, but economically as well. There is everything from students who live in near poverty, to upper middle class. Unfortunately such diversity can be detrimental to a schools rating. There is a direct correlation between school ratings, and the economic status of the students. The wealthier areas, and racially homogenious areas are always ranked high.

The vast majority of teachers work hard and care about their students. Yes there is the occasional bad teacher, but you will never find a school filled with them. Student motivation, and parental involvement has a lot of do with it. If you are already in the area pick up a copy of todays Dallas Morning News. They broke down the TAKS scores by district and there is a wealth of information.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:27 PM

52 posts, read 175,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth924 View Post
Any suggestions of other areas similar to Lakewood with good High Schools?

Thanks for any information!
Lake Highlands is just north of Lakewood (north of White Rock lake) and is in the Richardson ISD.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:29 PM

52 posts, read 175,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
If you are already in the area pick up a copy of todays Dallas Morning News. They broke down the TAKS scores by district and there is a wealth of information.
Article online:
Dallas-Fort Worth students struggle with TAKS' short-response written test | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Latest News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/072008dnmettaksscores.443a381.html - broken link)

Old 07-20-2008, 01:12 PM

23 posts, read 82,285 times
Default Lake Highlands and Lakewood are great.

I've heard that Woodrow Wilson High School is like a tale of two cities. You have a great program for the advanced kids and you have everything else. You do need to see it yourself.

Lake Highlands HS is wonderful. I'd love to move there and live there. LH seems more affordable.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:16 PM

Thanks for the links and the replies. I really appreciate it. Tell me more!

(Figures I'd pick a school with the most controversy) oh well, makes life more interesting.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:31 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,745,552 times
I'm not a big fan of DISD, but Woodrow Wilson and the Lakewood area are definitely not the same as the rest of the district. I've got friends with kids at that school and they are thrilled with the education the kids are getting.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:08 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,745,552 times
Dallas Independent School District. All of our public school districts around here are ISDs. DISD covers the vast majority of Dallas city. Other cities will have their own or will share with a neighbor (Lake Highlands is part of Dallas but in Richardson ISD, Garland ISD includes Rowlett and Sachse).

There are plenty of private schools around and the suburban school districts are all pretty good. There might be a school or two that needs work but those are easy enough to find out about.

Dallas ISD is an urban district. It is also heavily low income and filled with non-English speaking kids and their parents. And seems to have a high number of people who bounce their kids from school to school as they move around the district.

DISD has had some really poor Superintendents in the past (think FBI involvement), although the current guy seems to be doing a better job. But there's been financial mismanagement like crazy, lack of appropriate facilities management, teacher burnout due to lack of support. And a serious lack of parental involvement at many of the schools.

Woodrow really seems to fit in better with the suburban districts as far as feel. Good teachers, parental involvement, strong sense of community support, etc. NCLB has screwed it though as far as ratings. But that's tangent for another day.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:45 PM

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas