Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 10:56 AM

468 posts, read 1,887,072 times

Advertisements

A lot of people say they're moving to Dallas for a new job but in actuality, the job is in Los Colinas in Irving or the Telecom Corridor in Richardson or possibly with one of the biggies on Legacy drive (EDS, JCP, etc..) in west Plano. I'm a big believer in being not more than 15 minutes from the work place considering the cost of gas and the traffic around here. So as a different post said, "Dallas is sprawled out", so there are many variables. However, each area has much to offer in the things you mentioned you are interested in. It's good you're doing a little research. I don't know if you have mentioned it or not, but what area of "Dallas" is the job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 04:33 PM

7 posts, read 19,724 times
Thanks everyone. I will be down next week to check it out.
I actual will have an option to office in Farmers Branch, Uptown Dallas, or Plano I believe.
I do consulting work so travel is going to happen regardless.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:45 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingFromTexas View Post
In the summer, its close to or above 100 degrees everyday (starts in April, ends in October) so NO ONE is outside during those months.
I guess the 10 or so cyclists that I passed on my 20 minute bicycle ride on White Rock Trail this afternoon were ghosts.
100F in April. LOL. April has typically perfect upper 70s to lower 80s. + lots of sunshine.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:54 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHomer View Post
Thanks everyone. I will be down next week to check it out.
I actual will have an option to office in Farmers Branch, Uptown Dallas, or Plano I believe.
I do consulting work so travel is going to happen regardless.
Definitely office and live in Uptown

Old 07-22-2008, 09:40 PM

27 posts, read 157,349 times
You all can be as defensive of Dallas as you want to be. Happily, we have the means and the opportunity to move and will be doing so next month. Interestingly enough, everyone we have spoken to (in person) about our move has told us how jealous they are but that the low cost of living or family connections keep them here. We ARE outside all the time - our neighborhood park is a ghost town - my kids are shocked and thrilled if there is ONE other kid there. It doesn't matter what day of the week or what time of day we go, its empty. We are regulars at the zoo - during the week, its generally deserted as well. The Nasher sculpture center - even on free family day - is hardly filled to capacity. And, I know so many native Dallasites who had their early "starter marriage" and have moved on by their mid-twenties. But, maybe you all live in a different Dallas than the one we've lived in for the past 7 years.

We were given the same cautions I gave the original poster and ignored the advice in favor of hearing what we wanted to hear: how great Dallas is, how much there really is to do, how affordable and easy everything is. I just wanted to give the OP a heads up that he should dig a lot deeper than he seems to be doing - ask your new coworkers what they do after work or on the weekends. Actually talk with real people and real organizations yourself to make sure that this is what you are looking for. Don't just rely on postings on an internet board to get your advice.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:43 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
Quote:
You all can be as defensive of Dallas as you want to be. Happily, we have the means and the opportunity to move and will be doing so next month. Interestingly enough, everyone we have spoken to (in person) about our move has told us how jealous they are but that the low cost of living or family connections keep them here. We ARE outside all the time - our neighborhood park is a ghost town - my kids are shocked and thrilled if there is ONE other kid there. It doesn't matter what day of the week or what time of day we go, its empty. We are regulars at the zoo - during the week, its generally deserted as well. The Nasher sculpture center - even on free family day - is hardly filled to capacity. And, I know so many native Dallasites who had their early "starter marriage" and have moved on by their mid-twenties. But, maybe you all live in a different Dallas than the one we've lived in for the past 7 years.

We were given the same cautions I gave the original poster and ignored the advice in favor of hearing what we wanted to hear: how great Dallas is, how much there really is to do, how affordable and easy everything is. I just wanted to give the OP a heads up that he should dig a lot deeper than he seems to be doing - ask your new coworkers what they do after work or on the weekends. Actually talk with real people and real organizations yourself to make sure that this is what you are looking for. Don't just rely on postings on an internet board to get your advice.
Out of curiosity, what part of town were you living in and where are you moving?

Old 07-23-2008, 01:21 AM

983 posts, read 4,442,256 times
Why is everyone always ragging on Dallas weather? Does anyone remember that it has been a heatwave a few times in the North East? As recent as last summer.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:38 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,171 times
Quote:
We ARE outside all the time - our neighborhood park is a ghost town - my kids are shocked and thrilled if there is ONE other kid there. It doesn't matter what day of the week or what time of day we go, its empty.
Sounds like suburb syndrome. Very low housing density = ghost town feel. This is not limited to DFW.

Quote:
We are regulars at the zoo - during the week, its generally deserted as well. The Nasher sculpture center - even on free family day - is hardly filled to capacity.
You choose fringe attractions. If you want packed, visit Six Flags.
Or go to the Shops @ Legacy, West Village, Mockingbird Station, Firewheel, White Rock Lake in the mornings, Katy trail, an Apple shop the days after an iPhone launch...

Quote:
We were given the same cautions I gave the original poster and ignored the advice in favor of hearing what we wanted to hear: how great Dallas is, how much there really is to do, how affordable and easy everything is. I just wanted to give the OP a heads up that he should dig a lot deeper than he seems to be doing
But do you follow your own advice? Digging deeper means putting some effort into it. Dallas is not a place with obvious attractions.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:57 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,068,474 times
Quote:
Dallas has far more things to do than you'll find in a metro of 2 or 3 million, simply because of its larger population. More people = more diversity of activity.

I think this poster looks at crowding as an asset. It's not, actually. If the parks in a particular metro are crowded, that means there is a shortage of them, less park space for a given population.

DFW at 6 million plus is able to generate that many more zoos and aquariums, more art museums, more state parks in the immediate vicinity, a larger diversity of films and road shows and concerts and theater. A vastly larger choice of restaurants.

I'd agree with the other posters who think that this attitude is unreasonable. Perhaps the poster's disaffection for the area is for other reasons than stated? But the important point is that no place is perfect, there will always be some disgruntled people who dislike a place, for one personal reason or another.

Last edited by aceplace; 07-23-2008 at 08:15 AM..

Old 07-23-2008, 11:19 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
I guess the 10 or so cyclists that I passed on my 20 minute bicycle ride on White Rock Trail this afternoon were ghosts.
100F in April. LOL. April has typically perfect upper 70s to lower 80s. + lots of sunshine.

Monday I ran into (not literally) a pack of 30-40 cyclists coming from the lake on Trammel crossing Abrams to University.

I drive by Tietze Park every day - in the mornings there are a lot of people playing tennis and there's a standing pick-up basketball game so many go before work. And many jogging-the pool opens a bit later. In the late afternoon the park is packed. There's baseball or softball in addition to the other activities, many people out walking, walking dogs, etc. I also cross Swiss Avenue and you have to wait to let the walkers and joggers go by.. On my block I see people walking all the time. You really can't look out the window without seeing someone.

People are already using the Santa Fe Trail from Tenison Golf Course and Lakewood Country Club going to Deep Ellum - and it's not even finished! Adjoining Randall Park and the track at Woodrow are also busy.

Of course you can walk to many places around here - including many stores, restaurants, Lakewood Theater and Library etc. According to the walkalibity website posted here recently they are .38 miles from my address.

I'm betting the "moving" poster lives in some-far flung place - probably with few trees.

Last edited by Lakewooder; 07-23-2008 at 11:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas