Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 01:21 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,608,278 times

Advertisements

Big surprise huh? July in Dallas?

Seriously though, I have to wonder it people are just too acclimated to living indoors with climate control. Each time it starts to climb to 100, I hear people constantly complaining about it being hot. Have we become creatures of comfort so much that common weather conditions are a source of major irritation?

My wife's Honda lost the A/C a week ago. I let her use my car since she dresses professional with makeup and all, while I get to where shorts and a polo. Everyone thinks I have it so rough not having A/C. But really, I've found it quiet an interesting situation, thinking about how 100 years ago no one would have whined much because there were no A/C's anywhere.

Anywho, it will be hot at least another 4-8 weeks, just like every summer here, and all across the southern half of the US. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 01:33 PM

468 posts, read 1,883,057 times
Awh shucks. I was just beginning to turn on the stove to cool it off in here!

Does make me wonder how we managed just a few decades ago. I didn't have a/c at home until after I left home & high school back in 71. My senior year we got to watch the workers install the duct work for the new a/c for the next school year.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:36 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,579,828 times
Massive population growth didn't really happen in areas like this until the advent of air conditioning. I personally think Dallas wouldn't be having the growth it does today if air conditioning didn't exist.

Brian

Old 07-22-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
Massive population growth didn't really happen in areas like this until the advent of air conditioning. I personally think Dallas wouldn't be having the growth it does today if air conditioning didn't exist.

Brian

Maybe, maybe not. Keep in mind though that much of the east coast which was very populated in colonial times has some pretty sultry, hot summers. As a native of south Mississippi, I'll take hot and dry over hot and humid most any day. Both are hot, but its nice when your sweat can actually evaporate.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:00 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,898,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Maybe, maybe not. Keep in mind though that much of the east coast which was very populated in colonial times has some pretty sultry, hot summers. As a native of south Mississippi, I'll take hot and dry over hot and humid most any day. Both are hot, but its nice when your sweat can actually evaporate.
It is hot occasionally on the east coast, not for months at a time.

When we moved to Dallas in the fifties (I was in grade school) I remember laying in bed sweating with the fan going not being able to sleep. My mother and father discussed either getting a place with AC or moving back to NYC.

I lived most of my life in Dallas and still have family and property in the area, but once free of to move I did. I am much happier with the weather now that I am in the PNW.

I think lh_newbie is right... without cheap AC the area would not have grown at the rate it has.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:05 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,075,802 times
OK cdelena don't gloat on us. I grew up without AC in school until high school, so I know what you mean (hey and this was not ancient times - many schools didn't get AC until years after a 1971 bond program). I remember the fans lulling us to sleep after lunch period.

So we shall all be visiting you in August!

Old 07-22-2008, 03:59 PM

468 posts, read 1,883,057 times
It's all relative. I have a friend in Milwaukee who in January is complaining about the fact his entire front yard is a 8' mound of snow, thanks to the snow plows. He fussed because had to dig out snow from around his garage door to get his car out. If the Yankees aren't complaining about the heat, they're complaining about the snow back home. I think I'll have a Margaretta tonight.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:05 PM

This is perfect frozen margarita weather. Thank you Mariano! http://www.marianosrestaurant.com/Margarita_Machine.pdf

Old 07-22-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
It is hot occasionally on the east coast, not for months at a time.

When we moved to Dallas in the fifties (I was in grade school) I remember laying in bed sweating with the fan going not being able to sleep. My mother and father discussed either getting a place with AC or moving back to NYC.

I lived most of my life in Dallas and still have family and property in the area, but once free of to move I did. I am much happier with the weather now that I am in the PNW.

I think lh_newbie is right... without cheap AC the area would not have grown at the rate it has.
I guess I should have been more specific with the east coast mention. The northern half isn't too bad overall, with breaks from the heat from time to time. But Florida and the Carolinas can be hot for several months, just depending on how close to the coast you are.

And for that matter, NOLA is one of the oldest settlements in the entire south, and they have EXTREMELY hot and muggy conditions for months on end. I'll take 103 with 35%humidity over 94 and 80% humidity anytime.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:25 PM

Good line from local boy Bill Paxton in Aliens (1986) :

http://www.moviesoundclips.net/movies1/aliens/heat.wav
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas