Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2007, 12:39 PM
BDD BDD started this thread

3 posts, read 18,624 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocating to Texas and one of the places that really strikes me is Forney. I looked up their school info on bestschools.net and was pleased with the info on there. The homes are very affordable (I visited this past weekend). I notice there is not a lot of shopping/amenities out there, but they do have plans of growing.

I would appreciate any and all information about Forney that any one can share with me!! My husband works in the automotive business and I noticed there are quite a lot of dealerships in the Mesquite area.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 03:51 PM

92 posts, read 761,486 times
I have friends that live there and they are very happy with the schools. It's a growing community and gowing through typical growing pains!

Old 01-24-2007, 10:34 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
Forney is a bit of a slow growing town to the east of the metroplex. Best known for decades as the place to go shopping for "antiques". You will see lots of places along the highway selling furniture and "antiques". You can find homes on acreage or some acreage to build a home in or around Forney. A few small developments have gone up in the last few years. I know people that grew up there and some that are wanting to move out there to "get away" from the heavy population of the Dallas metroplex. LOL!!! I only see that lasting a few years if the area keeps growing like it has.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:43 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,947 times
Forney is in the Forney Independent School District.

All of the kids in the FISD schools have to wear uniforms. Even kids who get TEA exemptions still have a strict dress code.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 12,316 times
Exclamation Forney

I have lived in Forney my whole life. It used to be such a small town. I loved it. However, it is NOT slow growing at all. In 2000 we had a population of a little over 5000 in 2005 there was over 10000. All we used to have was a Dairy Queen and a McDonalds. In the past year we have gotten a WalMart, Auto Zone, Starbucks, Cold Stone, Chilies, Waterburger, 3 Sonic's, 3 Subways, a Lows, Wing Stop, Sports Bar, Capital One, Chase Banking, 4 new shopping centers, and a lot more. 3 years ago there were only a Forney Primary School, Forney Intermediate School, Forney Middle School, and Forney high School. Now it's redicuolus. We have 7 elementary schools which is stupid. 2 Middle schools, and they are making the 2nd High School. The way they are going about this used to be small town is stupid. Moderator cut: personal attack The whole town is poitical. There are people on the Board that don't care about the city. They just want to make themselves look good.

Last edited by GoPadge; 06-28-2007 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: Personal attacks violate the Terms of Service.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:34 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,458,087 times
I know several people who either grew up there before it started booming or moved there recently as part of the boom and they all like Forney a lot. Very happy there.

It will be interesting to see what happens to it when it adds a second high school. I thought they voted that down a couple of times at first. It is a big deal to go from being a one high school town to more than one. One high school towns tend to have a great sense of community about them. Football coaches like to work in one high school towns. It'll be interesting to see how Forney handles it.

There is a subdivision out there - Windmill Farms - that has gotten a lot of bad press. I'm not sure the issues, but it's something against the builder I believe. The homeowners picket and post signs and they are on the news sometimes.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:20 PM

2 posts, read 27,614 times
In the process of moving to the Forney area from Kansas. Just purchased a 3year old, nearly 4000 sq ft home on 2 acres for a very reasonable amount.

The town of Forney is growing rapidly but the real growth is in the unincorporated areas that lie within the Forney ISD. The Dallas Morning News recently called it the 4th fastest growing school district in Texas. I believe it's growing by nearly 20% annually. There are large new residential developments going up all over the area and nearly every week there's an announcement of new retail coming in. A private appraiser told me this past week that a new mall anchored by a Super Target was going in just south of I-20 on FM 1641 across from the Winner's Circle Subdivision. I quizzed him as I'd heard both yes and no on the Super Target, he claims it as now a certainty. We'll see.

Traffic at certain times on roads like 1641 heading north to the Mustang Crossing Mall is congested. They're supposed to spend about $50mm over the next several years upgrading some of those primary arteries. Just the growing pains I guess you'd expect in an area that has just recently begun exploding.

Everyone that I've talked to seems to love the schools, although I know going to a 2 HS town has been a very contentious issue (it'll no longer be just the Forney Jackrabbits). It seems the schools and the area in general is very family friendly with still a rural atmosphere (although the rural part is changing).

Crandall and Combine just a little further to the south is also a very nice area which has even more of a rural flavor (the growth really hasn't hit there yet). Again, a very good school district but just a little more removed.

I guess I'll have more of a feel after I've gone through a school year and had more time to acclimate. But at this point I really like the area. I just hope they're able to control the growth in such a fashion that the overall flavor and appeal of the community isn't threatened.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:24 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
one nice thing about that area is that it is fairly close to cedar creek lake for driving back and forth on weekends...

Old 05-11-2011, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 9,362 times
i live in windmill farms in forney, and have been for about 10 years. this is the best community you can live in because there are 2 pools, 5 parks(scattered), fields for kids to play in, and the windmill farms area is very peaceful, and kid friendly. there is 2 elementry schools, 1 junior high which have the greatest teachers ever. my kids come home with a's and b's never had not 1 c. there is one problem though there are only a few fights every once in a blue moon but thats been going down because they have been sent to iss. so if you came to live in forney, windmill farms would be your best bet. because when my child went to warren there were fights every day. Thank you for taking your time to read this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: