Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:04 AM

1,533 posts, read 7,239,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
OH WELL!!!! I prefer NorthPark anyway!
Alcohol and shopping go great together! I think you gotta have a few drinks in you to deal with some of the prices at Northpark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 10:36 AM

430 posts, read 1,358,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
That's really sad especially if you work there and had no clue. This economy is just doing a number on everyone. I saw where Shoe Pavillion filed for Chapt 11 protection. Starbucks closing 600 stores. But it's the small businessman/woman that we don't hear anything about.
I remember Bennigans from years ago too but just wasn't anywhere that stood out for me.
Starbucks went on a limb and the fun began.

The economy grew by 1.9 % last quarter. Sounds like the Great Depression to me!

Old 07-31-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnetx View Post
Starbucks went on a limb and the fun began.

The economy grew by 1.9 % last quarter. Sounds like the Great Depression to me!

Starbucks over saturated the market. Two three years back, they made some grand plans to build like 1000 more stores in a short period. Even at that time there were a few too many. There are three at Firewheel Mall, one of which will be closing. I believe there are two at Northpark, one of which will also be closing.

The economy certainly seems to be taking a nose dive, but we aren't at a depression yet.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:38 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
Starbucks over saturated the market. Two three years back, they made some grand plans to build like 1000 more stores in a short period. Even at that time there were a few too many. There are three at Firewheel Mall, one of which will be closing. I believe there are two at Northpark, one of which will also be closing.
There is a new one though coming up close by though. Tom Thumb recently remodeled (BEAUTIFUL INSIDE and VERY NICE) and now has a Starbucks. Well, it was not open as of Tuesday but I'm sure it will be soon from the looks of it.

I agree they oversaturated the market. As Leno joked, when you put one on the second floor above an existing one......... lol. Of the 3 at the mall the one inside Barnes & Noble does not accept Starbucks gift cards . I would have thought they would close the one on the outside of the mall by 78?????

You know the only way they could survive in some markets for the entire year is by coming up w/ frozen or chilled drinks. Yet there are people that drink coffee no matter how hot it is. It blew my mind last week to see so many people ON THE BEACH with a Dunkin Donuts coffee cup in their hands. YUCK!

Old 07-31-2008, 01:07 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I agree they oversaturated the market. As Leno joked, when you put one on the second floor above an existing one......... lol.
At the corner of Coit and campbell by my parents house there are

1:The Northwest Corner Inside Target
2: The Northeast Corner Inside Tom Thumb
3: The Southeast Corner (free standing)

And NONE are slated to close

Old 07-31-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
At the corner of Coit and campbell by my parents house there are

1:The Northwest Corner Inside Target
2: The Northeast Corner Inside Tom Thumb
3: The Southeast Corner (free standing)

And NONE are slated to close
Starbucks claims they do this because they want it to be convenient, but how lazy is society when these places are on top of each other.

Firewheel had a freestanding near the center of the mall, one inside Barnes and Noble, then a third in a strip center next to the mall.

There is a Super Target on 190 and N. Garland Ave. that has a Starbucks inside, then there is a fee standing one almost in the parking lot.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:20 PM

670 posts, read 2,998,816 times
Quote:
There is a Super Target on 190 and N. Garland Ave. that has a Starbucks inside, then there is a fee standing one almost in the parking lot.
Wow. I have seen examples like that before too and I wondered what Starbuck's strategy was...apparently not a good one

Old 07-31-2008, 02:44 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA_Mom View Post
Wow. I have seen examples like that before too and I wondered what Starbuck's strategy was...apparently not a good one
The one Mary is referring to I'm VERY familiar with since I seem to be at that Target at least 3x's a week. The Starbucks inside Target is REALLY busy during the colder months for the mom's shopping w/ lil ones in tow. The one in the parking lot in the small strip center seems to have more business ALL THE TIME. I'd think they could do away w/ the one inside Target IF the one in the parking lot was a drive-thru but it is not. I'd think that being a drive-thru would create MORE business no matter the location period. However, I can see moms that have their hands full w/ little ones not wanting to carry a cup of hot coffee in addition to a baby carrier calling for the one inside the store. Just wish they would add shots to their drinks especially for those of us shopping

Old 07-31-2008, 03:10 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,628,534 times
Quote:
Alcohol and shopping go great together! I think you gotta have a few drinks in you to deal with some of the prices at Northpark.
Aint that the truth!!!

Old 07-31-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
Aint that the truth!!!
Just for fun I went in Barneys about a year and a half ago. They had sweaters emblazoned with pot leafs and skulls selling for like $3k. The price was a bit shocking, but it was more the fact that it was attached to such a hideous garment that made it bad. I guess I would expect something a little more classy looking for that price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: