Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 11:20 PM

3 posts, read 19,484 times

Advertisements

So this spring I end my basics and plan on heading to a four year university. I really don't have one on mind that I really want to head to, but I have a few I'm considering. And I was just wondering which colleges are more liberal leaning and which are more conservative.

I'm a liberal and just really don't want to go somewhere where everyone is a Bush supporter, or has same ideologies as that Westboro Baptist Church.

Can anyone please tell me of colleges that lean more left than right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 03:33 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,866,277 times
Need more info. Are you talking about schools in the Dallas FW metro, texas or united states? What is your budget?

From my experience, only small schools will have a dominate liberal/conservative student population. The larger schools with 20k+ students has just about a little bit of everything! lol.

I wouldn't base your college choice on liberal/conservative. You should base it on school reputation, what you are going to study and what you can afford.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:27 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,629,228 times
You'll need to attend Westboro Baptist Church to be around people with that mentality, they are truly one of a kind, thankfully.

IMO though, plenty of colleges tend to lean slightly more liberal than conservative unless like the above poster mentioned, its a small school. So you shouldn't have a hard time finding one where you feel comfortable.

I would prefer a college that gives liberals and conservatives the middle finger and focuses on learning rather than agendas, but alas, we live in America where partisanship is sewn into the fabric of our society.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:20 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post

I would prefer a college that gives liberals and conservatives the middle finger and focuses on learning rather than agendas, but alas, we live in America where partisanship is sewn into the fabric of our society.
As an independent, I second the motion!

Unfortunately, almost all universities have a strong liberal bent.

There are many stories out there of conservative students who feel persecuted by their professors for their beliefs. As a liberal student, I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:41 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
As an independent, I second the motion!

Unfortunately, almost all universities have a strong liberal bent.

There are many stories out there of conservative students who feel persecuted by their professors for their beliefs. As a liberal student, I really don't think you have anything to worry about.
I can remember a government 101 professor beginning our first class discussing supply side economics including the phrase "it is now universally known and believed that Reagonomics was a disastrous failure." Ummmm what? Regardless of your personal beliefs that is just a demonstrably false statement. The problem isn't liberal professors. It's liberal professors who teach opinion as fact. I've had very liberal teachers who relish a good argument, Those you learn from. The other type just makes you want to commit murder

Old 07-31-2008, 08:16 AM

473 posts, read 1,568,579 times
IMO I think you will find that even the colleges with the most liberal or conservative reputations as a whole tend to have varying enclaves within the university. I think it breaks down more by department than the university as a whole. As a general rule, History, Political Science, English, Philosophy, and Sociology are going to lean to the left. Business, Medicine, Criminal Justice, Engineering, and Computer Science will tend to be more middle of the road or lean to the right.

Personally, I lean heavily to the left, but some of the most engaging classes I took in college were from a very conservative professor. He wasn't teaching his opinion, but he approached the material from a different perspective or point of view than some of the more traditional liberal professors that I pretty much agreed with on every issue. The point being it is college and challenging yourself and your ideas, assumptions, presuppositions, and biases is the most rewarding part of an education.

You might even come to respect certain aspects of the other side.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:59 AM

1,533 posts, read 7,239,812 times
I think there are far more colleges and universities that are left leaning than ones that lean to the right. The learning atmosphere should be unbiased, unfortunately many times it is not. I had an English professor who wasted over half the semester turning the class into a discussion about race. Sure it was an easy A, but the curriculum was way off.

There was another professor at my college who did nothing but Bush bash and would fail anyone who disagreed with him. I don't think bush is the greatest man alive, but it is wrong to fail students for having an opinion. even if the said professor was teaching current events it would be important to focus on multiple issues.

Take SMU for example, it's the top name school in Dallas. They have mostly liberal professors, and conservative students

Old 07-31-2008, 09:15 AM

6,820 posts, read 14,032,189 times
I think most professors would be considered liberal. The larger the university you attend the more likely you will get a moderate enviroment.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:33 AM

430 posts, read 1,359,095 times
There is no such Liberal/Conservative distinction in Math or Physics or Chemistry.

So my guess is you are looking for a Liberal Arts Education.

I am not religious, but we can all learn from Daniel and the Lions. We can all sit around and play pattycake or we can step into the arena and live life.

Here is what seeking differences will get you:

1. You will learn more about your own views and you will learn more from professors who have views that oppose your own.

2. You will also come to respect the opposite viewpoint even if you do not agree with it. You will see commonalities in viewpoints even though there are differences.

3. You will learn to think in a reference frame that maybe false, but which is nevertheless held by others, and you will learn to work with the holders of same, which is the real world.

4. You will see how others behold you and you will learn to thrive in a diverse group.

5. Most importantly - you will start to see beyond politics, which change, and see peoples' characters, which are more important.

There is a lot of lip service about diversity today, but true diversity begins with accepting opposing ideas and lifestyles, not just skin color or gender preference, which are things that are innate, not learned or freely chosen.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:34 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,460,240 times
Go to Texas A&M University in College Station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas