U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 01:25 AM

200 posts, read 845,481 times

Advertisements

Hi and thanks in advance for your comments. I will be working on Legacy in Plano and want to purchase a home around 2200-2600 sq ft single level. I love trees and big yard for a pool. My price is up to 200,000. migt could push a little. Where should I look to have less traffic in the morning and evening. Also any ideas of commute time from those suggested cities to Plano.

No kids in school, and really do not care for the little darlings (no offense) so perhaps areas with less kids would be ok. I have raised mine and do not want to have to back out of my garage watching for bikes etc constantly. I do not mind older homes if they are in a safe area since I will be a single lady living there.

I do not want in a high foreclosure area or does Dallas have foreclosures yet? So areas to avoid please also.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 08:55 AM

6,759 posts, read 10,846,220 times
Not sure how far you are willing to drive, but Fairview is very nice and homes there typically have yards 1/2 an acre or larger with a lot more trees than neighboring suburbs. Its just east of I-75 near Allen. I guess it would depend on if you are closer to the Tollway or 75.

As far as big yards and big trees really close to Legacy and the Tollway, I'm not sure you'll find a lot. Most of the communities aren't very old and the trees are usually sparse and short. Willow Bend is an exception, although it is pretty pricey. Willow Bend is generally defined as being between Preston and the Tollway, and north of Plano Pkwy/south of Spring Creek. Lots of trees and larger lots, but again, pricey.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:57 AM

430 posts, read 1,262,076 times
I doubt if you will find the trees you want at that price, but you can look along US HWY 380 E and W of the Tollway.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:47 PM

6,759 posts, read 10,846,220 times
Depending on HOA rules, you can have very large live trees put in. Not cheap, but an alternative to waiting several years for trees to mature.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:52 PM

7,377 posts, read 11,691,868 times
TXboomerang - Fan of OfficeSpace I take it?

BEVH - Legacy is a rather long thoroughfare. Whereabouts on Legacy will you be working? Closer to 75 & Legacy or Legacy & the Dallas North Tollway?

Old 08-01-2008, 01:03 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,294,320 times
Default Re:

You won't be able to find a totally child-free neighborhood, but a lot of the 70s neighborhoods in Plano have a good share of empty-nesters. Look between Coit and Custer, particularly south of Spring Creek. You can find a lot of single-story houses under $200K in safe neighborhoods. You won't get a huge lot, but you will have mature trees. There are some very nice 1-story houses along the creek in that area.

This would be a 10-15 min. commute from JCP, EDS, Dr. Pepper, etc. on Legacy.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:10 PM

1,283 posts, read 3,233,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
You won't be able to find a totally child-free neighborhood, but a lot of the 70s neighborhoods in Plano have a good share of empty-nesters. Look between Coit and Custer, particularly south of Spring Creek. You can find a lot of single-story houses under $200K in safe neighborhoods. You won't get a huge lot, but you will have mature trees. There are some very nice 1-story houses along the creek in that area.

I live in this area...and it would give you what you are looking for. We bought our house at 190K, it is 2460 sq ft, built 1979. We have two massive trees in the front (twice the height of our home) and most every house in the neighborhood has at least one (and usually more) huge tree as well. We have an elementary school in our neighborhood, so probably slightly more young kids then other neighborhoods in the area...but still less kids overall then newer neighborhoods I think. I'd say 2/3 to 3/4 of the houses are single story (unlike in newer neighborhoods...where one stories can be rare). Houses may need some cosmetic updating...but many are selling at great prices with updates already done. I disagree with the small lot statement above...we have a larger yard (and so do our neighbors) then most of our friends in newer Plano homes...of course, maybe that's because houses, at 4000+ sq ft, take up the whole lot anyway... !!! Fast commute...15 minutes to Legacy from my house, and that's with traffic! DM me if you want specific neighborhoods to look into

ETA: oh and safe safe safe...I walk for exercise around my neighborhood after dark on a regular basis...no worries!! Also, I shop (grocery etc) in the evening/night, and never feel unsafe at all.

ANd NO foreclosures...I've only seen that in north & west Plano. (I am considered central)

Old 08-01-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post

This is the area I would be working the 15 min commute. Is it near the tollwayor 75. Unclear on location. One of the companies you mentioned is where I am interviewing.

Thanks

Old 08-01-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Depending on HOA rules, you can have very large live trees put in. Not cheap, but an alternative to waiting several years for trees to mature.
What do you think a planted large tree would set me back. I am clueless about this area.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:45 AM

4,192 posts, read 14,074,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
I live in this area...and it would give you what you are looking for. We bought our house at 190K, it is 2460 sq ft, built 1979. We have two massive trees in the front (twice the height of our home) and most every house in the neighborhood has at least one (and usually more) huge tree as well. We have an elementary school in our neighborhood, so probably slightly more young kids then other neighborhoods in the area...but still less kids overall then newer neighborhoods I think. I'd say 2/3 to 3/4 of the houses are single story (unlike in newer neighborhoods...where one stories can be rare). Houses may need some cosmetic updating...but many are selling at great prices with updates already done. I disagree with the small lot statement above...we have a larger yard (and so do our neighbors) then most of our friends in newer Plano homes...of course, maybe that's because houses, at 4000+ sq ft, take up the whole lot anyway... !!! Fast commute...15 minutes to Legacy from my house, and that's with traffic! DM me if you want specific neighborhoods to look into

ETA: oh and safe safe safe...I walk for exercise around my neighborhood after dark on a regular basis...no worries!! Also, I shop (grocery etc) in the evening/night, and never feel unsafe at all.

ANd NO foreclosures...I've only seen that in north & west Plano. (I am considered central)
I agree that central Plano would give you a lot to choose from. There are some very nice established (not cookie cutter) neighborhoods close to the bush turnpike aka 190 just north of Plano Parkway between 75 and The Tollway. Most of them would have lots of trees, have some elbow room between neighbors and are a little older built in the 70s and 80s. Most of these neighborhoods are very well kept and the owners update their homes.

A little further drive to the east side of Plano by the Los Rios area there are some pockets that are very nice as well..

Naima
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: