Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 03:10 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
:d
- I love Friday's and people that know how to have fun.

I was having convulsions thinking of the commute from Rowlett to the OP's husbands work area. YIKES! That would be enough to make me go nuts. I'd HAVE to find that drive-thru margarita place if it does indeed exist.

Getting to downtown Dallas from there is MUCH better though. Many friends do that one and it is not bad at all. As long as you live close to I-30 and don't have to deal w/ any of the roads that are torn up and have been for over a year, lol. Rockwall would be a PITA as well since you would either have to go THRU Rowlett, Garland and Richardson. Or take I-30 around to LBJ to 75 or Dallas North Tollway. I could not do that one either. shivers.... as I look for my margarita.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 03:16 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
Well, since 75254 is in Far North Dallas, you might consider it. Lake Highlands would be too far and the opposite of small town feel. You are already going to be north of 635, I would just keep looking north - Plano, Frisco, Prosper - straight up the tollway.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:23 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Well, since 75254 is in Far North Dallas, you might consider it. Lake Highlands would be too far and the opposite of small town feel. You are already going to be north of 635, I would just keep looking north - Plano, Frisco, Prosper - straight up the tollway.
I guess I never considered that area "Far North Dallas". If he is working right around Spring Valley & Coit it would be a REAL easy commute from the Lake Highlands area or "North" Dallas. Depending on which area in both zones it could be an easy 15 minute drive. It could easily take an hour to get to Frisco. I don't even want to think about commuting to Prosper (guess I like "short drives"). While it is technically "North of LBJ" it is not by much, a block or two really.

I have many friends that live in Lake Highlands and they all say it does feel "small town". Some have done teardowns in order to stay. Although, I think any area can feel "small town" depending on the individual and how involved they get in the area.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:48 PM

The OP wants excellent schools, small town-ish, in an area with other transplants. I could not recommend Lake Highlands based on those desires. The transplants are in Frisco. I can see it taking an hour to drive Frisco to downtown Dallas, but not to Spring Valley. (Actually, I would be surprised if the job is at Spring Valley and Coit since that's mostly Hispanic retail. My guess it's the Galleria or maybe along Preston somewhere, like State Farm.)

And here's the down and dirty on Lake Highlands. There are too many low income apartments in that area that are owned by slum lords. There is a crime problem. The Homeowner's umbrella assocation is working hard to do something about it, but the problems are there now.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:27 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,761,665 times
FarNorthDallas ... I'm wondering what your opinion of Spring Creek Elementary in Richardson and Westwood Middle are, Richardson High School is the high school. I've been in the neighborhood surrounding Spring Creek Elementary and it's a nice neighborhood that is kept up nicely and has large shade trees. I think it would be a nice and affordable part of town to live, especially for a new family. Schools are so close - students could walk to the elementary and middle school but yet it's convenient to jump on 635 or 75 to commute.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
FarNorthDallas ... I'm wondering what your opinion of Spring Creek Elementary in Richardson and Westwood Middle are, Richardson High School is the high school. I've been in the neighborhood surrounding Spring Creek Elementary and it's a nice neighborhood that is kept up nicely and has large shade trees. I think it would be a nice and affordable part of town to live, especially for a new family. Schools are so close - students could walk to the elementary and middle school but yet it's convenient to jump on 635 or 75 to commute.
Spring Creek is a GREAT small elementary school - just under 300 kids. It's a nice neighborhood. They have a community pool/tennis you can join if you want to. The houses were built in the late 1960s on slightly larger lots. There is a city of Dallas hike and bike trail called Preston Ridge the runs through the neighborhood. They have a GREAT Memorial Day parade.

Westwood, well Westwood. About 10 years ago, Westwood was struggling and even got an Academically Unacceptable rating one year. Richardson ISD gave the school LOTS of attention and now it is Recognized. They have some outstanding teachers. They require every child to be in at least one extracurricular. They have a free afterschool program with specific classes. The challenge that Westwood will always have is they take in a lot of kids from the Spring Valley and Coit area, which are low income Spanish speakers. Still I know plenty of middle class white families with kids currently in or just recently finishing up at Westwood and they LOVED it.

Richardson High is a pretty good school. They have magnet programs there - Theatre, Culinary, Law, for instance. It is a majority minority school with a third low income. I noticed the vast number of people on the PTA board are from the Spring Creek and Northwood Hills area - the white upper middle class areas. Interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about these schools that are 30% white student body, yet the PTA and the AP classes are all white. Ya know that "private white school within a public poor minority school" thing that we've seen at Preston Hollow Elementary. Anyway, the school gets students from all over the world.

I live in a neighborhood where kids can choose between Parkhill and Westwood and from Richardson and Pearce. More and more are going Westwood and Richardson. Parkhill and Pearce can be very academically competitive and very stressful for kids who are not academic overachievers.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:08 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
The OP wants excellent schools, small town-ish, in an area with other transplants. I could not recommend Lake Highlands based on those desires. The transplants are in Frisco. I can see it taking an hour to drive Frisco to downtown Dallas, but not to Spring Valley. (Actually, I would be surprised if the job is at Spring Valley and Coit since that's mostly Hispanic retail. My guess it's the Galleria or maybe along Preston somewhere, like State Farm.)

And here's the down and dirty on Lake Highlands. There are too many low income apartments in that area that are owned by slum lords. There is a crime problem. The Homeowner's umbrella assocation is working hard to do something about it, but the problems are there now.
I live in Lake Highlands and my wife works at 635/Dallas North Tollway. We live in 75231, near Walnut Hill and Abrams. The schools are excellent - elementary, middle and high school. My neighborhood is quiet, has beautiful mature trees and I see people walking with strollers, jogging or riding their bikes through the neighborhood all the time - which, to me, has a "small-ish" feel (yet is a short drive to downtown or the DART rail). I'd say my area code fits the bill.

In 2010, the Lake Highland Town Center opens (it has a "main street" running through the center with retail on both sides - the plans are really quite nice - and include a DART rail station, which provides access to many areas of the city without having to drive... including the STATE FAIR starting next year!). It's located at Walnut Hill and Skillman and actually knocked down three of these "slum lord" apartment complexes. Crime rates are even on the decline, which with all the redevelopment in the area, including the PID, will continue to be the trend.

Incidentally, my wife and I are transplants, but we met here in good ole' DFW. I'd be happy to have another transplant neighbor. I don't care where people come from, as long as they're nice. If they like wine and dinner... all the better!

Brian

Old 08-02-2008, 08:42 PM

7 posts, read 19,511 times
Thank you, everyone for the helpful comments. We live in a very expensive area, and $700K doesn't buy much here, but it might go farther there. I really think the commute distance and excellent public schools are our top priority, and the small town feel is the bonus! The house doesn't have to be new, but we've found that newer neighborhoods usually mean families and transplants, which is big for us, since we've moved several times.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:40 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,792 times
Keep in mind that the % of property taxes here is much higher. A home that costs $700K will have taxes about $16-17K/year (we pay ~ 2.3% to 2.4%).

Old 08-03-2008, 09:15 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,746,551 times
Good choices given. But I wanted to throw Murphy into the mix too. I've been driving the last 4 weeks to Beltline and the Tollway and it's not too bad. Murphy was ranked #7 in D Mag's best suburbs and it's truly a small town community feel. Everytime I leave the house I run into folks I know. The other night Oncor was going down Murphy Rd and knocked a line loose from one of the poles. I had no qualms about swinging into the firehouse that is right there and letting them know. And knowing I'd run into guys I know that I spent time chatting with at the Baskin-Robbins $.31 Scoop Night a couple months ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas