Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 02:18 PM

7 posts, read 19,514 times

Advertisements

First, I must say this website is fabulous! I have learned so much already. It is wonderful that so many people are willing to take the time to share information.

Now, what I am looking for is this:

My husband is possibly being relocated with his company to a section of North Dallas, zip code 75254.

Our family would be very interested in finding a community with excellent public schools, a good small town feel (we dream about strolling a main street) and a pretty easy commute to the previously mentioned zip. The Dallas area looks huge on the map!

We are coming from the New York area, so the real estate prices will seem very reasonable to us, I suspect. To recap, our wish list for the ideal community would be great schools, family-oriented, small town feel, friendly transplant-types like ourselves.

Thanks very much for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 02:31 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Welcome.

You will have a few options that put you close to your husbands job. Most are not going to be "sparkling new" though. Still, they are going to be some of the "better" areas (better being subjective ) of the Dallas Metroplex. If you want "brand new" you will have to go further out and he will have more of a commute. Otherwise you can stay closer in, have a great "hometown" feel, mature trees, great real estate investment potential, easy access to just about EVERYTHING in the Dallas area. Just depends on what kind of home your looking for and your budget.

I've been over in your husbands future work area every day this week but today. WHEW! Monday was the killer one as it was during afternoon rush hour and going north on Coit all the way up to Campbell was a BEATING! Got stopped at EVERY SINGLE RED LIGHT.

There are some GREAT older neighborhoods in that area with good schools that would give him a 10 minute "commute".

What kind of budget are you looking at on your new home?
How long of a commute does he want?
Older home or brand new?

This info will really help us all pinpoint several areas for you and your family to look at.

FYI, just a heads up being it is Friday, this board can literally DIE over the weekend so I would not expect too much response until Monday. As it is for me........ as soon as dh gets home (which should be anytime)....... I'm outta here

Old 08-01-2008, 02:48 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,634,833 times
Mrs90, if things do slow down a bit you may wish to check out this massive collection of information if you haven't already!

massive collection of information about the Dallas area

Old 08-01-2008, 02:52 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
mrs90,
Welcome to the forum. I, myself am a newbie. I just registered a couple weeks ago. I live about 20 miles north of where your husband's possibly being relocated and have spent a great deal of time in the North Dallas, Carrollton, Plano, Frisco area.

We moved to Texas from Fort Collins, Colorado, 9 years ago and one of the things my wife misses is the main street feel. It's hard to find that down here. All the cities meld together, especially the closer you get to Dallas. The cities I can think of right offhand that have the nostalgic "Main Street" feel are Carrollton, Plano, and Frisco.

momof2dfw is right. If you want newer housing you'll have to move out a ways and depending on your budget, gas costs, highway tolls, that may not be to your liking.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:53 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,654 times
Let me preface this first with saying though originally from Irving, I moved away 24 years ago after I joined the Air Force. Now, that being said, a lot of my family still lives in DFW. My brother lives in Rowlett, works in Dallas, and swears by it. From Addison, which I believe is 75254, it's about a 19 mile commute. With gas prices that might suck, but having been to my brother's house, Rowlett is pretty nice and may be the kind of place you're looking for. NOTE: for those of you who still live in DFW, please say, FB32, you're full of it...if I am.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
We moved to Texas from Fort Collins, Colorado, 9 years ago and one of the things my wife misses is the main street feel. It's hard to find that down here. All the cities meld together, especially the closer you get to Dallas. The cities I can think of right offhand that have the nostalgic "Main Street" feel are Carrollton, Plano, and Frisco.
Wow, we must have passed each other on I-25. I moved to Colorado from San Antonio about nine years ago.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:57 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Fullback they usually say that to me first!

Mrs90 will your husband's office be on LBJ, the Tollway or along Belt Line, etc?

Sounds strange but 'we' might be able shave 10-15 minutes off the commute..

Old 08-01-2008, 02:57 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Wow, we must have passed each other on I-25. I moved to Colorado from San Antonio about nine years ago.
Everyone laughs and tells me I went the wrong way when I tell them I moved from Colorado to Texas.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:59 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Fullback, your full of it

Well, while Rowlett has some nice areas and all I would not highly recommend it. I've lived there. Right now the city is going thru HORRIBLE problems and the least of them are not the high tax rates and utility rates (that they are getting ready to raise AGAIN). If the OP wants to look to the east side of Dallas in a burb I'd HIGHLY recommend Rockwall. Great small town feel, great square, homecoming parades, new development going on all over town, city has kept up w/ infrastructure, etc.

If they want to be closer in and this would depend on desired commute time and price point:
Lake Highlands
Richardson (with MANY options available here)
North Dallas (not FAR North Dallas - there is a difference )

One CAN find some new builds in these areas but they are going to be small pockets that a landowner finally gave in and sold to a developer or a teardown in an existing area. These areas are also seeing some MAJOR revitalizations going on. Old apartment complexes being torn down, etc. Lake Highlands is getting a new development w/ the outdoor shopping venue w/ shops & restaurants along w/ offices and "urban" living options.

Way out in Frisco/Plano land will be a long commute and if they want to avoid the ever increasing gas prices this can be tricky.

It is possible to find the "small town" and "main street" feel, you just gotta look for it.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
fullback, your full of it
I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas