Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:42 PM

330 posts, read 681,485 times

Advertisements

This isn't my article. I just found it online.

» Meandering the Metroplex • Spacing Toronto • understanding the urban landscape

Old 04-23-2010, 12:38 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,060,613 times
lol

Old 04-23-2010, 01:44 PM

428 posts, read 1,396,026 times
I wish he would have met a local in order to get more of the escence of this city. There are many truths (empty, not urban, no desification, not pedestrian friendly). However Dallas has rather good infrastructure and overall is a very livable and efficient city. Also, great character and cowboy culture are highlights personally.

Good article but very subjective.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:32 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
How in the world did the guy think that Fort Worth's museum district was located on the campus of the University of North Texas?

Old 04-24-2010, 01:58 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
Probably because the UNT Med School - formerly TCOM - is just across Camp Bowie from the arts complex. It's still a stupid mistake, however.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:40 PM

5 posts, read 9,578 times
Really excellent article! And one that could only be written by an outsider I think.

As a fourteen-year Dallas resident I found myself agreeing with most of the authors descriptions and conclusions. Dallas "locals" are typically narrow in their experience of other countries and even of US cities; the usual Dallasite is jingoistic rather than incisive in their commentary about the Metroplex.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:52 PM

10,742 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Interesting how it came from a Toronto point of view. Toronto like Dallas is a very modern city, has huge freeways, and are simalar in metro area population. That's where the simalarities end as Toronto is much more dense and urban which is why the author points out the soul-less sprawl of the suburbs, the dead quiet of downtown, and the lack of urban feel in many parts of the city. He gives the city credit and points out that it certainly has character (in which Fort Worth contributes also). The author pretty much articulated the picture of Dallas that I already had in my head.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:44 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontarae View Post
Dallas "locals" are typically narrow in their experience of other countries and even of US cities; the usual Dallasite is jingoistic rather than incisive in their commentary about the Metroplex.
I would agree about being proud of our city, but disagree about Dallasites not being well-traveled. Growing up in the most "Dallas" section of "Dallas" - travel, foreign exchange students, languages and language clubs were always emphasized. Perhaps that is why we are getting the first International Baccalauareate Diploma Programme in the city. SMU and UD were pioneers in the semester abroad movement going back 40 years or so. Neiman-Marcus was innovative and legendary in their fortnight celebrations which focused on a single country each year for many, many decades. Even the corporate nomads out in the 'burbs are over-experienced in business trips and have transferred around the country and sometimes the world. If we are overly-proud of our hometown at least part of the reason is that we are familiar with lesser places or those which are 'nice to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there'.

I mean, for God's sake we have world's largest (if not busiest) airport and we've had it for almost 40 years. However, I've never heard any public announcements about prayers and I have no clue where the airport chapel is located - and I was raised a Baptist and have accumulated nearly one million air miles in just the last 15 years.

Some accuracy on the other items in the article but I wonder how he missed the fact that downtown has an extensive tunnel system where most people are on a day of inclement weather...

Old 04-26-2010, 10:26 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
That article is absolutely spot-on.

Dallas is a major city but doesn't feel like a city.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:26 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I mean, for God's sake we have world's largest (if not busiest) airport and we've had it for almost 40 years. However, I've never heard any public announcements about prayers and I have no clue where the airport chapel is located - and I was raised a Baptist and have accumulated nearly one million air miles in just the last 15 years.

Some accuracy on the other items in the article but I wonder how he missed the fact that downtown has an extensive tunnel system where most people are on a day of inclement weather...

Nope, Denver is the largest in terms of land area, and Atlanta is the busiest.

DFW is third-busiest in Aircraft movements, 8th busiest in number of passengers (as of 2009. DFW is projected to go up in rank this year to #7). 56 Million passengers is nothing to sneeze at!

However, DFW was the largest when it was completed back in '74 though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas