Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 06:20 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,479,005 times

Advertisements

The bike path in this area isn't traveled as much as the bike path around White Rock Lake - which is a highly traveled bike path.
Plus the Sante Fe Trail in East Dallas will soon be complete - although I hear some are already using it.

Best areas for cyclists are Lakewood, Forest Hills, Little Forest Hills, Casa Linda, Old Lake Highlands, Penninsula. Look in 75214 and 75218.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 07:46 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,458,087 times
There is the Preston Ridge trail along Meadering Road in Far North Dallas which is new and not that long, but really the cyclists still just ride on the road even though there is a path. There is also the White Rock path that starts near Hillcrest just north of 635 also. The Richardson Bike Mart at Coit and Campbell has Saturday morning rides with tons of participants. Mobs of cyclists.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:51 AM

1,101 posts, read 4,328,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwiz1 View Post
We were also looking at this area because my husband is a cyclist and it close to the bike path. Plano/Richardson/Garland don't have that, is that correct?
Plano has a linked trail system (Collin County Trails), but it is not nearly as nice to ride as the White Rock Creek/Lake trail. There are several cycling clubs that run rides out of Plano/Richardson/North Dallas - they are street rides instead of trail rides.

It is a little easier to get out on the more rural roads for distance rides from up there than down in town, but there are some nice street rides to take through North Dallas if you don't mind a few stop signs. Have your husband take a look at - Greater Dallas Bicyclists. They also have links to some of the other clubs in town.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:08 AM

1,533 posts, read 7,238,122 times
Last time I was on that bike trail, probably 7-8 years ago now. I seen a group on honest to god gang members. One guy even had part of his face covered with a bandanna. It scared the hell out of me and I left the trail ASAP.

There are trails in others area, though they are not as long of as scenic. There is a trail that runs through Breckenridge Park in Richardson. I'm not sure of the name of the trail, but there is on that crosses Arapaho road just west of Jupiter.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:34 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,150,148 times
This Veneto Condos in Dallas, Texas (http://www.venetocondosdallas.com/condos_dallas/neighborhood.html - broken link) area would be good for you - it's just south of NW Highway. The Katy Trail to White Rock will soon be extended along the DART rail line. In the meantime, most cyclists take University to Trammel to Fisher. I just saw a 'pack' of 30-40 the other night.

This area is not so much townhomes as condos. Some are older converted from well-built, spacious apartments. Many SMU students and staff live in them. There are also a lot of older owners, so it's very stable. Some of the apartment complexes are being torn down for new development. There are two on Lover's Lane going down now and another on Skillman at Fisher/Southwestern. Two others have been sold to a development company.

Central Market is on the corner of Greenville and Lover's so you don't even have to get in the car.

This is 75206 which is between 75214 (Lakewood Proper) and Park Cities.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:35 PM

436 posts, read 1,347,795 times
If I'm not mistaken, I had friends who used to live in that complex when it was apartments. Just not sure I'd want to "own" an apartment that's had what I suspect are purely cosmetic changes. I think I got a postcard from Veneto a couple of weeks ago and I remember thinking that I'd been there.

No matter what you do, avoid the entire area north of NW Highway pretty much all the way to LBJ/635 b/w Skillman and 75. There are many homes that would be nice there (Lake Highlands area) but I'm hard pressed to think of any townhomes that I'd consider acceptable in the area. There may be a pocket here and there though.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:30 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
Look into the Chimney Hill area off Abrams... North of 635.
+1
A friend of mine has lived there for years.. He used to work at Richland so it was great for him. I've been to untold numbers of parties and rehearsals there day and night, and it is clean quiet, and safe.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:09 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,814,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwiz1 View Post
We were also looking at this area because my husband is a cyclist and it close to the bike path. Plano/Richardson/Garland don't have that, is that correct?
What kind of cylists is he? I am discovering several cyclists on this forum. You might look at townhomes east of Greenville on the north side of University. A few of my fellow cycling team-mates live in that area. It is really easy to get to the lake from there. It yook me about 10-12 minutes. I used to live in the village just north of the area, about a block. Easy access to the lake from this whole area. The White Rock Trail goes north from the lake to just on the north side of LBJ, then Payton to meandering Way, which is a major cycling thuroughfare. I usually avoid the trails and stick to boedecker/St. Michaels down to university park and then over to the lake, if I am coming from Richardson or Plano to avoid all the cycling traffic.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
This Veneto Condos in Dallas, Texas (http://www.venetocondosdallas.com/condos_dallas/neighborhood.html - broken link) area would be good for you - it's just south of NW Highway. The Katy Trail to White Rock will soon be extended along the DART rail line. In the meantime, most cyclists take University to Trammel to Fisher. I just saw a 'pack' of 30-40 the other night.
Why didn't you wave?

Old 08-07-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphOfTheSprint View Post

It is a little easier to get out on the more rural roads for distance rides from up there than down in town, but there are some nice street rides to take through North Dallas if you don't mind a few stop signs. Have your husband take a look at - Greater Dallas Bicyclists. They also have links to some of the other clubs in town.
If you follow the link to the forum, it is easy to register, and I am the moderator so I can help you get on. You can post in the non-members forum, so you don't have to joing to post. You can get real detailed answers about all the trails and routes all over the metroplex.

Last edited by PanTerra; 08-07-2008 at 11:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas