Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 08:51 PM

4 posts, read 7,783 times

Advertisements

Our family will be moving from Pasadena,CA to Texas within the next 3 weeks - Yikes! My husband will be working in Bedford. He has been unemployed for the last 9 months. This job came his way out of the blue. We were not looking to move out of CA, since I was born and raised here and all my family lives in the area. My kids and I have never been to Texas and my husband's first time was for the interview. Since this came about so quickly, I haven't had time to mentally prepare for the move. We also don't have time to take a couple trips out there to explore areas.

All the info I have has come off the internet and this site...love this site, by the way. So I am looking for any helpful information to make the transition easier.

Where to live: We will be renting and can pay up to $1900. What are good areas? We will be looking for a 3+ bedroom 2 bath home. We would like a nice family friendly neighborhood.

Schools: My kids have been in a private Christian school. I have a daughter in 2nd grade & a son in 4th grade. I decided that I would homeschool for the first year, so schools aren't necessary right now. I am interested in Covenant Christian Academy in Colleyville for next year. Any thoughts or personal experience in this school?

Homeschooling networks: This will be my first year, so any tips for groups to connect with, supply stores, etc. will help.

I know this is long, so thanks for taking the time to read thought it. I'm nervous, but excited about the adventure that is ahead of us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 09:14 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori1016 View Post
Our family will be moving from Pasadena,CA to Texas within the next 3 weeks - Yikes! My husband will be working in Bedford. He has been unemployed for the last 9 months. This job came his way out of the blue. We were not looking to move out of CA, since I was born and raised here and all my family lives in the area. My kids and I have never been to Texas and my husband's first time was for the interview. Since this came about so quickly, I haven't had time to mentally prepare for the move. We also don't have time to take a couple trips out there to explore areas.

All the info I have has come off the internet and this site...love this site, by the way. So I am looking for any helpful information to make the transition easier.

Where to live: We will be renting and can pay up to $1900. What are good areas? We will be looking for a 3+ bedroom 2 bath home. We would like a nice family friendly neighborhood.

Schools: My kids have been in a private Christian school. I have a daughter in 2nd grade & a son in 4th grade. I decided that I would homeschool for the first year, so schools aren't necessary right now. I am interested in Covenant Christian Academy in Colleyville for next year. Any thoughts or personal experience in this school?

Homeschooling networks: This will be my first year, so any tips for groups to connect with, supply stores, etc. will help.

I know this is long, so thanks for taking the time to read thought it. I'm nervous, but excited about the adventure that is ahead of us!
I'll let others comment on the specifics of your questions sicne I am not knowledgable on those. I am a transplanted Californian and I welcome you to Texas! I would advise that you take a deep breath and roll with the punches since this kind of transition is never easy. I think you will find Texans to be very friendly and welcoming. It will be very hot when you get here, even though in Pasadena (we lived in West L.A. before moving last year) it does get hot in the summer, it does not cool down at night here. Drink plenty of water. The heat of the day is about 4 or 5 in the afternoon. You will probably get homesick which is normal, we miss California too but just the same appreciate Texas for what it has to offer. Good luck!

Old 08-02-2008, 09:27 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Quote:
Bedford itself is a very nice community for young families, and your husband's commute would be very short! You should easily be able to find a rental home within your price range since there are a lot to choose from!

Although Texas certainly isn't California, it is a great place to live. I hope your move goes well, and that you and your family enjoy being new Texans!

Old 08-02-2008, 11:37 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
I agree with Christie, Bedford is indeed a nice place. The drive to Colleyville isn't bad either. Another city to consider would be Grapevine. Southlake and Colleyville have a couple but they are in need of updating in that price range.

Naima

Old 08-03-2008, 07:59 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
You could also consider renting in North Richland Hills, Hurst or Euless (more iffy areas) as long as you were north of 183--they are all convenient to Bedford
North Arlington might be an option if you are homeschooling/renting --it is not that far from Bedford and north Arlington has some nice areas with trees--but Arlington as a city is not one I usually recommend--
more info about Bedford on Fort Worth board since they are both Tarrant county places...

Old 08-03-2008, 06:04 PM

983 posts, read 4,442,256 times
Congrats! I would also recommend the general moving forum. Lots of helpful tips there too! Or is your husband's job paying for the move? Even so good advice on moving.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:53 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,633 times
Quote:

Ok, first of all, I know what you are feeling right now. We used to live in California as well, in Orange County, and got transferred to Dallas. We were definitely as scared as yall are. Moving is not an easy thing at all..believe me. I moved twice, once from New York City to LA(Orange County) and then from there to Texas(Dallas). Its hard at first, but it eventually gets better!

As far as housing and where to live, you will have many choices. There is Southlake, Grapevine, Keller(very young, family-oriented,new area), Arlington, Hurst, Colleyville, or something actually in Bedford. It just depends on if you are wanting something new or something a little older. And how far of a commute does your husband want? All of these areas have some really nice houses in your price range.

As far as schooling, I would only recommend one year of homeschooling as this can cause some problems with your kids as far as socializing goes and being able to work with others. But dont worry, one year wont cause any problems. If I was a kid, I would probably want to be home schooled my first year too, because changing schools can be difficult.

Hope this helps and that yall have a good move to Texas!

Old 08-04-2008, 10:26 AM

7 posts, read 18,479 times
For less then $1900 you could easily find a really decent house in Grapevine. Grapevine simply has more charm and character then the surrounding communites in similar price range. Southlake is quite a bit more expensive and one really doesn't get that much more for the price. Grapevine has excellent access to Grapevine lake.I think once you see the town you'll agree.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:56 PM

4 posts, read 7,783 times
Thanks for all the great advice and welcoming replies. We will officially be there by Sept. 15th. I believe that my husband will be going out to TX at the end of this month for a couple of days to secure a place. Boy, am I trusting his judgment :-) I am hoping to work with a realtor that will have some places lined up for him to see.

Does anyone know anything about the Heritage neighborhood in Keller? The home I saw online looked nice and the virtual tour of the planned community looks amazing! By husband did 'google earth' to look at it and he said the neighborhood appears rundown. Just wondering??

Old 08-06-2008, 12:48 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
Heritage is a DR Horton community with Cape Cod style homes. Usually DR Horton caters to first time homebuyers. First Texas and Morrison used to build there in the early 2000. This particular neighborhood has front entry garages which translates to narrower streets because of cars parked in the front. Trash day is a mess because most people have 2 containers or more... cosmetically, not very appealing.
There is a mandatory HOA but it covers only management fees since there are no community amenities.

Naima
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas