Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 10:35 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,194,116 times

Advertisements

I don't know any city in the US that has decent tap water, but Dallas is pretty bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 10:49 AM

8,590 posts, read 14,744,667 times
We've lived here almost 10 years now and our water comes from Lake Lavon courtesy of the North Texas Municipal Water District (which is asinine considering we're on the banks of Lake Lewisville and Lavon is 20 miles away - water rights, a thread of its own).

The funky taste/smell is from an oil the algae produces. The only way to remove it from the water is via charcoal filtering which is too expensive for a water provider to do on their own. I drink tap water, stench and all, over bottled water because a) it's cheaper and b) anywhere from 25-40% of bottled water is tap water with a plastic bottle, a fancy name, and a high price.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:59 AM

5,640 posts, read 24,849,524 times
Yeah, I seem to remember that Dallas tap water often gets the funcky smell / taste in late summer with algae blooms. Harmless but not desirable... just the price you pay getting water from surface sources in very hot weather.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:12 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,420,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I drink tap water, stench and all, over bottled water because a) it's cheaper and b) anywhere from 25-40% of bottled water is tap water with a plastic bottle, a fancy name, and a high price.
IF you have never seen the Penn and Teller BS about bottled water, I highly recommend it.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:02 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,208,549 times
Default Funky water

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
Weird...I never noticed funky tap water anywhere in the DFW metro. I guess I've just been here so long, I'm immune to it...haha!!! But Lubbock water...now THAT is scary!
LOL! Actually, I'm from Lubbock! When we first moved to the Dallas area from Lubbock about 20+ years ago now, about mid-summer I noticed the water was tasting really weird & SMELLED weird. My son was a baby then and I was additionally concerned that something was seriously wrong with the water. I called about it and they said I could bring a sample in for testing if I liked. But the guy said something like, "but tell me, is this your first summer in Dallas, ma'am?" I said, "Yes, but what difference does that make?!" He said, "Well, we have quite a few "newcomers" to the area who call every summer about the water!" He explained that it does have something to do with the algae overgrowth and how they treat it. Apparently, some years are worse than others!

Old 08-08-2008, 12:05 PM

869 posts, read 2,943,013 times
Dallas water is absolutely delicious compared to the stuff that comes out of the pipes in Austin...

Old 08-12-2008, 09:38 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,733,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
I don't know any city in the US that has decent tap water, but Dallas is pretty bad.
Have you ever visted Little Rock?
I absolutely love central Arkansas water.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:39 PM

176 posts, read 539,872 times
The water in Boulder, CO comes straight from the Arapahoe Glacier.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:09 AM

133 posts, read 512,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
We've lived here almost 10 years now and our water comes from Lake Lavon courtesy of the North Texas Municipal Water District (which is asinine considering we're on the banks of Lake Lewisville and Lavon is 20 miles away - water rights, a thread of its own).

The funky taste/smell is from an oil the algae produces. The only way to remove it from the water is via charcoal filtering which is too expensive for a water provider to do on their own. I drink tap water, stench and all, over bottled water because a) it's cheaper and b) anywhere from 25-40% of bottled water is tap water with a plastic bottle, a fancy name, and a high price.
This is the correct response. The algae grows in the lakes here at a much higher rate than in other portions of the country because the lakes here are actually manmade resovoirs and have very little water movement and are very warm, creating optimal situations for algae to bloom in the summer. If you taste tap water from Lake Michigan in Chicago in the summer, it tastes similar to tap water in Dallas in the winter. The taste cuts down in Chicago in the winter and it goes up in Dallas in the summer. At least that's what I noticed.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:02 AM

7 posts, read 17,242 times
OMG thank god i found this thread, my husband was starting to think i was a lunatic for claiming that Plano water tastes (& smells) HORRIBLE (he claims he can't taste/smell anything, and that i'm just being "prissy", lol). now i can show him this thread and prove that i'm not the only one who thinks the water here tastes downright disgusting!

We just arrived here yesterday (moved from Los Angeles) and this is our 3rd time in Dallas area (Plano) since July. EVERY TIME we are here, and every restaurant we go to, i almost gag on the taste of the water. I first noticed it at the first hotel we were staying at (a Marriott in Plano), and i could barely stand just the *smell* of the water as it ran from the sink or shower. To me, it smells/tastes like dirt, or freshly cut grass. Ew. To me, water is not supposed to have a taste or a smell at all...but here it definitely does!

I have lived in Los Angeles, Boston, Cleveland, New Jersey, San Francisco bay area, and have frequently visited other Texas cities like San Antonio but I have *never* come across a more foul-tasting water than the water here in Plano. (so far i've just spent time in Plano area--i am going to live in McKinney, hope it's not the same there)

i read i that the bad taste is from algae, and it's only in the summer, well i really really hope that is true, otherwise it's strictly bottled water for me!!

a side note - i wonder why some ppl (like me) can barely stand the smell/taste the water but others (like my husband) cannot even notice it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas