Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 11:16 PM

132 posts, read 660,976 times

Advertisements

I have been researching areas out near Lake Fork and Lake Tawakoni and the area seems beautiful. The property seems really cheap in comparison to DFW area, but Im sure there is a catch. I am not worried about commutes as I will travel most of the week, and visit the office in Plano once a week. I would enjoy being away from the city hustle, but what is the scoop on these areas as far a permenant residence? What about schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 12:08 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,864,420 times
I definitely like the rural living as well and plan to do that once I raise enough funds. Renting a small apartment for work and then commuting to the ranch will be optimal.

Also how, "cheap" are we talking here? From what I've seen lake front property isn't that cheap compared to rural non-lake property.

What properties are you looking at exactly?

I think that the land is cheaper because there is probably no city water, no trash, no schools, no electricity and to get hooked up to the grid will cost a lot. Most important of all - little to no jobs. Most people can't afford to rent a city unit and then buy a home in the rural areas.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:26 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,252,969 times
Well, I think that if you want to be that far out from the city, you would probably want to get a home with some land... at least a few acres. Lakefront is still going to be higher than the average but still cheaper than the metroplex of course.

You can find an 800K property and the neighbor next door to it a mobile home.

Of course the further you go out the cheaper it is. The West Tawakoni/Quinlan areas have been experiencing a lot of growth...

A couple of the school districts are:

Quinlan ISD has 4 schools of thish 3 are rated acceptable and 1 recognized.
Rains ISD also has 4 schools of which 3 are recognized and the 4th one (jr high) is rated acceptable.

Naima

Old 08-14-2008, 05:25 AM

132 posts, read 660,976 times
Some examples of what I have seen:

Texas > Lake Fork real estate, lakefront properties, lake property, lake homes for sale, waterfront properties, lakefront, waterfront

Old 08-14-2008, 07:41 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,864,420 times
Wow, lots of nice land. Everything looks like it is being sold for market price give or take. 5-10k/acre seems like what land goes for these days.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:46 AM

308 posts, read 1,232,123 times
A lot of lakes in North Texas do not allow private boat docks on your land because the Army Corps of Engineering or the State owns a certain amount of setback from the land to the water. So you might want to check on this if it important to you.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:38 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
We have a place on Lake Tawakoni. Do a search on the forum and you can find everything that has been posted about it.

You CAN build a boat dock/house, pier, etc out on Tawakoni along w/ a private boat ramp. The Sabine River Authority has control of that area.

There are schools - with bus service , electricity, utilities, etc all down there. City water and all. We do have a septic system though as most do and then the purifier that cleans and filters it and waters the yard with it. Most do that anyway down there. Cable, phone, etc all there. Trash pick up once a week, mail service, etc. Just like living here. Heck, even some areas have an HOA.

When I get back in later and have more time I'll post more info.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:32 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,432,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
We have a place on Lake Tawakoni. Do a search on the forum and you can find everything that has been posted about it.

You CAN build a boat dock/house, pier, etc out on Tawakoni along w/ a private boat ramp. The Sabine River Authority has control of that area.

There are schools - with bus service , electricity, utilities, etc all down there. City water and all. We do have a septic system though as most do and then the purifier that cleans and filters it and waters the yard with it. Most do that anyway down there. Cable, phone, etc all there. Trash pick up once a week, mail service, etc. Just like living here. Heck, even some areas have an HOA.

When I get back in later and have more time I'll post more info.
Ya, I have heard people talk about that lake, but I never knew where it was. Where is it? It sounds like a real nice lake from what you have said. I may have to go check it out.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:14 PM

869 posts, read 2,954,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornfan22 View Post
Where is it?
You're already on the internet. If you are really all that interested in knowing where it is, you just MIGHT be able to find a map. You know, Google might be able to help you with that. Maybe.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:22 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,432,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffari-al-texani View Post
You're already on the internet. If you are really all that interested in knowing where it is, you just MIGHT be able to find a map. You know, Google might be able to help you with that. Maybe.

Ya, right after I posted that, I went and looked for it on Google and found it. It is east of Rockwall on 276. It looks like it is a pretty good size lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas