Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 05:32 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,737,925 times

Advertisements

Thanks bk for your insight. I drove around White Rock lake when I visited last. I don't think I ventured much into the Lakewood area, west of the lake? What is the zip code for that area? I found St Thomas on the internet, looks like a good school and could be a good fit for my younger two. Is the high school Woodrow Wilson? My oldest would go there. I don't think I could persuade him to go to private school after being in public the last two years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 03:36 PM

36 posts, read 148,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulf5driver View Post
Thanks bk for your insight. I drove around White Rock lake when I visited last. I don't think I ventured much into the Lakewood area, west of the lake? What is the zip code for that area? I found St Thomas on the internet, looks like a good school and could be a good fit for my younger two. Is the high school Woodrow Wilson? My oldest would go there. I don't think I could persuade him to go to private school after being in public the last two years.
Yes, Lakewood is west of the Lake - zip code is 75214.

Woodrow Wilson is the local high school. It is a very diverse school, over 85% Hispanic. They do have good AP programs, though, and very good drama program. If it matters, their football team has been pretty good the last 2 years.

Bishop Lynch is the closest Catholic high school, and it is a very good, well rounded school.

Old 01-31-2007, 04:20 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,736,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bktx1 View Post
Yes, Lakewood is west of the Lake - zip code is 75214.

Woodrow Wilson is the local high school. It is a very diverse school, over 85% Hispanic. They do have good AP programs, though, and very good drama program. If it matters, their football team has been pretty good the last 2 years.

Bishop Lynch is the closest Catholic high school, and it is a very good, well rounded school.
A good friend coaches at WW. Sergio Kendall recently came out of there and recieved a pretty good scholarship for football AND academics.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:50 PM

5 posts, read 10,665 times
Hello -

I don't think you mentioned how old your children are, but I was raised in Dallas (East Dallas-Lakewood-M Streets) and attended school from 1st through 12th in East Dallas so I'll start with elementary's -

In my opinion, you can't do better than Stonewall Jackson Elementary School on Mockingbird Lane (M Street area) - not only have they consistently had top-notch teachers, but their students are both hearing and deaf which made for such a diversified group of people who studied together, participated in sports together, and as a plus, hearing students were taught ASL - we celebrated the differences we all have rather than seeing challenged people (or anyone different for that matter) as unusual or something to be looked at strangely.

It made a huge difference in the way young people from SJE and the other elementary schools that melded into Jr. High and High School together related to the definite multicultural group of kids that made up the outstanding Woodrow Wilson High School.

I also (briefly) attended St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic School in the same area and have nothing really derogotory to say about it, except maybe that's where I really LEARNED to be mischievious...other than that, it's an excellent private school.

I can't say enough good things about the Lakewood/Swiss Avenue area...you will not be unhappy if you choose this area and most likely, you will never need to venture outside your little Lakewood, Swiss Ave., Lake Highlands area for anything....it's all right there...no need to utilize the HUGE city that is Dallas, unless you want to..living in Lakewood is like the coolest, hippest, most unique place to be with anything you need within it's borders -

Feel free to send me a message if you want more information on the public high schools, etc...

Hope you enjoy Dallas!

Old 01-31-2007, 06:55 PM

sorry..I just saw that you have children of varied ages...hope my info helps.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:58 PM

also...try the 75206 zip codes..they include the M Streets and specifically the Stonewall Jackson Elementary area!

Old 01-31-2007, 09:21 PM

36 posts, read 148,320 times
ditto everything the last poster said!

Old 02-01-2007, 05:34 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,737,925 times
good info. Not sure of the original poster, but I have a 6th & 7th graders and a 10th grader, who does not play football but plays hockey. Does Wilson have a hockey team? What is the middle school that serves Lakewood - pros/cons? Middle school is such a bizarre time in children's lives, we would probably enroll our middle schoolers in private if we went that route. We welcome the diversity and AP classes of high school tho. My high schooler actually knows of someone that went to Wilson and is now at SMU.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:47 AM

2 posts, read 4,527 times
Default great relo info, thanks!

Wow...thanks for all the great information. Feeling a bit more calm although what the h$*# are we thinking, moving to Dallas in July.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:57 AM

J. L. Long is the middle school - it's on the same campus as the high school. It's okay, but not the standout Woodrow Wilson is. WW does not have a hockey team as far as I know, at least it didn't years ago. Bishop Lynch (Catholic) and Jesuit Prep do though. Bishop Lynch is a fine school and not far from the Lakewood area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas