Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 12:09 PM

70 posts, read 313,352 times

Advertisements

I've already searched the forum here and looked at the TXDOT website and have been unable to come up with the answers to a few things.

Does a new resident have to get a Texas title? I ask because my vehicle is already titled from the state I moved from and any additional fees I can avoid paying I'd like to do so.

Is the county tax office on Elm Street in Dallas the only place to register a vehicle in Dallas County? If so, what kind of wait times are there? If not, what are my other choices?

I already have TX insurance and have had my vehicle inspected/emissions tested. The registration seems to be a complicated process.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 12:22 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,329,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysky View Post
Does a new resident have to get a Texas title? I ask because my vehicle is already titled from the state I moved from and any additional fees I can avoid paying I'd like to do so.
Vehicle Requirements for New Residents

Quote:
Is the county tax office on Elm Street in Dallas the only place to register a vehicle in Dallas County? If so, what kind of wait times are there? If not, what are my other choices?
Dallas County Tax Office Locations

Old 08-15-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I've already searched the forum here and looked at the TXDOT website and have been unable to come up with the answers to a few things.
Triumph, I've already checked that site and was wondering if maybe someone here has recently moved and gone through the process that could answer my questions in the OP.

Last edited by sunnysky; 08-15-2008 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 08-15-2008, 01:03 PM

33 posts, read 187,321 times
We just moved here from CA, and we did not have to change our title. When I went to the county tax office, she asked if I wanted to. I said only if it was a requirement, because it would be an additional fee. In the future if the car was sold, at that time the new title would be texas.

Just so you know, I went to the county office for tarrent County in Southlake. I was the ONLY person there the entire time it took to process 2 vehicles! I heard its busier at few days at the end and beginning of the month.

Also FYI, inorder to get your TX DL, you need to supply either a passport or birth certificate, in addition to your out of state DL, original SS card, texas registration on all vehicle owned, and proof of INS on said vehicles. THAT being said the DL office was MUCH BUSIER when I went . Though I had to wait an hour after getting my number from start to finish, by the time I left the line just to get a number was out the door with more then 20 people in it.

I found getting the DL frustrating, because when I got my DL in other states I just had to turn in my old one and take an eye test( husband military so I have had DL in 5 states). The webiste did not state that you needed a passport or birth Certificate, which required a return trip to the house to get it. On the other hand, they let me do all the car registration trasnfer even though I am not the owner of the vehicle, my husband is, and in the CA, I had to have a POA to accomplish that.

good luck!

Old 08-15-2008, 01:10 PM

Thank you so much for the helpful reply marinewife. That's exactly the info I was looking for. I kept seeing conflicting info on whether or not a TX title was required.

You said you went to Southlake in Tarrant County for registration ... Do you live in Tarrant Co? I was under the impression that you had to register in the county you live in and I live in Dallas Co. It just seems strange to me that there would only be one tax office to register a vehicle in a county this large, so I was wondering if I was missing something.

I should be OK on the DL. The state I moved from also had a lengthy identification process to get a license, so I have all my documents.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:17 PM

33 posts, read 187,321 times
I am sorry I should have clairified. I am in Tarrant county.... and I chose to drive to the Southlake office that was a bit farther away. There should be more then one in the Dallas Area for you to go to! The TX DOT site had all the offices listed, or you can call and ask, the Offices I called in Tarrant county were more then helpful on the phone !

Old 08-15-2008, 01:48 PM

176 posts, read 541,858 times
I recommend going to the Tax Assessor Site in Garland for your registration. There was hardly any line. If you are coming from another state you will need a vehicle inspection (even if your car is newer) which you can get at anyplace with the texas inspection logo out front, your insurance declarations page (not just a card, since they have to check coverage amounts, though they will sometimes allow you to have them fax it to the office while you are waiting to be processed as I did with my Progressive policy), your registration from another state, and your leinholder's address if you are making payments. I did not need to show a title.
The process was very quick and I was out in less than 10 minutes with two license plates and a new registration. It is a bit expensive as you have to pay a new resident's fee as well as the yearly registration. Also- you will need to display a plate in the front of your vehicle, which may be a problem if you have no front plate holder (like me)

Old 08-15-2008, 01:55 PM

176 posts, read 541,858 times
If yoiu think the registration is complicated wait till you get the license. You need the registration and insurance, plus your old license which will be confiscated and a birth certificate and social security card. They would not accept my birth certificate as it was not from the hospital but was from the county. I had to dig out a passport. The you get a temporary license (with no photo so you will be without a photo ID for a while) and the official licese will be mailed to you in a little over a week.
e prepared here, as there is a long wait just to be told what forms you need and an even longer wait after that.
I have been told the downtown location is the best to get a license as they do not do drivers license tests at that location. After having such great luck at the Garfield one for the registration, I went to Garfield for the license (note that the registration and licensing are at different buildings) and that was a big mistake. Very fast at the registration place and ridiculouslly slow for license!

Old 08-15-2008, 01:56 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,577,844 times
Quote:

I already have TX insurance and have had my vehicle inspected/emissions tested. The registration seems to be a complicated process.

Thanks.
I didn't think that the military personal had to change license and registration on their vehicles with each transfer????

Old 08-15-2008, 04:31 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,230,523 times
Fighter1, are you military? Or asking on behalf of another military?

I'm near Fort Hood and see DoD stickers on l-o-t-s of cars. Some transfer their titles to Texas some choose not to do so. I assume they have the choice of a military exemption to that registration requirement. But then I see lots of cars in other parts of Texas without DoD stickers and no Texas registration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: