Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 10:56 AM

428 posts, read 1,396,026 times

Advertisements

Can we just spend this money in Dallas, for example building a connecting line from East to West (via LBJ or Northwest Highway?). Why do we need to build these lines up there? Let's beef up the city and then the burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 11:22 AM

636 posts, read 1,916,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portorro View Post
Can we just spend this money in Dallas, for example building a connecting line from East to West (via LBJ or Northwest Highway?). Why do we need to build these lines up there? Let's beef up the city and then the burbs.
What do you mean by "this money"? Are you aware that for a city to be part of DART, they must opt-in by contributing sales tax revenue to building/expanding the system. This means they have as much right to service as any other city that is part of DART.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:42 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,433,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portorro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb2522 View Post
What do you mean by "this money"? Are you aware that for a city to be part of DART, they must opt-in by contributing sales tax revenue to building/expanding the system. This means they have as much right to service as any other city that is part of DART.
Not only is tycobb correct, but from a purely selfish point of view - I want the northern burbs to have an easy time getting into Dallas. If it is easier for people to get into Dallas, more money will be spent here, and the tax revenue will go up. Every time I ride the Red line into downtown., or to the zoom there are lots of people from Plano on the train. I'm sure many of them would be less likely to make the drive, than they are to ride the train. The money they drop for dinner and a concert, or lunch and a visit to the zoo, stays in Dallas. It helps our economy, and gives us greater tax revenue, which can be used to build that East West line we need.

Personally I wish we would make a more concerted effort to speed up lightrail construction both N/S and E/W it is going to take WAY too long to get rail to Love Field and DFW.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:54 AM

636 posts, read 1,916,074 times
Yes, the expansion of commuter rail is a good thing for everyone. I'm sure you are aware that The T is adding commuter rail from the FW Stockyards into Grapevine along the existing Cotton Belt rail line. This will hit a boutique station in downtown Grapevine, then continue to the north end of DFW, hitting a large station. Continuing into DFW it will hit a station in the terminal area, and then pick up the existing station at the south end.

The plan is to have this completed within 10 years. I don't know what the timetable is for Parker Rd to the north.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:38 AM

28 posts, read 126,818 times
Having lived in 5 cities in 20+ years I can only go on what I have seen happen to nieghborhoods after about 10 years.

At first everything is geat,it always is.
but mass transit is run on tax dollars and there is never ever enough tax dollars cause politcans get hrown out after too much is taken or the economy swoons.

good luck I currently travel most of the time so real estate prices/ crime affect me differently than they might for you

Old 09-01-2008, 12:12 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,066,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude1959 View Post
Having lived in 5 cities in 20+ years I can only go on what I have seen happen to nieghborhoods after about 10 years.

At first everything is geat,it always is.
but mass transit is run on tax dollars and there is never ever enough tax dollars cause politcans get hrown out after too much is taken or the economy swoons.

good luck I currently travel most of the time so real estate prices/ crime affect me differently than they might for you
Well, the problem with the point you're trying to make is that the system in Dallas, DART, is already 12 years old. According to your theory, the neighborhoods around the stations should have already degenerated into urban hellholes. Or did I misunderstand you? Exactly what do you think happens after 10 years that is bad?

Quote:
I can only go on what I have seen happen to nieghborhoods after about 10 years.
The Red line stations are over 10 years old. What's wrong with their surrounding neighborhoods such as Mockingbird Station or the West Village? They look pretty good to me. So what are you going by?

Old 09-01-2008, 01:10 PM

28 posts, read 126,818 times
10 years is just a general figure.

but you didnt or couldnt contradict my other statement about mass transit is run on tax dollars etc

Old 09-01-2008, 03:07 PM

983 posts, read 4,441,061 times
I have been studying the Dart website and maps and I was totally shocked at the lack of service to and from so many areas via trains/lightrail. I hope the buses make up for that and I am glad it is coming in the future. I think if people had the option then they would use it. Look how ridership has increased in every major metro due to high gas prices.
Now I am disappointed in the lack of service to and from DFW airport. My last trip to Dallas I was able to drive 2.5 miles to the green line and park and ride to LAX. It cost me 1.25 total each way. And I was able to get home at 11 p.m. when I got back since the last train leaves after midnight! I don't live in the city of L.A. I live in a suburb about 20 miles south of downtown L.A. I did have to deal with the rejects of society, loud, ignorant, disrepectful bufoons! But it was worth 1.25!

To the person that said prop values go down, in my neighborhood it's not the case but I think the bigger problem is that the train has to route thru some of the worst parts of cities and that's where you are going to get the type of people that don't know how to behave in public and disrupt everyone elses peaceful living. I don't mind riding the train with anyone, just sit down and shut up!

Old 09-01-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude1959 View Post
10 years is just a general figure.
Well, in general, what do you see that's wrong with the neighborhood around Mockingbird Station? How is it worse than 10 years ago? Actually, it looks like a lot better neighborhood to me... lots of new construction, very upscale...

You said a neighborhood deteriorates 10 years after they put in a rail station. Did you mean it or not? Do you know what you're talking about? Do your numbers make sense?

Jude, you were unwise enough to make a generalization that is contradicted by an obvious fact.

Quote:
but you didnt or couldnt contradict my other statement about mass transit is run on tax dollars etc
So what? We pay taxes to a government so it can spend money on the common good, and people in the DART service area have decided that DART provides for the common good. You're entitled to an opinion, but everybody else is entitled to ignore it.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
I have been studying the Dart website and maps and I was totally shocked at the lack of service to and from so many areas via trains/lightrail. I hope the buses make up for that and I am glad it is coming in the future. I think if people had the option then they would use it. Look how ridership has increased in every major metro due to high gas prices.
Now I am disappointed in the lack of service to and from DFW airport. My last trip to Dallas I was able to drive 2.5 miles to the green line and park and ride to LAX. It cost me 1.25 total each way. And I was able to get home at 11 p.m. when I got back since the last train leaves after midnight! I don't live in the city of L.A. I live in a suburb about 20 miles south of downtown L.A.
The DART Orange line will connect to the DFW terminals by 2013, much better than the Green Line in LA, and there will also be a direct connection from the DFW terminals to Fort Worth.

In the meantime, you can take an airport shuttle bus to the TRE CentrePort station and catch a train to downtown Dallas or downtown Fort Worth.

DART has pretty good bus connections to the major employment centers of Dallas and the suburban service areas, but most of the Metroplex is outside of the DART service area. In California, transit is organized on a county basis, but here in Texas, it's on a municipal basis. This means that municipalities that want it will not be outvoted on a countywide basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas