U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 11:22 AM

147 posts, read 219,377 times

Advertisements

Front entry houses are ugly! The trash cans, the oil spots in the driveways, and the open garage doors make a neighborhood ugly quickly!

Better to get a gun and shoot the criminal breaking into the car.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 11:35 AM

549 posts, read 2,114,208 times
That could work.

Coming from NY I am used to the front entry.

I would find it weird never going into my house via my front door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastDallasNative View Post
Front entry houses are ugly! The trash cans, the oil spots in the driveways, and the open garage doors make a neighborhood ugly quickly!

Better to get a gun and shoot the criminal breaking into the car.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:43 AM

3,035 posts, read 13,933,810 times
If you want a front entry home (like I did), then the best place I've come across is Stonebridge Ranch. The entire community is Front Entry and the HOA is gestapo. Leave your cans out, fine. Oil spots in the driveway, clean them up. I know many of you hate HOAs, so don't start in on me with regards to HOAs. Personally, I like strict HOAs. I truly believe that they preserve the value of your investment; Stonebridge is a good example of that preservation in Mckinney (i.e. people pay more per sq/ft in Stonebridge as opposed to neighboring communities in Mckinney).

As for rear entry, I spent alot of time looking at homes in Frisco and personally I've grown to like the look of a rear entry home. As Mom pointed out, I also like how it creates an environment where the kiddies can ride their bikes on the sidewalk w/o worrying about cars pulling out. But really the benefits end there for me

The main things I did not like:

1. having a garage in my backyard. Unless your on a nice size lot, this backyard garage dwarfs your lot in the back, which is where most people tend to hang out (I rarely see anyone in the front of the house here). On one home I liked, they actually had a 3 car garage, and it was nice, but the yard ended up being 20' x 30'...which on a 300k+ home is not that acceptable. Now there are those motorized fences now that go around the garage, those are nice, but now you have a driveway in the backyard (vs. the front of course).
2. In addition to #1, I hate looking out the back door and seeing an ominous looking wall which is the side of the garage.
3. When the area is rear entry and people still park in the front, it looks real bad because there is no driveway. Very cluttered looking.
4. I think it is alot more social to have front entry. I often tinker in the garage on weekends and wash/wax cars, or fix stuff etc. In doing so, I've always had nieghbors come over and chat. In the back of the house, I imagine that I'd rarely hang out there because it feels like an alley.

Last edited by socketz; 02-07-2007 at 05:58 AM..

Old 02-07-2007, 02:20 PM

549 posts, read 2,114,208 times
I can deal with the rear entry garage but Im pretty sure there would not be as much crime if they were in the front.

I also agree it can make the neighborhood feel more social if people actually entered and left their homes via the front door.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:52 PM

1,560 posts, read 6,898,454 times
Actually in a number of neighborhoods people still park out front, especially in the cul-de-sacs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas