Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 11:54 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,521 times

Advertisements

Why I think HOA are the enemies of private property rights

Frisco man says HOA won't let him park pickup on driveway | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Latest News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/DN-friscopickups_17met.ART0.West.Edition1.4d8a269.htm l - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 12:07 PM

473 posts, read 1,568,436 times
That is simply absurd. I could see it if the truck were on blocks or something of that nature. If it runs and is up to to speed on registration and inspection then what is the problem?

This is the quote that stood out to me. "The high-end vehicles that are allowed are plush with amenities and covers on the back. It doesn't look like a pickup," he said. "It's fancier."

Doesn't look like a pickup? Give me a break Mr. Osborn.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:10 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,517,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
Why I think HOA are the enemies of private property rights

Frisco man says HOA won't let him park pickup on driveway | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Latest News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/DN-friscopickups_17met.ART0.West.Edition1.4d8a269.htm l - broken link)
I agree that this rule is shallow and elitist, however I'm sure that the homeowner was given the HOA guidelines prior to purchasing. He should have read the HOA rules before buying the house. This sounds like a particularly snotty HOA, but HOA's can benefit many single family neighborhoods and they are essential in a condominium or townhome community.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:59 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,745,552 times
I wonder what the exact wording is. Our HOA bans heavy duty trucks in the drive (but can't ban them from the street). But it's vague on what the definition is.

I'm having trouble imagining the wording - is it banning pickups? Then it shouldn't matter if it's a Lincoln or not. If it's not banning pickups, then to arbritrarily say "high end with amenities" would be a violation.

This guy has one other option - appeal to the other homeowners and see if they want to amend the CCRs to allow pickups (say 1/2 ton OK, 1 ton not). and then put it to a vote. People forget that the CCRs aren't unchangeable.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:18 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
"Stonebriar HOA rules allow several luxury trucks on driveways, including the Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Avalanche, Honda Ridgeline and Lincoln Mark LT.

But most Ford, Dodge or Chevy pickups are restricted."

(from the Dallas Morning News)

Old 08-17-2008, 01:25 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
That's why I don't want to live in a neighborhood with an HOA...

I'd bet Liberty Legal or the ACLU would probably love to take his cse and sue the HOA. To not allow a homeowner to park an American-made, street-legal passenger vehicle on his own private property is stupid.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
I agree that this rule is shallow and elitist, however I'm sure that the homeowner was given the HOA guidelines prior to purchasing. He should have read the HOA rules before buying the house. This sounds like a particularly snotty HOA, but HOA's can benefit many single family neighborhoods and they are essential in a condominium or townhome community.
THe problem is that one can be forced to join an organization in order to own a home. This to me flies in the face of private property rights.

Sometime in my lifetime HOA's went form voluntary organizations that helped organize social groups, and care for community property areas, in to required organizations that can control every facet of your private property. I have great respect for the former, the latter should not be allowed to force membership, the only penalty they should be able to extract is to force you to leave the organization, just like any other group.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityconvo View Post
That is simply absurd. I could see it if the truck were on blocks or something of that nature. If it runs and is up to to speed on registration and inspection then what is the problem?

Not only is it up to speed the article says it is new.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
"Stonebriar HOA rules allow several luxury trucks on driveways, including the Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Avalanche, Honda Ridgeline and Lincoln Mark LT.

But most Ford, Dodge or Chevy pickups are restricted."

(from the Dallas Morning News)
That's one person's statement. Is that the actual wording in the HOA documents? I doubt that.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
That's why I don't want to live in a neighborhood with an HOA...

I'd bet Liberty Legal or the ACLU would probably love to take his cse and sue the HOA. To not allow a homeowner to park an American-made, street-legal passenger vehicle on his own private property is stupid.
Do you really want to get into the arguement about what is "American-made" or do you think the arguement should be about the legality of the documents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas