Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 08:44 PM

87 posts, read 315,673 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to add that I've never felt like anyone holding the can/cup was pressuring me at all. Most are pretty passive and actually quite courteous, at least in my experience. I haven't felt threatented by them or anything like that.
But for those who have had negative experiences, I can see how it could be more threatening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 09:41 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,305,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2TwoBoys View Post
I know others will think I am encouraging panhandling by giving to the people on the street corners, but whenever I can stop (when light is red or at a stop sign) I put some money in the cans/cup whether it's for a charity or just someone down and out asking for help. I think there's a reason why I am at that intersection at that time. I just see it as a person needing some help and if I can help, I feel I should.
I understand it can be intimidating when there are large groups of homeless people panhandling (as in some areas of San Francisco), but I haven't seen that in North Dallas, Far North Dallas, or West Plano (and I drive around these areas everyday).
Not me! I saw the group of people the other day. They were in the lanes of traffic, waving their white buckets and trying to talk (beg) people into giving money. To be honest, I'm not sure if I ever saw the organization name they [supposedly] were raising money for. Personally, I do not appreciate people I do not know asking me for money on a street corner - regardless whether I am on foot or in a vehicle. There is one thing I am very certain of - if enough people give them money, they will be back. Also, you can be sure that the word will get out (if enough people give them money) and others will try it. That is exactly what I do not want. Now you might want the number of beggars to increase - but not me!

Old 08-22-2008, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,029 times
Default Really?

Quote:
I know others will think I am encouraging panhandling by giving to the people on the street corners, but whenever I can stop (when light is red or at a stop sign) I put some money in the cans/cup whether it's for a charity or just someone down and out asking for help. I think there's a reason why I am at that intersection at that time. I just see it as a person needing some help and if I can help, I feel I should.
I understand it can be intimidating when there are large groups of homeless people panhandling (as in some areas of San Francisco), but I haven't seen that in North Dallas, Far North Dallas, or West Plano (and I drive around these areas everyday).
Really? I would not feel safe rolling down my window in some areas with my child in the car "Mom2TwoBoys". The OP did not say it was initimidating, just that it is an eyesore. Which it is. There are so many services and charities available in this country to help those who actually need it that I question why anyone would actully need to panhandle on the side of the road, unless they have chosen that lifestyle as an easy way to make a few bucks, live off the grid, and not get a real job. The OP does not want to see it, and I don't blame her, neither do I.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:46 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,305,822 times
Quote:
I just wanted to add that I've never felt like anyone holding the can/cup was pressuring me at all. Most are pretty passive and actually quite courteous, at least in my experience. I haven't felt threatented by them or anything like that.
But for those who have had negative experiences, I can see how it could be more threatening.
Do you like street preachers? When I waved-off the fellow with the white bucket begging for money he asked me if I was a Christian? I don't want to have a verbal conversation with someone I don't know that is begging for money at a busy intersection. They should not be out there. No more than I should be out in front of your house standing on the curb looking at your house. How would you like that?

Old 08-22-2008, 09:48 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,032,189 times
I work downtown and give them money all the time. I'm sure some of them have been scams and some are legit. A buck is not going to change my lifestyle and somebody just might get a meal out of it. The might go buy a quart of liquor but since I am blessed to have a home and a car what they do with the buck is up to them. My intentions were pure and thats good enough for me.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:52 PM

115 posts, read 310,135 times
MaryS80-
I live in Southlake and moved to get away from all of that ugliness.
The police will arrest anyone that tries to deflect or degrade the pride we have in our Utopia.
You live in Garland-probably South Garland- that explains it all!

Old 08-22-2008, 10:18 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberland View Post
The police will arrest anyone that tries to deflect or degrade the pride we have in our Utopia.
And we have a new winner for the worst, most arrogant thing I've ever seen on this board.

Arrest anyone who tries to degrade the pride you have?

So the first amendment doesn't apply in Southlake?

This makes me want to go there and just walk around saying Southlake sucks (not that I actually think it does) ro see if your police will arrest me for degrading the pride you have in your area.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:46 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
And we have a new winner for the worst, most arrogant thing I've ever seen on this board.

Arrest anyone who tries to degrade the pride you have?

So the first amendment doesn't apply in Southlake?

This makes me want to go there and just walk around saying Southlake sucks (not that I actually think it does) ro see if your police will arrest me for degrading the pride you have in your area.
LOL!!! We can have a GRAND party now. Boy, this is getting GREAT!

Everyone, NEXT Saturday meet up in Southlake Town Center and wear a pair of the NASTIEST pair of overalls w/ holes in them. Make sure they have been rolled in some good fertilizer first (or just visit Frisco to see if the smell will rub off on you). If it is hot then cut the pants legs into shorts (each leg a different size). Oh, and the LARGER you are the SHORTER your "shorts" should be. Then, underneath the overalls you MUST wear ANY shirt that says, "Pride of Southlake", "Southlake Rules", "I Love Southlake", "Southlake Football State Champs", "Southlake". It would be best if any of these shirts were either wife beaters or t-shirts w/ the sleeves cut off (a dull pair of kiddy scissors would work fine to do this job). As for footwear........ a pair of nasty lake sandals w/ white socks unless you happen to have a pair of boots fresh from the pasture. If you can black out some teeth that would be AWESOME! Women, tease your hair to Jesus and wear the "BEST" 80's makeup job you can. Men, long sideburns ROCK!

Be sure to drive over in your BEAT UP Ford, Chevy or Dodge Pick-up Truck. Make sure to take it "muddin" before you come.

After we are done terrorizing Southlake with our "good manners" we can then parade over in our trucks to Stonebriar.

Why? Cause if anyone comes to Southlake that day and sees all of us w/ all of this "Southlake Pride" they will think this is how ALL people in Southlake dress.

We can see if the Southlake Police try to arrest us for "degrading" their "utopia".

Oh yeah, I live in Garland too Guess that explains it as well. Sure hope Ms. Kimberland fines her a might fine home in Sacramento. Hopefully her realtor won't steer her to any "bad areas" that are like Garland. BRAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!

Old 08-22-2008, 11:11 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberland View Post
MaryS80-
I live in Southlake and moved to get away from all of that ugliness.
You live in Garland-probably South Garland- that explains it all!

I don't think I have to add anything. You made yourself look bad, thanks for saving me the trouble.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:15 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
LOL!!! We can have a GRAND party now. Boy, this is getting GREAT!

Everyone, NEXT Saturday meet up in Southlake Town Center and wear a pair of the NASTIEST pair of overalls w/ holes in them. Make sure they have been rolled in some good fertilizer first (or just visit Frisco to see if the smell will rub off on you). If it is hot then cut the pants legs into shorts (each leg a different size). Oh, and the LARGER you are the SHORTER your "shorts" should be. Then, underneath the overalls you MUST wear ANY shirt that says, "Pride of Southlake", "Southlake Rules", "I Love Southlake", "Southlake Football State Champs", "Southlake". It would be best if any of these shirts were either wife beaters or t-shirts w/ the sleeves cut off (a dull pair of kiddy scissors would work fine to do this job). As for footwear........ a pair of nasty lake sandals w/ white socks unless you happen to have a pair of boots fresh from the pasture. If you can black out some teeth that would be AWESOME! Women, tease your hair to Jesus and wear the "BEST" 80's makeup job you can. Men, long sideburns ROCK!

Be sure to drive over in your BEAT UP Ford, Chevy or Dodge Pick-up Truck. Make sure to take it "muddin" before you come.

After we are done terrorizing Southlake with our "good manners" we can then parade over in our trucks to Stonebriar.

Why? Cause if anyone comes to Southlake that day and sees all of us w/ all of this "Southlake Pride" they will think this is how ALL people in Southlake dress.

We can see if the Southlake Police try to arrest us for "degrading" their "utopia".

Oh yeah, I live in Garland too Guess that explains it as well. Sure hope Ms. Kimberland fines her a might fine home in Sacramento. Hopefully her realtor won't steer her to any "bad areas" that are like Garland. BRAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!

oh yes heaven forbid "south" garland. South anything is just so low class, really south lake should change its name because anything south is obviously inferior. I purpose that Southlake be changed to jut Lake so it can rid itself of any of the negative connotations associated with the word south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas