Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 08:21 AM

473 posts, read 1,568,579 times

Advertisements

I am sticking with half cleaned toilet for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 08:22 AM

636 posts, read 1,916,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityconvo View Post
I am sticking with half cleaned toilet for now.
That's a half- _ssed response.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:28 AM

105 posts, read 240,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb2522 View Post
Debind, I think all she's trying to say is she doesn't want it where she lives, and that happens to be west Plano. The NIMBY attitude transcends west Plano; it is alive and well everywhere people live, and we are all guilty of it to some extent.
I agree -we are all guilty of it to some extent. That doesn't mean I think it's OK. It's like those off-color racist jokes -you can stand by and chuckle even if you think it's wrong, or you can call someone out on it, and let them know that you think that attitude is offensive.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:29 AM

473 posts, read 1,568,579 times
Quote:
That's a half- _ssed response.
Think of it as an optimistic viewpoint.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:30 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachiepants View Post
I have stated on several posts that what I said is what I meant. I am STILL entitled to my opinion, like it or not. I don't want to see it in any part of Plano, but especially not the part of Plano I live in and drive in every day. You may have a problem with my statement and whatever sentiment you feel it conveys. I do not.
I will give you credit in owning up to being a snob. Many folks don't do that and try to come across as some holier-than-thou person by saying they don't like X, but that's OK because they give money to Y. Oh wait, that reminds me:

Quote:
Let me first say that we contribute to many, many charities. I have given money to firefighters, state troopers, the SPCA, Public Television, breast cancer research, museums, Goodwill, etc, etc. I don't even itemize my taxes so it's not for the purposes of deduction, either.
You can't buy your way out of guilt - giving money to folks that you deem good, as long as they stay away from you and your little wanna-be safe haven. I give money to my church and charities, too, and you know what? That doesn't mean squat. You may give more than me - does that mean that your opinion means more than mine?

Geesh... I don't normally attack, but my goodness. Some people.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:41 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,786 times
Quote:
Ok, dammit, Macbeth says toilet, Jaffari says cesspool, and Grainraiser says cesspool. What is it? Can we not all agree on the proper terminology for human waste receptacles to be used as insults?
Why restrict. One of the glories of the English Language is that it has so many words. Not only do we have different words for each kind of human waste receptacle. We have synonyms for the words for most types.

Commode
Toilet
Water Closet
Cesspool
Cesspit
Chamber pot
Privy
Can
Head (Colloquial)
Latrine
Lavatory
Loo (Colloquial)
Bog (Colloquial)
Crapper (Colloquial)

Ahh English. King of language, may you flourish always!

Old 08-22-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
I will give you credit in owning up to being a snob. Many folks don't do that and try to come across as some holier-than-thou person by saying they don't like X, but that's OK because they give money to Y. Oh wait, that reminds me:

You can't buy your way out of guilt - giving money to folks that you deem good, as long as they stay away from you and your little wanna-be safe haven. I give money to my church and charities, too, and you know what? That doesn't mean squat. You may give more than me - does that mean that your opinion means more than mine?

Geesh... I don't normally attack, but my goodness. Some people.
Why is it unreasonable to assume the point was: we give in our own way; we shouldn't have to deal with it on the streets?

To many people it's visual clutter, no less than bandit signs in the right of way. Many cities have ordinances banning those. And in her town, her opinion does mean more than yours. She's not complaining about them in LH...

Your post regarding permits was much more relevant.

Last edited by tycobb2522; 08-22-2008 at 08:52 AM..

Old 08-22-2008, 08:57 AM

105 posts, read 240,684 times
Quote:
To many people it's visual clutter, no less than bandit signs in the right of way. Many cities have ordinances banning those.
That goes to the heart of the difference here.

Some people see those people and think -ewww...poor...dirty...criminal and they don't want to see it. they live in a sanitized world and anything that challenges your utopia is relegated to object status - clutter if you will. Something to "deal with" , and compare them to inanimate objects like signs!

Some people see those people and see - pain...tragedy...guilt -some of us see the PEOPLE and wonder about them -and wonder about the city of Dallas being the largest city without a city run homeless shelter, wonder when last they ate, wonder where they will go when the storms hit, wonder how they got there, wonder how a country so proud of it's soldiers could be so unforgiving to it veterans. They are people and they have a story and a life. They are real and they don't always stay where they "belong".

Last edited by DebinD; 08-22-2008 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-22-2008, 08:57 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
I have stated on several posts that what I said is what I meant. I am STILL entitled to my opinion, like it or not. I don't want to see it in any part of Plano, but especially not the part of Plano I live in and drive in every day. You may have a problem with my statement and whatever sentiment you feel it conveys. I do not.
I'll have to agree w/ lhnewbie. WHAT A SNOB!!!!!!!! So those "poor" people over in EAST Plano or CENTRAL Plano do not deserve the same respect YOU DO since YOU live in WEST Plano. Right Sorry honey, the CITY of Plano is NOT going to institute a law that DIVIDES the city into zones as such. For the CITY of Plano to try to make different laws for one side of Plano ONLY would be ASSININE and only showing how SOME people view themselves better than others. Exactly what YOU have demonstrated. Talk about an uproar and I'd be rooting for those "poor" people over in EAST Plano on this one. Yep, EAST Plano is soooooooo POOR that the PRESIDENT of TI lives on THAT SIDE Shot, even the PRESIDENT of the Dallas UNITED WAY lives on the EAST side of 75 (just not in Plano but a "lowly" burb)

Maybe YOU should stop limiting your daily drives to just WEST Plano. Let me guess, you have even tried to have "WEST Plano" put on your drivers license because you want EVERYONE to know you don't just "live in Plano" but rather WEST Plano.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebinD View Post
That goes to the heart of the difference here.

Some people see those people and think -ewww...poor...dirty...criminal and they don't want to see it. they live in a sanitized world and anything that challenges your utopia is relegated to object status - clutter if you will. Something to "deal with" , and compare them to inanimate objects like signs!

Some people see those people and see - pain...tragedy...guilt -some of us see the PEOPLE and wonder about them -and wonder about the city of Dallas being the largest city without a city run homeless shelter, wonder when last they ate, wonder where they will go when the storms hit, wonder how they got there, wonder how a country so proud of it's souldiers could be so unforgiving to it veterans. They are people and they have a story and a life. They are real and they don't always stay where they "belong".
That's why lh post regarding permits was pertinent. If it is legal, there's nothing that can be done about it. If it's not, then they will be removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas