Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2008, 05:40 AM

306 posts, read 1,161,820 times

Advertisements

Can someone please direct me in understanding the TX trade unions? My husband is a tiler and I am confussed as to what he will need in regards to licenses in TX. Can he join a union? Is there one for Tilers? How hard is it to find work as a tiler in the N. Dallas area now?

Any help and direction is most appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 08:22 AM

6,819 posts, read 14,029,650 times
To my knowledge tilers are not unionized. Also beware that Mexican workers pretty much dominate the construction trade fields in Texas. They are not be confused with Hispanics because there is a difference. Any one moving to the Texas area needs to be aware of this.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:01 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyUK View Post
Can someone please direct me in understanding the TX trade unions? My husband is a tiler and I am confussed as to what he will need in regards to licenses in TX. Can he join a union? Is there one for Tilers? How hard is it to find work as a tiler in the N. Dallas area now?

Texas is , what is called in the USA, a Right to work state. In effect this means no one can be forced to join a union. In other words no closed shops here in the USA. As a result being a union member in Texas is often more of a hinderance than a help in finding work. You will find working in that kind of trade a very different thing here in the USA, than in the UK. . Such kinds of work are largely unregulated here.

I have not heard the term Trade Union since I lived in the UK.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:31 AM

430 posts, read 1,358,988 times
Quote:

Tilers is not a regulated business in Texas and you do not need a license.

The posts on construction labor being dominated by Mexican immigrants is true.

But, high-end home finish-out and general home repair is dominated by skilled craftsmen from all ethnic groups and they make very good money and are generally very busy.

I am not sure what UK tilers do, but if he does floor as well as walls, then he can make a very good living IF he is highly skilled and has an artistic bent and works hard.

What he WILL need is a portfolio that he can show potential clients of his work. He should tour some high-end model homes and visit with some home remodellers to get a feel for what the market likes and what he can charge. He should get a business license AND talk to a local bank about starting his business if he wants to go that route. Otherwise, he can try to get on with a home remodeller.

Its very easy to get work in a right to work state if he can do sales. Once he gets going, word of mouth will take over from there.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:35 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,230,523 times
Quote:

If he's good at his trade he'll want to set up shop as a contractor. Of course, he'll have to prove his work somehow, somewhere. But as a contractor he can take on jobs for individuals to do tiling in their homes or elsewhere. Tiling does not require licensing in Texas.

He would want to go to the county secretary, register a business, about 10 or 20 bucks depending on the county and start advertising. He'll want to establish contacts for reference and to drive business.

And what austinnetx said.

Last edited by WillysB; 08-22-2008 at 11:48 AM..

Old 08-22-2008, 12:41 PM

430 posts, read 1,358,988 times
FWIW,

I have a good friend who does frescoes on tiles. She is an accomplished art professor who is retired. She does very, very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: