Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2008, 11:58 AM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You say Dallas doesn't have a university worth much. Then you contradict yourself, saying UT Arlington is fine. Which is it?
It's not a contradiction, I never said UT Arlington is where Einstein would want to go today, I personally think that someone who goes to college is at least smart enough to figure out that you can't get by on High school education. What is more so, I never even said it was the best education in the metropolitan area. I think that we should be applauding these people who barely graduate high school and choose to go to college, Not calling them stupid. Most Universities are ok, but there are a select few that are.

just because you have a bad SAT doesn't mean your stupid, or a bad GPA. Most of these kids are smart and lazy, or have to work hard for those SAT scores. SAT isn't the TAKS test, the SAT is harder. Be get real UT Arlington is not the ghetto. Some students couldn't afford to leave to go to school in California or Massachsetts, much less Austin down south. Some of these kids will grow up to be more rich and successful then some of us with a low SAT score.

The school where you go to isn't that important in the long run, I had a relative who teaches at TCC (Tarent County Community College), but has taught at TCU and SMU. She says that the arrgance at those school is very high. SMU is becoming better, much like USC, almost a younger version of it.
Rice is significant, it doesn't matter of that the student body is small. Anyone knows the universities is where research is done, UTSW is not exactly huge... but yet it is one of the top contirbuting Medical Schools in the WORLD.

The criteria it has to meet is that it is highly selective, puts out lots of new significant research and discoversies. It must put out students who have made discoveries. SMU is not exactly famous for that now is it? I'm not saying if you go to SMU, which by all means is not a bad school... I just think its on par with rice, it doesn't mean you're doomed to be unsuccessful or unable to do significant research.

Quote:
Anyone who watches the old Dallas TV show would recognize SMU as the place where the Ewing granddaughter attended college. But that is just publicity. If international recognition is all that the DFW schools need, then a good advertising campaign would do it.

In actual practice, people in other countries would just focus on a handful of colleges in the US, and be oblivious to most of them. This is a result of media exposure more than anything else.

The Indian city of Bangalore has become one of the world centers of the high-tech information Technology industry. CMDallas, are you able to name the top 3 universities in Bangalore? No? Well, so much for your international reputation theory.
No I can't, I'm not going to lie to you. Would you stop acting so aggresive, this is a discussion, Not a Trial. I can name the top universities in the People's Republic of China, the top ones in Mexico, Canada, Japan, Taiwan, and a few in Russia, France, and India. It is not a theory, everyone knows Hearvard and Yale...while many may not know rice for its size, it's student body is more 'Smart' (according to some of you who are all SAT and GPA bassed) then those at SMU.
Wow a TV show about SMU. SMU is famous for rich kids attneding it to met other Rich young singles to keep another Generation of Rich kids flowing. A school reputation by TV doesn't mean its any good, I don't see your logic here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 12:22 PM

627 posts, read 1,621,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Chicago-U of Chicago
San Fran- Cal and Stanford
Los Angeles- Cal Tech and UCLA
Houston- Rice
NYC- Cornell
Austin- UT
Detriot- UM (although it is some time away it is in the area)
Pittsburgh- Carnegie Mellon
Boston- Harvard and MIT
etc... so many more but Dallas....
Did you intentionally leave out Columbia?

I would like to add to that list, Atlanta, a similiar size city to Dallas, has Emory, which is not Harvard, but still so much more prestigious than SMU.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:42 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,761,665 times
Here's another interesting thread about SMU:

//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...about-smu.html

Old 08-31-2008, 12:43 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor2007 View Post
Did you intentionally leave out Columbia?

I would like to add to that list, Atlanta, a similiar size city to Dallas, has Emory, which is not Harvard, but still so much more prestigious than SMU.
Cornell is in Ithaca, which is upsate NY. Not even close to NYC.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:16 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,068,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Cornell is in Ithaca, which is upsate NY. Not even close to NYC.
Yeah, I was going to mention that myself, but I got sidetracked on other issues. The poster was maybe confusing Columbia and Cornell.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:23 PM

627 posts, read 1,621,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Yeah, I was going to mention that myself, but I got sidetracked on other issues. The poster was maybe confusing Columbia and Cornell.
That would make my point even stronger that he probably intentionally leave out Columbia.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:34 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,068,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
It's not a contradiction, I never said UT Arlington is where Einstein would want to go today, I personally think that someone who goes to college is at least smart enough to figure out that you can't get by on High school education.
Einstein was not prominent as a student. He was so not well known, he had to take a job as a patent clerk. By the way, do you know where Einstein went to college? How well known is it to you? If you haven't heard of Einstein's college, it must not have been any good, right?

Quote:
just because you have a bad SAT doesn't mean your stupid, or a bad GPA. Most of these kids are smart and lazy, or have to work hard for those SAT scores. SAT isn't the TAKS test, the SAT is harder. Be get real UT Arlington is not the ghetto. Some students couldn't afford to leave to go to school in California or Massachsetts, much less Austin down south. Some of these kids will grow up to be more rich and successful then some of us with a low SAT score.
I don't know if California or Massachusets should be a model for higher education, in view of their struggling economies.

Quote:
The school where you go to isn't that important in the long run, I had a relative who teaches at TCC (Tarent County Community College), but has taught at TCU and SMU. She says that the arrgance at those school is very high. SMU is becoming better, much like USC, almost a younger version of it.
Rice is significant, it doesn't matter of that the student body is small. Anyone knows the universities is where research is done, UTSW is not exactly huge... but yet it is one of the top contirbuting Medical Schools in the WORLD. True, the school you go to is the last thing they look for on your resume, if they consider it at all.
Yes, it matters to Houston as to the tiny size of Rice. It simply doesn't have the body count to contribute to Houston. In terms of the vast amount of research done in Houston or Dallas, Rice is a drop in the bucket.

Quote:
The criteria it has to meet is that it is highly selective, puts out lots of new significant research and discoversies. It must put out students who have made discoveries. SMU is not exactly famous for that now is it? I'm not saying if you go to SMU, which by all means is not a bad school...
Well, thanks for specifying criteria. And why does Dallas need a highly selective school with professors who are focused on research as opposed to teaching? And by the way, graduate students don't make "discoveries", they do donkey work for their professors, and maybe get their names on one of his papers.

Quote:
No I can't, I'm not going to lie to you. Would you stop acting so aggresive, this is a discussion, Not a Trial. I can name the top universities in the People's Republic of China, the top ones in Mexico, Canada, Japan, Taiwan, and a few in Russia, France, and India.
Well, I'm just using your own criterion of the WOW factor, where if foreigners know about a school, then it's good. You're a foreigner relative to India, but you admit you don't know the top schools in a famous hi tech city. The point is that reputation is not significant.

Quote:
Wow a TV show about SMU. SMU is famous for rich kids attneding it to met other Rich young singles to keep another Generation of Rich kids flowing. A school reputation by TV doesn't mean its any good, I don't see your logic here.
I've seen lots of TV shows and movies about Harvard, Yale, etc., does that mean they're not good? BTW, you didn't specify how the rumor of a school's fame is supposed to spread, if not through the media, then how? The rumor mill? We all know that rumors are worthless, eh?

Old 09-02-2008, 11:50 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
There is also a "Prep factor" with SMU which may not be readily apparent. Going to SMU is an entree to meet and glad-hand anyone from any other preppy school...

Old 09-02-2008, 12:23 PM

468 posts, read 1,886,933 times
One Big Thing that Dallas Is Missing:

Mountains with an ocean view.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:50 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
You can see those if you take a ride on The Flying Red Horse atop the Magnolia Building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas