Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 08:53 AM

17 posts, read 31,287 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My Bf just took a job in Irving, TX and we are looking to purchase a home by Oct. 1st . We are in our late 20's and currently reside in Philadelphia. This will be our first home purchase, and our budget is 100-200K. We are looking for an 'artsy' kinda neighborhood. Would be great to be within walking distance to some nightlife. From this forum I've created a list: Lakewood, Little Forest Hills, M Streets, Addison? Is it unrealistic to hunt in these desirable spots with such a limited budget?
I'm finding lots of listings online that read 'for lot value only', mostly in M streets vicinity. Unless you buy in a protected district (historic) will your neighborhood turn into condo-ville?
Are there surrounding towns that I should maybe check out if the funds won't go far in Dallas? Would Fort Worth be a viable option?
Thanks in advance for your replies !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 08:59 AM

308 posts, read 1,232,378 times
For that budget you will not find any house in Lakewood or the M Streets. The listings in those neighborhoods for lot value only are in really bad shape will require a lot of money to repair

There are some nice, smaller houses in Little Forest Hills, which is more of an artsy neighborhood. You also might want to check out the area just east of White Rock Lake (which is called Old Lake Highlands) and maybe Junius Heights, which is just sout of Gaston Ave near Lakewood (although this last area is still transitional and there are a lot of run down properties and cheap apartments, but some very nice homes too).

Old 08-26-2008, 09:11 AM

473 posts, read 1,568,726 times
No Lakewood and the M Streets will not work. There are a few options in Little Forest Hills for under 200k but they will be 2 bed 1 bath and around 1100 sq ft and less. There are a few listings currently. Also at that price they will most likely need a great deal of work.

As Bill mentioned Old Lake Highlands (75218) may work but it is getting very difficult to find anything there for under 200k that doesn't need extensive work.

Junius Heights (75214) is a good option. Mostly craftsman bungalows and you will be on the high end of your budget.

One other option that may work for you is Oak Cliff. It is a very artsy area and would be a much closer commute to Irving than the Lakewood area would be. Check in zip 75208 in Kings Hwy historical district and Kidd Springs. Both neighborhoods are very close to the Bishop Arts District. Two other artsy areas worth looking at in Oak Cliff are Elmwood (75224) and Beckley Club (75216).

http://www.bishopartsdistrict.com/

Last edited by cityconvo; 08-26-2008 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: Add link.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:56 AM

93 posts, read 397,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityconvo View Post
One other option that may work for you is Oak Cliff.
Just seconding the Oak Cliff suggestion. Much better commute to Irving from North Oak Cliff than from East Dallas. And there's still a fair number of cool old homes in your price range.

I'm also partial to the Beckley Club and Elmwood neighborhoods (lots of creative, artsy folks in Beckley Club for sure) but I would also recommend the Ravinia Heights, Dells District, Kidd Springs, North Cliff & Hampton Hills neighborhoods. Hampton Hills is only a couple of blocks in size but it looks very similar to the M Streets in East Dallas.

Here are some of the neighborhood association websites:

Beckley Club Estates - Home

Elmwood Neighborhood Association

Hampton Hills Neighborhood Association in Oak Cliff - Dallas, TX

The Dells District » Home Page

Kidd Springs Neighborhood Association

You should know that some of these neighborhoods are re-emerging after years of neglect but they are all on their way up. Oak Cliff is the coolest part of Dallas in my opinion.

Good luck!

Old 08-26-2008, 10:04 AM

473 posts, read 1,568,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward_from_Dallas View Post
You should know that some of these neighborhoods are re-emerging after years of neglect but they are all on their way up.
Good luck!
This is certainly true. For a rough comparison though not precise think of the urban renewal occuring in NoLibs and Fishtown.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:25 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
If it's zoned for single family, they can't build condos. You might be able to find a 'distressed' townhome or condo for that price around Lower Greenville -- look around Matilda around La Vista and south of Ross to Bryan. That would be 75206. Little Forest Hills is not too far away from the cool stuff. Parkdale and Urbandale are a bit farther but have the artsy quotient.

There were some bargains in Junius Heights but I checked some site a few weeks ago and it showed the average listing price at $297,000. If you check around 75214 you might find something. South of Columbia on Alton, St. Mary etc there might be a bargain. It's next to the currently dumpy Mount Auburn (75223) - across from the new Santa Fe Trail. Mount Auburn nearer Hollywood Heights (Cristler, Cameron) might also work. MA is full of Craftsman Bungalows but many have been bastardized beyond repair. There is a small amount of tear-down/mcmansion movement there. Could go either way as it is surrounded by better stuff...

Old 08-26-2008, 02:56 PM

To the OP: Stay away from Oak Cliff and anything else south of Interstate I-30. Some people here recommend this area, which has some nice parts, but is surrounding by trash/slums/crack houses and is the worst part of Dallas. To suggest living there is irresponsible and misleading to someone not from dallas.

Good luck.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:09 PM

93 posts, read 397,116 times
kverde18,

Maybe Oak Cliff is for you, maybe it's not. But it is home for a lot artists, musicians, actors and other creative types. There are a lot of old homes there, both in your price range and plenty way above your range. And it's not a far commute to Irving. All things you are looking for.

You may not end up liking Oak Cliff at all but don't write it off because of billdfw. He is a troll who craps in every thread that concerns the parts of Dallas south of Interstate 30.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward_from_Dallas View Post
kverde18,

Maybe Oak Cliff is for you, maybe it's not. But it is home for a lot artists, musicians, actors and other creative types. There are a lot of old homes there, both in your price range and plenty way above your range. And it's not a far commute to Irving. All things you are looking for.

You may not end up liking Oak Cliff at all but don't write it off because of billdfw. He is a troll who craps in every thread that concerns the parts of Dallas south of Interstate 30.
You are the one who dropped into this thread touting your ghetto, drug infested area.

All anyone has to do is drive around south dallas, oakcliff, and anything below I-30 in Dallas, outside of the little pockets to see that I am correct.

Thanks.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:24 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdfw View Post
You are the one who dropped into this thread touting your ghetto, drug infested area.

All anyone has to do is drive around south dallas, oakcliff, and anything below I-30 in Dallas, outside of the little pockets to see that I am correct.

Thanks.
Actually, South Dallas has several different plans on the drawing board. Its the only side of town large swaths of open land are still available for development, the rest of Dallas is built out all the way & land locked by surrounding burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas